Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stationed in Korea
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about enlisting in the Army. I am a Korean-American and I want a change in my life at age 30. I am reluctant to join because to be honest I do not want to be sent to Iraq. I rather be stationed in Korea.

Several of my friends have told me that I can request Korea on my contract. But after researching I found this site.. http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter4_4.htm

If I enlist for two years.. can I get a written guarantee that I will be stationed there for the duration of my enlistment?

Posts: 25 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Even if you did in every contract there is a "needs of the government" clause that lets them do what they will if needed. If you do get Korea as your first assignment you'll have no problem extending there. Get it on your contract though because there are so many people trying to dodge Iraq that Korea has a waiting list for some MOSs. :shock:

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i agree...if the recruiter can't get it in your contract don't sign it. He might tell you everything is legitimate and you'll have what you want. But be sure you see it in writing before you sign and raise your right hand at MEPS.

Posts: 28 | Location: korea uncsb-jsa | Registered: 05 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The only issue I know of is if you enlist for 2 years if you qualify to request a 1st duty station. Most people here do extend at least once if they enjoy it in the least bit, so good luck.

Posts: 234 | Location: Somewhere out there | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree that you want to be sure that you are guaranteed Korea in your contract but first, what MOS are you looking into? Do you speak Korean? I am stationed in Yongsan with a guy who is Korean-American who was guaranteed Korea in his contract through a program called Stripes for Skills. After Basic Training and AIT he came here and was recently promoted to SGT (without a board!). I don't think, however, that his contract is limited to two years because he is MI, but that's something worth looking into, if you're interested. Hope this helps.

Posts: 2 | Location: ROK | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
ara04..
well I am interested in two as my MOS.. either 74B (now 25B) or to be a linguist (korean) I can read and write korean and can get by in conversation, but I am not 100% fluent. I think it's a self confidence thing speaking to older adults and people you do not know, since there is a different way to speak.

Posts: 25 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you already know Korean, the easiest way to go to Korea would be to sign up as 98GKP (that's Korean Linguist) and take the DLPT to show that you're qualified. The only skills you need to qualify is reading and listening comprehension. Once you graduate from AIT, you'd be almost garunteed to go to Korea because from what I hear they're hurting for people right now.

Posts: 325 | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of A HUMINT/DLI GUY
posted Hide Post
[quote:260adf310f="Sifodyas"]ara04..
well I am interested in two as my MOS.. either 74B (now 25B) or to be a linguist (korean) I can read and write korean and can get by in conversation, but I am not 100% fluent. I think it's a self confidence thing speaking to older adults and people you do not know, since there is a different way to speak.[/quote:260adf310f]

he's right about the 98g mos. as a matter of fact; i'm currently in the process of reclassing to 97e (also a korean linguist mos) since the army is retiring my current MOS: 74C. i was gonna do 98g but here's the difference: 98g cryptographic linguist (sit and listen to radios--take this if you are not a people person) or 97e human intelligence collector (go out and talk to people--choose this if you like being on the scene). i am doing the BEAR program to reclass to a 97E (the bonus is a 5A = a little over $40K). if you have any ?'s about switch to a linguist and calculating the bonuses for it you can PM me if you like (i have obtain a mass amount of info on this topic). hopefully the AIT starts during my tour here in korea so that i can leave my current MOS to start something much better

Posts: 219 | Location: Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post