Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I am 20 year old female looking to join the US Army. I am currently a cadet in AROTC. I have a muscular build however,I am having trouble meeting tape and passing my APFT. My body fat percentage is 34. I really love the Army and want to pass-any suggestions? I am open to workout regimes and healthy diets and welcome any advice.

Southern~Bella2008

Posts: 3 | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
Well, what is your current exercise routine now? What parts of the APFT can you pass?

You need to have a good mix of cardio and weight-lifting in order to burn fat and build muscle. Don't worry about getting big by lifting weights because it takes a good amount of time to actually get there.

You also need to cut-out 100% of all sodas, sugarey drinks and all fast-food.

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." - Eisenhower

Posts: 480 | Location: Around the world.... | Registered: 15 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another suggestion, although SPC Lucia's is probably best for you in the long run, is to do next exercises.

The greater the circumference of your neck, the likelier you are to pass a tape test.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of eatyourface
posted Hide Post
Hydroxycut has worked great for me. I am a natural "fat kid", even though I PT as hard as I can and eat properly. I have even done "studies" on myself to see if it actually works or if i just think it does (taking it for a few months, then getting off it. and keeping the rest of my lifestyle the same. Did this a bunch of times) You know what? Hydroxycut seems to even out my chris farley like metabolism. I still have to eat right and exercise, but it keeps my body in check. Also Im a big fan of the "no carbs past lunch" mentality, and I try to eat several small meals throughout the day instead of 3 squares.

Posts: 37 | Location: Ft Couch | Registered: 30 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of eatyourface
posted Hide Post
Ah... forgot to mention... Im sure everyone has heard of "portion distortion". Well I grew up in a family where food is a big deal. Having a natural chubby kid in me didn't help. I had to learn what actual portion sizes look like for me, and I always use a "salad plate" to eat instead of the regular size plate. I still get satisfied when I do have a full size meal, I just don't overeat. Hope this helps!

Posts: 37 | Location: Ft Couch | Registered: 30 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 68WWife/92FSoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eatyourface:
Hydroxycut has worked great for me. I am a natural "fat kid", even though I PT as hard as I can and eat properly. I have even done "studies" on myself to see if it actually works or if i just think it does (taking it for a few months, then getting off it. and keeping the rest of my lifestyle the same. Did this a bunch of times) You know what? Hydroxycut seems to even out my chris farley like metabolism. I still have to eat right and exercise, but it keeps my body in check. Also Im a big fan of the "no carbs past lunch" mentality, and I try to eat several small meals throughout the day instead of 3 squares.

I have two kids and have been working out like a mad woman for the last year since my hubby left, the last month or so I've been taking lipo 6x in addition to a strict gym routine and diet and it has given me a bit of a boost as well. It targest the torso more so than Hydroxy cut does, or so I've found with myself. It's not a magic pill but if you work hard and use in conjunction with excersize and a GOOD HEALTHY diet, then you will go far.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Advice... Go upstairs, grab your big girl panties, and put them on....

Posts: 287 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 15 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
WOW! Thank you for all of your replies. I just joined Gold's Gym and I am currently doing a detox via a natural body cleanse. I am increasing my water intake from 8 glasses a day to 12 glasses a day. Also, I am taking the Green Tea fat burner pills. Cutting out all sugars and fast foods. But.....I Hate to run lol. I know that's what soldiers do but its the truth I hate it. Do any one know a site I can go to so I can download Army cadences? They really motivate me.

Southern~Bella2008

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
I hate running too! What works for me is using each of the different cardio machines for a certain amount of time instead of just straight-up running.

I.E., seven minutes of elliptical, seven on the stair-climber, seven running on treadmill, etc...

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." - Eisenhower

Posts: 480 | Location: Around the world.... | Registered: 15 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
but isn't terrain running different from machine running?

Southern~Bella2008

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
Yes, but all of it will help with your overall run. Most importantly, you need to train your whole body, not just the parts you use when you take a PT test.