ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Drill Sergeant Discussion    AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIT Platoon Sergeant Duty
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I have read the comments posted. I do agree that this isn't what we thought we were getting into. I am a Squad Leader at Fort Lee, Virginia. Like previously mentioned the duty changes with the Command. Long Hours are a given, and very little guidance. I too have heard the words" Your an NCO, suck it up. We are all soldiers. I agree the Army did this to save money while they spend uncontrolably for other things. The squad Leader replaced the Drill Sergeant, I don't know as of yet why we have Plattoon Sergeants. We beat them to work and leave with them. We all do pull duty be it CQ or Duty NCO for the day. this does not in any way resemble the operational Army because we shield the IET soldier and do everything for them then when they should be released they are kept and recycled. Nothing has changed since the Drill Sergeants have left in regards to how the soldiers react. We use a Drill Sergeant mentality when dealing with the soldiers, its the only way we can get the respect and motivation to get the response we need to complete the misions. We need to get back to Drill Sergeants and let AIT go back to the way it was.

Posts: 1 | Location: fort lee, va | Registered: 30 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
There's ALWAYS going to be a Platoon SGT vs Squad Leader debate going on.

The biggest issue I have with the whole system is that 99% of the PSGs have NOT taught. On the other hand, the SL's HAVE done the duties the PSGs are resposible for.
---This means the SL SOMEWHAT understands what the PSGs do, but the PSG doesn't understand what it's like to wake up and be to formation at 0445, do PT 0530-0630, then TEACH from 0830 until 1600ish, with an hour for lunch. THEN do the silly Company crap.

Any amount of Quality teaching really drains the brain. The lesson plans are all garbage, to meet the Army "standards"- so to involve the students and actually help motivate and teach them, you have to be really engaged.

WHEN and IF I'm able to slip over to the Company during lunch to take care of squad stuff, there's ALWAYS 2+ PSGs smoking and joking. (And we only have 5-6 in our Company!!!)

-Yes it's draining to be trying to make sure the Soldiers are all where they're supposed to be, handling discipline, get the barracks and area somewhat clean, but I don't think it' as rough as spending all day with the Soldiers, and in my Case, this Sunday with them too.

(Our PSGs are guaranteed at least 2 weekends off per month now, since the SLs are doing duty from Saturday 0600 to Sunday 1800. We also did ALL of Memorial day weekend. So how many days are people really working?)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
After re-visiting this topic, I think I should update the current situation. Apparently, the Army intends to make this plan work at least for the time being. In all fairness, the local Command is trying to make the best of a bad situation they were handed. The Battalion CDR and CSM, despite some severe restrictions, still manage to implement changes that make a significant impact on quality of life for everyone in the Battalion. Things are tenfold better than they were just six weeks ago. It's hard to believe it's the same place!

I think they've struck on an equitable balance of duties now and it may even improve. As of next week, the Squad Leaders will only pull company CQ and assist with PT. I can't vouch for the Platoon Sergeants because I haven't had to spend any time around the barracks in a month, but apparently they have more time to deal with the students. Something's working because when I inspected the students Tuesday, there was only one gig out of 35 Soldiers (and it was a schoolhouse SOP thing a PS wouldn't know to look for) and almost all Soldiers had a senior phase badge, which used to be rare.

I, personally, have had a lot of time to catch up on instructor issues and additional duties that got pushed to the back burner. In the last month, I've had a lot of time to work on instructor development and to iron out some nagging equipment issues that should make life better for everyone in the schoolhouse. I've seen a couple of the other instructors trying to make positive changes as well. I know for the first time in a long time, I actually look forward to going to work.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Gspell, I have alot of questions for you. I am currently deployed and have came down on assignment for Fort Gordon. I am an E5P 94L. the problem I have here is I would have to reup to take the assignment. I am not at the point in my career where if I dont reup it would be a tramatic event or anything. But I have been constantly deployed and I really need a straight up honest opinion of what life is like there. I am married with 2 children. If you would like to email me some good info it would be greatly appreciated. Please be blunt with me. After reading your posts it makes me question alot.

sdeedrick@yahoo.com

Posts: 7 | Registered: 03 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Could someone please clarify whether a person who is DA select for AIT platoon Sgt school is stationed to be a Platoon SGT at the place they attend the school or if they are placed based upon their MOS.

