ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Joining the Army Reserves    Want Intel MOS with Language
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want Intel MOS with Language
 Login/Join

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
NLT 30 Sep 11 the acronym PSYOP will be removed and the acronym MISO will be used

So if your thinking about going psyop because the name sounds cool your SOL.

//has nothing else to add to the thread

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
haha. Started up my blog, going to take some serious work, but you guys are more than welcome to see what I've done thus far:

http://anarmylinguist.blogspot.com

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35M4LN7PF:
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
You forgot to mention Army Attache.
Yes, but attaches can have the language requirement waived.

Really, where can I get ahold of this info since I only scored an 83 on the DLAB (and do not speak other languages), but meet all the other prequlas.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
That was just what I saw on the prereq page on about.co

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What I have seen on that site is almost always consistently 5 year old info.

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
Per AR 611-60:

b. It is recommended that the candidate possess some proficiency in the language of the country for which he/she is
applying or being nominated as measured by the DLPT. Applicants should have a score of at least 100 on the DLAB.
A score of less than 100 on the DLAB is not a disqualifying factor for attaché duty but does limit assignment
possibilities.

posted Hide Post
So, frozen cold chance in hell of getting picked up if you don't have a language is the way I read that.

posted Hide Post
Corvette, if you are still looking for info on becoming an Attache NCO, you can find the prereqs and application process at dia.mil . I looked into this before and email, the NCO incharge of the selection process was very helpful. Last time I checked, they had examples of everything you were required to do. If not I can email everything to you I still have it saved.

Posts: 494 | Registered: 24 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks, I called it quits once I didn't do so well both times on the DLAB. I view it as going through a lot of headache to be shot down in the long run.

posted Hide Post
I am currently looking at a 35P or 35M position for the Wisconsin NG and am wondering if you would be able to answer a couple of my questions. Basically my goal would be to learn Farsi at the DLI and then return from training to hopefully obtain some kind of Farsi interpreting or translating job, while doing the active reserve. I currently work as a Spanish Medical Interpreter and have been doing so for over a year.

In your expierence, how likely do you think it is that I would be able to obtain a legitimate(i.e. well paying) job that would involve Farsi shortling after graduating from the DLI? My ultimate goal is to work for the State Department first and then any of the federal agencies, FBI, NSA, DIA, CIA, etc, but in the meantime do you think it would be probable that I could find a position elsewhere while I am trying to get through the entrance procedures for the federal agencies (I am more that willing to relocate)?

My second question is the following: Upon graduating from the DLI what would you think my language proficiency would be? Would the DLI be enough to get me to a 3/3/3, which seems to be required by most contracting jobs involving Farsi? I learned Spanish as a second language, to about a 4/4/4 level I would estimate..so I would hope my previous expierence in language aquisition could help.

Well thank you in advance for you time!

quote:
Originally posted by 35M4LN7PF:
Corvette 2/2/2 is reading/listening/speaking. It's not that great to be truthful.

3/3 is about the equivalent of a high school graduate. A 5 is the equivalent of a native speaker but the DLPT doesn't test above a 3 unless specifically requested.

Here is a better breakdown:

quote:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/education/dlpt.asp

LVL 2:

Limited working proficiency

Reading: Sufficient comprehension to read simple, authentic written material in a form equivalent to usual printing or typescript on subjects within a familiar context. Able to read with some misunderstandings straightforward, familiar, factual material, but in general insufficiently experienced with the language to draw inferences directly from the linguistic aspects of the text. Can locate and understand the main ideas and details in material written for the general reader. However, persons who have professional knowledge of a subject may be able to summarize or perform sorting and locating tasks with written texts that are well beyond their general proficiency level. The individual can read uncomplicated, but authentic prose on familiar subjects that are normally presented in a predictable sequence which aids the reader in understanding. Texts may include descriptions and narrations in contexts such as news items describing frequently occurring events, simple biographical information, social notices, formulaic business letters, and simple technical material written for the general reader. Generally the prose that can be read by the individual is predominantly in straightforward/high-frequency sentence patterns. The individual does not have a broad active vocabulary (that is, which he/she recognizes immediately on sight), but is able to use contextual and real-world cues to understand the text. Characteristically, however, the individual is quite slow in performing such a process. Is typically able to answer factual questions about authentic texts of the types described above.

