ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Drill Sergeant Discussion    AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings everyone, I've been DA Selected to go be a AIT Platoon Sergeant at Ft. Bliss, I know this is a new thing, and i've been asking around and I can't seem to get any good answers. Can anyone tell me please, I know HRC did a DS background check on me and I passed. Do I have to go to DS school for this? Is there an extra pay for doing this duty? Any kind of answer would be a lot of help so atleast I now what to expect. Thanks in advance.

SSG B

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of k9nermp
posted Hide Post
SSG B, from what I have been about the Platoon Sergeant for AIT, there is no extra pay like the Drill Sergeant Duty. Similar in job yes in a way, AIT however unless it is OSUT (sp) is not very strict, your there to mentor and mold from what I have been told. Now the Platoon Sergeant in AIT thing is new so I could be getting my info from leaders that do not know for sure. I was DA selected for Drill Sergeant Duty... Frowner it's ok though not like I had a life anyway Smiler

The average Shepard can run 35mph, can you??

Posts: 231 | Location: Ft Jackson | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dreamstalker
posted Hide Post
The way it is working here at Ft Gordon is the Platoon SGTs have in essence taken the place of the senior drill sergeants. AIT instructors now are squad leaders which are like drill sergeants. They are the ones that wake them up in the morning and do PT with them. You do not go to drill sergeant school and you do not get special duty pay for either position either. This was a way for the Army to save money, (have NCOs doing the same job without sending them to school for it or paying them special duty pay). The platoon sergeants here put in long hours though.

Posts: 330 | Location: Ft Campbell  | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The idea behind the implementation of the AIT Platoon Sergeant as opposed to the Drill Sergeant is to provide Soldiers with the ability to follow orders given by an NCO wearing a beret just as they would if the orders were given by a Drill Sergeant. That’s how it was explained to me by an upper echelon TRADOC CSM. Take it as you will.

I believe it is because AIT Drill Sergeant duty was much easier than BCT or OSUT duty because of the difference in work hours and the fact that the Soldiers have been trained in basic Soldiering tasks and values. Certain members of TRADOC noticed this and removed all of the AIT DS’s from the equation. Thereby saving the Army a lot of money on incentive pay, and a lot of time/money training DS’s to do a job that a high speed SFC can do. You will not have to attend Drill Sergeant School. It will be a challenging and rewarding job as you will be given a chance to mold the future leaders of our great Army on a grand scale.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 28 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
does anyone know the rank structure of these AIT platoons, as in are SGT's squad leaders and SSG's sections sergeants?

Posts: 75 | Registered: 13 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone for their response, it kinda gave me some idea of what to expect. Here is the thing, like kyl3's question..what is the rank structure of the AIT platoons? I can't be a squad leader because these are instructor positions too. I am a logistician not an air defense artillery soldier. On the aspects of leadership and basic soldier skill mentoring the MOS should not matter but if squad leaders are also instructors what slot am I going to hold? I'm kinda excited but at the same time weary because I am a transporter and i'm stepping into the Air Defense Artillery world.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 01 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The rank structure is quite simple. If you have been selected to be an AIT PSG then you will simply do that job. THe instructors on the "Platform" are the ones that are your squad leaders. They can be either SGT/E-5 or SSG/E-6. Just remember that you are the one that was selected to be the PSG. You will work your a$$ of if you don't have good battle buddies. Take it from I just came off the trail of a grueling 3 years!!! Hope this helps.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SFC Rob pretty much nailed it.

I've been serving as an AIT platoon sergeant for nearly nine months now. DA Selected.

Typically your instructors will serve as your squad leaders and you of course are the platoon sergeant. You'll have your 1SG as well.
I have noticed that each command manages the scenario a bit differently depending on location etc. There is also an AIT Platoon Sergeant course that you should attend. I attended at Fort Jackson, but from what I understand the course is also now offered at Fort Lee and Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

The Army's official reason for removing Drill Sergeants from the AIT environment was in an attempt to replicate the operational Army. Sounds great on a Powerpoint slide, but I truely believe they also saw the benefit in not training Drill Sergeants and paying them Special Duty Assignment pay.

At my duty location we as Platoon Sergeants are expected for the most part to perform all the same duties and functions that the Drill Sergeants performed (with extra pay). As we all know Platoon Sergeants do not receive SDAP. I've had CSM's tell me that I shouldn't expect any SDAP because my job here in the IET environment is no different than serving as a Platoon Sergeant in the Operational Army. That's complete and total bullshit (but typical in today's Army). I've served several years as a Platoon Sergeant in the operational Army and I don't recall working 14 hour days typically 6, sometimes 7 days a week out in the Operational Army as a Platoon Sergeant. Before anyone says it, yes I could be in Iraq. You're 100% correct, I've been there a few times already and have no problem going back. Please save that lecture for someone else.

