ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  General Enlistment Discussion    Help with the Warrant Officer Flight Training program
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with the Warrant Officer Flight Training program
 Login/Join

posted
I am a current senior in college who is nearing graduation. I am strongly set on applying for the Army WOFT program. I spoke with a recruiter recently (2/24), about the program and what I would need to do to put forth an application. I know I need to assemble a packet with both AFAST and ASVAB scores. I took a practice ASVAB and scored an 80 with no preparation for it. I will begin to study for the AFAST but have not scheduled a date for it yet. What would I need to do to be considered for this program? I have a solid college GPA and have participated in many extra-curricular activities in college as well as high school. What would help me become a solid candidate for acceptance? I appreciate any input about this quest to contribute to my nation. Thank you very much.

Posts: 2 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Very good letters of recommendation, letters from aviation warrant officers carry lot more weight, flight physical, tons of flight hours, pilot license....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Requirements http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/...prerequ/WO153A.shtml

Competition is very high to get into the WO Flight program. If you have the stuff TransAm95NCO listed it will help greatly. Do you know any Warrant Officer Aviators? (retired or still serving).

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Autobahn, I do not know any Army WO aviators, but I know individuals who have served in the Air force, one of them was a chief master sergeant for many years.

Posts: 2 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FTR_Tweak
posted Hide Post
I just put a guy in for WOFT and he was accepted and shipped off this month. The packet is close to being the same as a OCS packet, difference is the AFAST and Flight Physical.

If you do not have flight time already you will find it hard to get accepted into this program. Since you are not in the military and have no contacts that are Aviation Warrant Officers, you can use professors, congressmen, CEOs, flight instructor...ect.

To give you a little idea of the competition, my guy barely made it in and had a 114 AFAST score, 270 Army Physical Fitness score, AA and BA, and about 77hrs of flight time.

GPA does count when it comes down to it, so if your GPA is slacking, good luck. Degrees are not a must, but when you are going against people that have at least 4 years of college down and are working on their masters...you get the picture.

Make sure that your "Why I want to be an Army Aviator" essay is mostly about what you can bring to the Army and less of what you want from the Army, if you have family that has served, use them in it. Eagle Scout is an awesome thing to use if you have it.

Good luck.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way

Posts: 85 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTR_Tweak:
my guy barely made it in and had a 114 AFAST score, 270 Army Physical Fitness score, AA and BA, and about 77hrs of flight time.

How do you know how he was ranked?? (just curious)

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FTR_Tweak
posted Hide Post
They sent out a list of averages for people that were selected.

Averages:
Degree
PT Score
GPA
AFAST score

Posts: 85 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: 31 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
114 AFAST is not that impresive, it barely made him stand out...i had a guy that took it and got like in the 130 or 140s...had flight hours, pilots license, letter from a flight warrant....then dropped off the face of the earth lol....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does that go to only recruiters, applicants, or is available somewhere publicly?

I ask because lots here (and on AKO) have talked scores and I'm sure applicants would be interested to see it.

Picture of FTR_Tweak
posted Hide Post
It was just something that was sent down to me from the BN civilian 'in charge' of OCS/WOFT packets and I only received it due to my applicant being on the accepted list, I haven't seen it anywhere else and this is the first time I have put a WOFT in. I have put in 3 OCS and never received it before, so no clue.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:

Does that go to only recruiters, applicants, or is available somewhere publicly?

I ask because lots here (and on AKO) have talked scores and I'm sure applicants would be interested to see it.

Brother, I do not know if you recall but remember at WOCS, the high school to flight school sure was a minority and the ones always in charge when they were the senior class and trying to "educate" us seasoned vets lol. Many that were selected to WOFT were NCOs with at least 6 years in. I guess some quota is required for that category.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've been considering this program for some time now currently finishing up my commercial, instrument and AS in aviation tech, and was wondering how applicants for this program with prior naval service are looked at?? I know sometimes that actually counts against you!!! The air force and coast guard actually disqual you from ocs with more than 6 yrs from another branch!!! They want to get at least 20 out of you!!! At least that's how it used to be and I'm at 9 1/2... And I'm 30 as well so unless there is a program change I have 3yrs left without a waiver!!! Thanks for any input!!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post