ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  General Enlistment Discussion    entering army intelligence with a defaulted student loan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

entering army intelligence with a defaulted student loan
 Login/Join

posted
hi my question refers to my eligibility to enter army intelligence. i scored a 79 on the asvab and had an average of 116/117+ on all the categories. i need a top secret security clearance to enter intelligence. i also have 22 college credits, high school diploma, and other non relative certifications. now the only thing in my way is my defaulted student loan debt of 30,000 which was origionally 12,000 but due to the bad economy and high interest rates i wasnt able to land a decent job that would give me the necessary income to pay back my debt. aside from my student loan debt i am over qualified for the position of 35m, 35L, 35w...etc. i have my heart set on intelligence because its the only job that could challange me. what are my options? i'd hate to waste my first 4 initial years in the military just to pay off my debt to be intelligence qualified, i rather do something i would love.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 21 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Let's review....
You scored a 79 on the ASVAB. That means 20 percent of the individuals that have taken the ASVAB performed better than you did. This also means they probably have higher line scores than you as well. You were unsuccessful at gainful employment with 22 college credits, high school diploma, and other non relative certifications. Yet you feel the need to advertise that there are positions in the army that you feel are beneath you and that if you don't get to do what you want to do it is a waste.

Your options....
Realize the Army doesn't need you more than you need it at this time of bad economy/troop drawdown, and get some humility.

Posts: 88 | Registered: 10 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FIFTYCRUSHPLAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArrogantLion:
hi my question refers to my eligibility to enter army intelligence. i scored a 79 on the asvab and had an average of 116/117+ on all the categories. i need a top secret security clearance to enter intelligence. i also have 22 college credits, high school diploma, and other non relative certifications. now the only thing in my way is my defaulted student loan debt of 30,000 which was origionally 12,000 but due to the bad economy and high interest rates i wasnt able to land a decent job that would give me the necessary income to pay back my debt. aside from my student loan debt i am over qualified for the position of 35m, 35L, 35w...etc. i have my heart set on intelligence because its the only job that could challange me. what are my options? i'd hate to waste my first 4 initial years in the military just to pay off my debt to be intelligence qualified, i rather do something i would love.

Overqualified??? Really guy? You are UNDER QUALIFIED, if anything. The Army will give a turd like yourself an Article 15 (reprimand) for these patterns you have shown reffering to your financial lack of responsibility. Try the Air Force, during this draw down the Army does not need hindrances like yourself!

Get Some!

Posts: 562 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
YA with that amount of loans...and the fact that your are not mature enough to pay them pack...you have zero chance of getting into the 35 field and to be honest with 30,000 in debt you may not get into the army...so sounds like you are not over qualified....

SFC T

Posts: 161 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i am excited i received such a high response. i am not insecure enough to boast my score. its not lack of maturity its lack of ability. i exhausted all efforts to repair my student loan. i am already excepted i just need to get a top secret security clearance to work for intelligence. i would like to achieve that goal... and 30,000 is low in contrast to some of my friends. i am looking for advice to achieve that goal. i am not egotistical but i am willing to do what it takes to achieve my intelligence goal. given the economy its not uncommon for people have student loan debt.

posted Hide Post
when i said over qualified i ment i scored 117 on both the gt and the st category... 16 above the requirement.

posted Hide Post
only adive i will give you....take whatever job your recruiter tell you is open...all jobs pay the same and all jobs come with there own challanges...if you do not like the job..the army does not need you...the armys target group is 17-24 years old and their are planty of them wanting to serve this great country...and your ASVAB does not matter i've seen 99 only have one job..and i have seen plenty of 90+ pick cook, or inftry, or MECH because those are they jobs they wanted...and last why would the army want to inhert your debt..you may not look at it that way..but eveything you bring into the army the army inherts....every SM/NCO on here knows what i mean..

SFC T

Posts: 161 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
at this point all i need to do is choose and swear in. i wanted intelligence for a genuine reason. i am 24 and i am willing to do this until i retire or i get killed, whichever comes first. army intelligence is something i would dedicate myself to 110%. not that every other job is beneath me but i feel very passionate about this mos and wether i spend the next 4 years in the military to pay my debt off then so be it. i incurred this debt when i was 18 then when the economy went south my industry went down with it. then it was a constant failed struggle to stay on my own to feet... i am sure many civilians can relate. i am willing to do any and all sacrifices for my goal and nothing else is holding me back from it. given my disposition what else would you have me do?

posted Hide Post
"i am not insecure enough to boast my score."