Posts: 2 | Location: clarksville | Registered: 09 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoneCivilian:
Could someone please clarify whether a person who is DA select for AIT platoon Sgt school is stationed to be a Platoon SGT at the place they attend the school or if they are placed based upon their MOS.

The "school" is a few week course.
All of the AIT Plt Sgts here at Ft Gordon are 25 or 94 series. I DOUBT they put 25 and 94 series Plt Sgts anywhere else.

Meaning: I think you go to where YOUR MOS is taught..

That said, we have 25Q in the company that 25P are in, also 25S or 25P are Plt Sgts for the 25Q company.

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks u for the info, follow on orders have been made available so now I know where we are going after the school. Guess AIT slots are MOS based.

Posts: 2 | Location: clarksville | Registered: 09 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Great discussion.
Let me shed some light on this duty based on my experiences. I was DA selected for this duty 2 years ago and was one of the first group of new Plt SGT's to come in and replace the Drill Sergeants. I was lucky when I got selected to have 17 years and some change time in service. My plans at that point in time were to retire at 20 years. I was not happy at all to be selected for such a demanding duty so late in my career but like a good NCO I packed up my family and PCS'ed. Ironically within my first month on duty our branch managers came down and gave us a briefing on the program. We were told that the AIT PSG duty was a mandatory 2 year duty and then we were finished. My question to them was that I would have 19 years 4 months TIS when my tour was done and what did I need to do in order to not be placed on assignment so that I could retire. I was told to ensure that I communicated my intent to retire to my branch manager before my tour of duty was up. Roger, got it.
Nearly 9 months out from coming off the trail I started emailing my branch manager to ensure that I wasn't placed on assignment. Once again the beginning of August I emailed my branch manager to ensure she was aware of my intentions. At the same time I began to process my request for retirement. Of course with anything in the Army I had to go through miles of red tape locally before it "met their standards". Much to my surprise the 1st of September I come down on assignment. WOW?!?

I immediatedly called my branch manager and of course she denied ever talking to me. All the while I'm thinking, no problem I have the email to prove that I communicated my intentions. Long story short after begging and pleading with everyone from my Branch manager team lead all the way up to my Brigade CSM I managed to get the assignment deleted.
Here's where it get's good. I will have completed my 2 years the end of Oct 09. Now after doing this job for 2 years, working 14-16 hour days 5-6 days a week. Dealing with every imaginable problem under the sun. Managing platoons of over 200 Soldiers at times.. I am being forced to sign a 4187 extending my Platoon Sergeant time all the way up until I start clearing for retirement. I kicked and screamed about this for days on end with my CSM's and was finally told that if I didn't sign the 4187 my Brigade CSM would call my branch manager and have me immediately placed on assignment and would ensure that I was not allowed to retire.

Take all this for what it's worth. Personally I am almost at a loss for words about the way in which I am being treated after I busted my butt for 2 years doing this job without ever skipping a beat. I have never in my entire career felt so screwed over by my chain of command. Never. I know most of this is my local chain of command but it just goes to show you how little our senior leadership (especially CSM's) really care about the NCO's below them.

I have never in my career tried to get out of any assignment, duty, or deployment. I've always done exactly what the Army needed me to do. Now here I am literally single digit months away from retiring and I have some dumbass CSM telling me that I need to keep doing a job that I've already fullfilled my obligation on right up basically until the day I am out of the Army. If I could go back in time I would have done anything in my power to get out of this AIT PSG duty.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, SFC!!!

I believe the quality in training here at AIT-land is about to take a serious nosedive because of the Squad Leader crap, too!!!!

My MOS is fairly small, and of the 20 or so NCOs here right now, more than half have been here 15months or less, and are already trying to leave. My ticket out is Warrant School, a couple have left for White House comms, one guy went to a unit across the street and deployed to Iraq this month, someone else scored some orders for Germany.

