Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I join at 17?
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering since I will be graduating early in my junior year if I can join the army as soon as I turn 17 and go to.basic?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ten Speed
posted Hide Post
Yes, you will need both of your parents/legal guardians to sign you over though.

Posts: 33 | Registered: 01 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As a caution though ensure you have your drivers license to make sure you can do certain MOSes (like Military Police, and a few others require you have a civilian drivers license).

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Okay, thank you!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
As a caution though ensure you have your drivers license to make sure you can do certain MOSes (like Military Police, and a few others require you have a civilian drivers license).

He cannot become an MP at 17.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
Also, you cannot deploy overseas until you turn 18.

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
well honestly you can not be awarded an MOS until you are 18.

before people get on their podium...

at 17 you can enlist, but you have to be 18 by the time you complete AIT. its in black and white. can it be waived??? im sure there are some extreme exceptions..

as for deploying... is kind stupid to even mention this at this time. he first needs to complete Basic, then AIT. Noone can deploy in the US Military without being MOSQ. There is no exception, no waivers, no nothing. if a Soldier is not MOSQ, he is not on the MTOE for deployment.

so you guys are all right, and wrong.
he can enlist, he can go through MP school, at the age of 17.. but he needs to turn 18 before completing MOSQ school then he can deploy.

also, as for the drivers lisc.
you can be issued a Military Drivers Lisc with out a state drivers lisc. Also, you can drive on ANY military post without a valid gov lisc. as long as the vehicle is a military vehicle, and it stays on post. the approval authority is normally the CO, but can go up depending on SOP's.

Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I dunno,call me crazy or call me a liar but I enlisted at 17 with another guy. He graduated Infantry Basic training at 17.

Additionally when I arrived to my unit, there was a Soldier there who deployed when he was 17 and turned 18 a month later.

While he was 17 our CO and 1SG didn't let him go outside the wire.

I have never researched any reg, and don't care to, just my 2 pennies.

Posts: 468 | Registered: 08 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of MattU
posted Hide Post
There was a guy in my unit who was 17 AND MOSQed. Fortunately he turned 18 just prior to our deployment.

Matt

CH-47D/F Mechanic
Technical Inspector

AR 670-1/Regulation Mafia

Posts: 394 | Location: Camp Humphreys, ROK | Registered: 25 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of mulkeyowns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hellz:

also, as for the drivers lisc.
you can be issued a Military Drivers Lisc with out a state drivers lisc. Also, you can drive on ANY military post without a valid gov lisc. as long as the vehicle is a military vehicle, and it stays on post. the approval authority is normally the CO, but can go up depending on SOP's.

However, you still need a civilian driver's license for certain MOS's. EOD, for example, requires you have a civ driver's license.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Drum | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Hellz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mulkeyowns:
However, you still need a civilian driver's license for certain MOS's. EOD, for example, requires you have a civ driver's license.

this is being a little too general here.. but ill bite..

What are you doing in these MOS's that require a Civilian Lic?

If you are saying they need it as a form of ID.. This can be anything then. Passport, Gov ID...

If you are saying they need it to drive a vehicle.. this goes back to my post.. is it a civilian vehicle, or a military vehicle.
Is this on post, or off post?

and besides, if we want to get into specialized and what not.. almost everythign can be waived.. and not having a drivers Lic is not a big issue at all. you can still be MOSQ-ed.. you will be just a window licker when going off post, or in other vehicles.

Posts: 185 | Registered: 13 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We are talking about without waivers.

When I was a Recruiter some of the MOSes required a civilian drivers license as a prequal.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post