Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youthful offender
 Login/Join

posted
I was adjudicated a youthful offender when I was 17 for a firearm and served two years in prison I'm 20 now and my record is sealed.

I want to join the the army, marines, or navy.
Is it possible?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 May 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sergeant Medic
posted Hide Post
Nope. You can't join the U.S. military. You served time in prison beyond the age of 18 which means you committed a federal offense. Just because your record is sealed doesn't mean you don't have to answer questions "YES" when asked about the offense for military entrance, security clearance, or civilian jobs.

Posts: 131 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 25 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When applying for the Military, curing the criminal record search it will show that a charge had happened. Your "release of information form" that all applicants sign actually allows the Recruiter to see these "sealed" charges.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sergeant Medic
posted Hide Post
@AbTheGod: I would verify with your local court recorder that your records are "sealed". In my county, you can enter your info online. Since you committed the offense at age 17 but spent 2yrs in prison, don't count on "sealed" meaning no one can see them. You are a convicted felon and not eligible for military service....in 2014.

@Corvette1140: do recruiters really go to the courthouse and obtain an applicant's criminal history? If they are sealed, how do they have the power or authority to obtain these?

Posts: 131 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 25 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post