Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reno 13B
 Login/Join

posted
I went in to meps with 91bravo scored high on asvab took 15J, two weeks later called into meps and their "special investigator" tells me I won't get security clearance pretty much laughs in my face and tells me I can be a cook (I don't think so). So a new recruiter who was my recruiters boss (not impressed with either one) takes me up to meps they blow smoke up my ass (i.e. you'll rank up faster, you can change jobs later, they'll be less jobs after oct. 1). Find out last night my girlfriends family friend does the adjudicating for OPM and that it wasn't this asshole's place to decide whether or not my NACLAC/sf-86 goes through. Also learned from veterans from the army that basically right now before you go in is when you have the most bargaining power and you don't sign a "real" contract until the day you ship out and its really just a reservation...getting back to the main point, all they had available was some combat job/ glorified inventory jobs when I went up and idk if I was drinking the kool-aid or what but I figure I have 3 months from my ship date to reno and then i have like another 9 months after that and based off what my girlfriends family friend tells me I'm going to pursue a job with a security clearance.

Now that you have my life story my question is I knew it would be spinning the wheel of fortune when I got up there but what bothers me is my recruiting station says they couldn't pull me any jobs because meps has my information and to me that comes across to me as a load of cow manure. So someone please enlighten me as to the validity of this claim.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 28 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Infantry4life
posted Hide Post
Actually the so called "special investigator" that you talked to is probably the security interviewer that will either endorse or deny the security clearance. They aren't technically the ones that will grant a security clearance but based off their regulations they can and will deny the security clearance and the guidance counsellors can't get around that. So if he/she says you can't get one then have fun trying to get a security clearance.

And you are right, the swear in when you first join is not as official as when you swear in before you ship off.

I love the "girlfriends family friend" line. Everyone seems to know someone who works somewhere that does this or that. Last I checked they weren't the ones that enlisted people into the Army, it was USAREC and MEPCOM that was in charge of that.

And as far your station not being able to pull you a job, that is true. If I'm reading this all right is you already went to MEPS, took 15J, and now they are trying to do the whole RENO portion. If that is the case, the only people that can pull you another job is MEPS or the Recruiting Operations Center (ROC).

And a little advice, the only people who know current recruiting and MEPS practices are current recruiters and people that work at MEPS. Those who may have been recruiters even 3 years ago are out of the loop as to what is going on in recruiting now. It changes almost everyday, there are new regulations that get sent out everyday. Not to mention, almost every station and MEPS does things a little differently that the other.

Trust me, I'm a Recruiter!

Posts: 169 | Location: USAREC Dearborn | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Infantry4life:
Actually the so called "special investigator" that you talked to is probably the security interviewer that will either endorse or deny the security clearance. They aren't technically the ones that will grant a security clearance but based off their regulations they can and will deny the security clearance and the guidance counsellors can't get around that. So if he/she says you can't get one then have fun trying to get a security clearance.

And you are right, the swear in when you first join is not as official as when you swear in before you ship off.

I love the "girlfriends family friend" line. Everyone seems to know someone who works somewhere that does this or that. Last I checked they weren't the ones that enlisted people into the Army, it was USAREC and MEPCOM that was in charge of that.

And as far your station not being able to pull you a job, that is true. If I'm reading this all right is you already went to MEPS, took 15J, and now they are trying to do the whole RENO portion. If that is the case, the only people that can pull you another job is MEPS or the Recruiting Operations Center (ROC).

And a little advice, the only people who know current recruiting and MEPS practices are current recruiters and people that work at MEPS. Those who may have been recruiters even 3 years ago are out of the loop as to what is going on in recruiting now. It changes almost everyday, there are new regulations that get sent out everyday. Not to mention, almost every station and MEPS does things a little differently that the other.

+1

posted Hide Post
Well talked to the commander again today he said I could had for options one of them being a reno,discharge, stay with job, or discharge, I chose reno and he said I can go up there as many times with other people as along as a take a mechanic job if its there. hooray.