Listening: Sufficient comprehension to understand conversations on routine social demands and limited job requirements. Able to understand face-to-face speech in a standard dialect, delivered at a normal rate with some repetition and rewording, by a native speaker not used to dealing with foreigners, about everyday topics, common personal and family news, well-known current events and routine office matters through descriptions and narration about current, past and future events; can follow essential points of discussion or speech at an elementary level on topics in his/her special professional field. Only understands occasional words and phrases of statements made in unfavorable conditions, for example through loudspeakers outdoors. Understands factual content. Native language causes less interference in listening comprehension. Able to understand facts; i.e., the lines but not between or beyond the lines.

That being said, often times scores can be misleading. I graduated DLI as a 3/3/1+ (2 and 2+ speaking scores are VERY rare in Persian Farsi). I have acted as an interpreter on many occasions in Dari in Afghanistan and in Persian during exercises as recently as February.

However, since the newest version of the DLPT has come out, I am only a 2/2 (the last number, the oral proficiency, is only given in special circumstances to include initial graduation from DLI). So my language skills are far superior to what my test scores indicate.

Unfortunately the score chart still hasn't changed, just the test. So a 2/2 is still pretty mediocre.

Native speakers should have no difficultly scoring 3-5 on DLPT tests (provided the test is testing in their applicable dialect, if they have one) so 2/2 is not so hot. It's barely passing.

Posts: 1 | Location: wassy_15@hotmail.com | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am currently looking at a 35P or 35M position for the Wisconsin NG and am wondering if you would be able to answer a couple of my questions. Basically my goal would be to learn Farsi at the DLI and then return from training to hopefully obtain some kind of Farsi interpreting or translating job, while doing the active reserve. I currently work as a Spanish Medical Interpreter and have been doing so for over a year.

In your expierence, how likely do you think it is that I would be able to obtain a legitimate(i.e. well paying) job that would involve Farsi shortling after graduating from the DLI? My ultimate goal is to work for the State Department first and then any of the federal agencies, FBI, NSA, DIA, CIA, etc, but in the meantime do you think it would be probable that I could find a position elsewhere while I am trying to get through the entrance procedures for the federal agencies (I am more that willing to relocate)?

My second question is the following: Upon graduating from the DLI what would you think my language proficiency would be? Would the DLI be enough to get me to a 3/3/3, which seems to be required by most contracting jobs involving Farsi? I learned Spanish as a second language, to about a 4/4/4 level I would estimate..so I would hope my previous expierence in language aquisition could help.

Well thank you in advance for you time!

Usually the main jobs you will find will be working for the government or agencies from what I've seen. But ultimately, tied in with you second question, pretty much you have a slim to none chance of getting a 3/3/3. I have friends that are multiple middle eastern languages and still score far below a 3/3/3. Even if you did, you still wouldn't be a native speaker, which mean a lot. I certainly don't want to crush your dreams or anything, but it's just simply not realistic. A native linguist knows so much more about the language than you ever will, even if you manage to learn enough vocabulary to to score a 3/3. Simply the culture and growing up around it is going to make you that actual linguist able to readily translate documents and whatnot. There are simply too many words you can't look up in a dictionary - you just have to KNOW them.

I also highly suggest taking the DLPT and see where you stand with Spanish. I'm going to bet you are far below what you think you are, as are most people. We have two native Spanish speakers who are 30+ years old and have been speaking Spanish their ENTIRE lives who scored a 2/2 and 2+/2+ on the exam. It's just not as easy as you think it is.

The good news is, that most agencies and whatnot have very little Farsi linguists. So you will be able to find a good job - however, not as someone hired on as a native speaker. And if you look at most of those websites they pretty much insinuate or come right out and say you will need to be a native speaker.

I have been a linguist for 7 years almost. I've had 52 weeks of Farsi school, 15 weeks of refresher courses, I've been through every Farsi Rosetta Stone, and I've studied literally hundreds and hundreds of hours on my own, and no way am I a native linguist or even close to being a "4/4/4".

You might think that I am just trying to rain on your parade, but I promise that is NOT the case. What I DON'T want to happen is for you to join the Army for all the wrong reasons thinking you will be something you are not, and then being miserable at your job...and furthermore, I don't want the Army to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars for the same reason.

I definitely wish you luck in whatever you do.