Anyway ultimately you should make your form your own impressions of the program and a lot of that will be dicatated by your command and their policies.

Good luck out there.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFC Slaughter:
I truely believe they also saw the benefit in not training Drill Sergeants and paying them Special Duty Assignment pay.

+1

Plus they have mroe bodies to send downrange- they can use less PSGs than DS, since 'the squad leaders can take up the slack.'

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jumpmaster82fxdc
posted Hide Post
SFC Rob hit everything on the nail. NO DRILL PAY, NOT BADGE, MORE HOURS( AVERAGE 14-18 HOURS A DAY 6 DAYS A WEEK) I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT PHRASE " AS A PSG IN OPERATION ARMY YOU DON'T GET EXTRA PAY" BUT AS FOR ME; AS A PSG AND MCS IN A CAV SQD AND BCT IN 82 ABN...I ALSO HAD MIDDLE MANAGEMENT, IN OTHER WORDS I HAD AT LEAST AT LEAST 7-10 SGT'S AND 4 TO 5 SSG THAT WORKED FOR ME WITH A PLATOON OF 50, HERE I HAVE THREE STAFF SGT FOR A PLATOON OF 112. HERE YOUR SQUAD LEADERS ARE SSG INSTRUCTORS THAT WORK AND ARE RATED BY THE SCHOOL HOUSE. YOUR SOLDIERS AIT STUDENTS SERVE AS STUDENT TEAM LEADERS , STUDENT CLASS LEADERS AND STUDENT PLATOON SGT'S I WOULD TAKE OPERATION ARMY AND DEPLOYMENT ANYDAY...AS MY WIFE AND KIDS SAY, AFTER BEING DEPLOYED 16 MONTHS AND THEN 90 DAYS HOME REPORTING HERE, DAD WE ALMOST LESS OF YOU HERE THEN WHEN YOU WERE GONE. TAKE WHAT YOU WILL, 19 YEARS COMPLETED......WELL SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now, does this qualify as one of those 'special duties' that you must do once in your career? Meaning, as far as having to at least do recruiter, drill sergeant or career counselor? And can you volunteer for this?
As far as I'm concerned (and if I ever do this, I could be sticking my foot preemptively in my mouth), this assignment would work for me. I don't want to do recruiter and I can't do Drill Sergeant (even though I wouldn't mind) because I have a P2 profile.

Google is your friend!

Posts: 162 | Location: Fort McPherson, GA | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
You don't have to yell, Jumpmaster82fxdc. Big Grin

For more information on particpating in the AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty Program, go to the Virtual Reenlistment Board.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE

For more information on particpating in the AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty Program, go to the Virtual Reenlistment Board.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! :-)

Google is your friend!

Posts: 162 | Location: Fort McPherson, GA | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well I have been working as an AIT Instructor with the additional duty of Squad Leader at Fort Gordon for just over a year now. Let me tell you, it is terrible. We work 14-16 hour days typically. We have memorandums from our CSM stating the different duties and responsibilities of AIT PSG's and AIT Squad leaders. They all make sense. The problem is that no one follows that direction. What is supposed to happen is that the PSG's whos only job is to handle the soldiers are supposed to be primarily responsible for the day to day duties such as running PT and counseling them for Phase-Ups. The Squad Leaders who already have an all day job teaching their respective MOS on the platform end up carrying all this on their shoulders instead of the PSG's. We typically show up earlier than they do and leave later. I am not saying that the PSG's are not doing long hours and hard work, but it is not running the way it should. TRADOC says that the squad leaders are there to assist the PSG when they need it, not to actually run a squad as they would in a normal unit. Problem is that some of our AIT "Squads" are larger than normal platoons. And some of the companies are larger in size than a BN. Having 18 NCO's to run a larger than BN size element is ridiculous. Most of us would rather be deployed again just to get out of the duty. And even though we are doing what the PSG's are supposed to be doing, they always try to make us feel like $&*t bags by telling us, "You are a NonCommissioned Officer. Suck it up." I would love to have all day to spend with the privates being able to devote all my attention to making them into better soldiers unfortunately us Instructors are not afforded that luxury, but the PSG's are and they aren't doing it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe its that way for your unit....but I disagree with the comments made from the Fort Gordon Squad Leaders... I am an AIT PSG here at Gordon and we do PULL Duties, We Are Here every Sunday, We are Here until 2000 or Later!, and rotate out for Saturdays! I know our Squad Leaders march them to dinner chow, drop them off, and then run to their cars at 1700. Most complain about pulling duties on the weekends...heck half of you arent even on the platform! So please speak on behalf of your units and NOT for the rest of Fort Gordon!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post