It is not a security issue. It is a humility issue. If I would have scored that low, I would be embarrased.

"i am already excepted"

I believe the word you are looking for is accepted not excepted.

"i am not egotistical but i am willing to do what it takes to achieve my intelligence goal."
Really? Seemed like you were quick to boast about some mediocre achievements. I would categorize that as egotistical.

"i am sure many civilians can relate"

Soldiers are impacted by a failing/ struggling economy as well. They have the ability to relate to the situation fine.

"given my disposition what else would you have me do?"

I would have you recognize that you are not as great as you have built yourself up to be in your world. One important tenet to being a Soldier is selfless service not selfish service.

posted Hide Post
@RRT-NPS,CPFT- sounds to me like your looking for an argument and sadly i am not your punching bag. i didnt post on this forum to project the qualities you desire. i posted for advice... and i sincerely apologise if that is what you took from me. my intentions was to ask more experienced people how to go about achieving my goal of intelligence given my position. my score is ultimately irrelevent. i made my score known so people on this forum can have a better idea of who i am and my situation. i am not trying to compete or prove a point. i am trying to achieve advice. so just relax because i have no quarrel with you. why do you bother posting if you just want to be condecending. so i ask that you give me the same respect i have given you.

posted Hide Post
Then I will lay it down straight for you, You probably will not be able to get into the intelligence field. With 30k in debt and haven't shown the ability to pay it back, for whatever your situation. You need a top secret clearance and with 30k in debt 99% sure will not be able to get it. The government will put you in as a risk with that much debt. You might be able to get a secret clearance but I doubt it with you not having tried to pay off your debt. If you really want to join the military as you say then join in whatever field/job they have available for you and start making a tremendous effort to pay off your debt and then in a couple years when its time to reenlist you can apply for the intelligence field and re class into it.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 17 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@FormerartillarySSG - thanks you for your honest advice. i do know that student loans arent frowned upon like other debt. i actually heard they are a good debt because the demonstrate that you are trying to make yourself better. and i have made several attempts to correct the situation but no dice... i'll continue my thought l;ater

posted Hide Post
@ArrogantLion,

It is not about qualities I desire...it is about qualities the Army desires. You are going to be a member of that organization. This means you will be expected to "live the Army values." These are loyalty, duty, RESPECT, SELFLESS SERVICE, honor, integrity, and personal courage.

"why do you bother posting if you just want to be condecending. so i ask that you give me the same respect i have given you."

I provided you with accurate advice. It is not my problem if you didn't like it. As far as you feeling disrespected, now maybe you can relate to all those other Soldiers that you disrespected in your original post.

So once again, my advice to you is learn to be humble. Once you sign the contract and make that commitment it is not about ArrogantLion anymore. It is about the US Army.

posted Hide Post
humility i get that... if you met me in person you'd realize humility is not an issue. i appreciate your point and perhaps i do need a dose of humble pie now and again. disrespect was neither projected nor intended... but i dont want to get in symantics... i have already demonstrated all those character traits for getting this far with the military. i may not get what i want but perhaps there's something good that will come of it. from all the recruiters that i have met they like my drive, attitude, determination... etc because they know my head is in the right place leading from the front as a good soldier does. perhaps i am being extra picky too early on, without earning the respect, because this is a new life i am starting and i just want to start on the right foot. perhaps not getting what i want is the reality hit i need. having said all that perhaps the long route i take will help me focus on being a better soldier first. perhaps i am just frustrated that a poorly calculated, yet well intended, decision in my youth caught up with me. what mos do you think could compliment my aspirations to join intelligence?

posted Hide Post
If I were in your position and did not receive the MOS I desire, I would enlist for a MOS that had the Loan Repayment Option. This will eliminate the student loan debt from your clearance equation. It is always possible to choose another/different job in the future. I began my military career as an 11B before reclassing to my current MOS. Once you are eligible you can do the same. Know that there is some risk involved in this. The Army is a dynamic institution that is always evolving so timing will be a factor in the options available to you.