ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Army Reserves    I want to join but have questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to join but have questions
 Login/Join

posted
Ok so i am interested in joining the reserves but i have a few questions and am looking for answers so here i go.
1. I have a GED and atleast 15 college credits but the college i recieved these credits from is a Community College or tech school will this count in getting me in the Reserve?

2. Do you still get a sign on bonus if you have only 15 college credits?

Any help would really be appreciated. I was never really interested in joining up until recently when i had spoke with 3 other people who are Reserve and Guards and i am very interested now and believe it would be a good choice in life. Thank You for your time.

Posts: 22 | Location: Sioux City, IA | Registered: 13 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 91B All-Wheeled
posted Hide Post
The best bet I can give is to go talk with a recruiter about any enlistment bonuses.

You better do it quickly, because soon they will start to downsize the military. Jump on the band wagon. But, seriously your best bet is to talk to a recruiter, they will have all the answers you need.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight that matters
Its the size of the fight in the dog that counts.

Posts: 53 | Location: Ft. Hood, TX as of 20101201 | Registered: 06 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
Having 15 college credits or less, or even more, will not stop you from joining the military. It might help you come in as a higher rank, but it will not affect you signing the contract in and of itself.

For your bonus, it all depends on your MOS. Talk to a recruiter about that to get more specifics.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Schwartz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sysalis:
Having 15 college credits or less, or even more, will not stop you from joining the military. .

Yes, it will. The Army is not currently accepting GED applicants. Therefore, jiverson must have the college credits.

To answer the question about bonuses, this is the start of the Recruiting year, so go talk to a Recruiter, and see what you can get. Now is the best time because a lot more jobs opened up and there are some bonueses.

If NCO's did their job, I wouldn't have mine.

Posts: 232 | Location: FT Leavenworth | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
Okay so I was wrong... That college credit thing is new info to me.

Ah well. You learn new things every day.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok well thanks for the reply's and i want to say that i am not in it for the money but i must say the sign on bonus will help out. Im just ready to join and learn more responsibility and have more structure in my life. The only problem is i screwed up a little when i was a teen. But im trying to make things right for my self and this is somthing i really really want to do. I will have my fines paid off to the state by November 30th and which was holding me back from joining but that will be taken care of soon. So the other thing i need an answer for is my credit is not very good is that going to keep me from joining too??? I really dont want to let my self down as this is somthing i want to do. Thanks for the reply's and more are welcome.

Posts: 22 | Location: Sioux City, IA | Registered: 13 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If your job requires a security clearance, your credit may be a problem.

When you talk to your recruiter, be honest, don't hide anything.

Keep us posted!

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Oh ok one more thing so if i have the 15 college credits from a community college instead of a university that still will count right? Sorry for all the questions i just really want to do this!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jiverson1:
Oh ok one more thing so if i have the 15 college credits from a community college instead of a university that still will count right? Sorry for all the questions i just really want to do this!!!

No worries!

Those credits should be fine.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok thank you so much for all your help. This is really important to me and your answers have been great thank you.

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
I had really bad credit when I joined, and I still do. And I was still able to get my secret security clearance.

I've been repairing my credit, slowly, but enough to not have my clearance pulled. Keep up on that as well, if you have debt that is.

-Murphy's Law of Combat

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jiverson1:
Ok so i am interested in joining the reserves but i have a few questions and am looking for answers so here i go.
1. I have a GED and atleast 15 college credits but the college i recieved these credits from is a Community College or tech school will this count in getting me in the Reserve?

2. Do you still get a sign on bonus if you have only 15 college credits?

Any help would really be appreciated. I was never really interested in joining up until recently when i had spoke with 3 other people who are Reserve and Guards and i am very interested now and believe it would be a good choice in life. Thank You for your time.

If you have 15 credits that are 100 level or above then youare considered a HS grad, the GED doesnt matter...so yes you can join active or reserves...the bonuses on the reserves depends on the unit you go into...for instance lets say a unit really needs cooks, well youll more than likely get a big bonus there or at least a small one to go into that slot to fill it up...but you could pick the same job on the same day, everything but go to a unit that is not hurting for cooks and get nothing but education benefits, etc and no bonus...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
what trouble did you get into as a teen?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nothing serious im not a felon. Just simple misdameaners and one serious misdemeaner which was an owi otherwise most of them were just minor in possesion of alchohol. Yeah i kinda like to party when i was younger but nothing bad. Thats why i have fines but those will be paid up by Nov.30th and I just got my transcripts and i have 40 college credits so i should be good there. Im really excited about this guys. Thanks so much for the helpful answers!

posted Hide Post
oh yeah that Operating a vehicle While Impaired WILL be a pain in your ass to join. Combined with the previous PATTERN of alcohol abuse, I'd say there is a 60 percent chance of you not even getting in. You prolly won't qualify for a security clearance required job due to this. With the Army being a federal entity we don't abide by state procedures of DWI, DWAI, DUI, or OWI. What it means is you were drunk behind the wheel. Which is serious criminal misconduct, so yeah it kinda is a bigger deal than you think.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post