I mean, sure, AIT instructing used to be a sought-after cushioned job, but this crap is ridiculous. I work almost the same hours you cited. But we don't even get the credit on the NCOER that the Platoon Sgts do.

We were "supposed to" be rotated out of squad leader job after 6months and just teach for 6months, but 15months later I haven't had a break except for Holiday Block Leave and other DA31s...

-------------------------------------------------
And speaking of not caring for the NCOs' careers-
One of my first PSGs had like 20months until retirement- when he got orders for GERMANY. Either 24months unaccompanied or 3yrs if he wanted to take his family.

Someone at HRC was probably laughing their butts off, over how they got that poor guy to serve an extra 16months..

posted Hide Post
The whole program is a scam. From day one we've been expected to perform the same duties as the drill sergeants we replaced along with working ridiculous hours. Without receiving a dime of extra compensation or even appreciation for that matter. I feel your concern with the squad leader/instructor deal as I see ours getting jerked 20 different directions on a daily basis.

The Army is really getting something for nothing out of AIT PSG's and SQD LDR's. It's probably best for the program that I'm retiring because if I were to stick around I'd make it my mission to let everyone know what a circus of smoke and mirrors this whole deal really is.

Once I actually retire... if they let me, LOL. I'll be staying local and you can bet your next paycheck that I'll be giving some CSM's a good piece of my mind once I hold that blue ID card.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFC Slaughter:
The whole program is a scam. From day one we've been expected to perform the same duties as the drill sergeants we replaced along with working ridiculous hours. ...

The Army is really getting something for nothing out of AIT PSG's and SQD LDR's.

+1
I wouldn't mind as much if we at least got the "hooah hooah" credit that DS got for the job they did.

I know our AIT PSGs are getting good NCOERs out of it- as far as the E-7 board one of the CSMs said they considered the AIT PSG = DS.

It took a while here but the SQ LDRs were getting an "additional duty" on the NCOER, but now they're going to put it as "Instructor/ Writer/ AIT Squad Leader" in the NCOER job title.

It wouldn't bug me so much if they weren't still thinking this (AIT Instructor) was a super-cushy job and giving it as a "reward" for deployment.
(That DID used to be the case, prior to Dec07.)

Seriously, my wife and plenty of others have said that this is almost as bad as deployment!!!!

posted Hide Post
I volunteered for Drill Sergeant duty recently. I have been a AIT Squad Leader for 14 months. I will just say that Iraq is a break from this place. I cant wait to go to school, at least you get a certain recognition for being a Drill Sergeant, not to mention incentive pay.

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello, I've been selected to be an AIT Platoon Sergeant with school at Jackson, I would like to know if anyone knows how the school and what are the requirements to graduate i.e. Pt Test, Etc.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I too have recently been selected to attend the AIT Platoon Sergeant school at Jackson as well. Needless to say I am not thrilled about it.
I am currently deployed, and I would much rather do more deployements then be stuck there for my final 3 years of my active duty service. I feel unjustly done by being placed on assignment while deployed, especially after the "almighty" branch manager told me I would not be put on assignement until after I returned from my current deployment. Then they wont even let you manage your own career, they just push you aside and tell you to suck it up. I have a real problem with someone who is in no position to make choices about my career, especially since I am a Senior NCO. Branch managers have too much power and no sense of obligation to other fellow Senior NCOs when it comes to their career. I have a few friends who know others who have been selected for this duty, and needless to say it isn't something that I am looking forward too. I would think they would go out and recruit those who would be willing to volunteer for this duty rather than nominate those who would prefer to be out there supporting the GWOT. Don't get me wrong, I realize that the Army has needs all over the place, there just has to be a better way to get a selection process going for this duty then what they have going now. If anyone out there has any suggestions on how to get deleted from this duty, please toss them out there. I have tried pretty much everything I could think of, and nothing has worked.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 07 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As an AIT PSG for 2 years now @ Ft Sam Houston, I'd like to say how amusing it is to me how everyone has the support of the squad leader / instructors. We have the same theory here, but its not implemented at all. The Sqd Ldrs are not a part of the Bttalion per se they fall under the Dept of Combat Medical Training (DCMT) So they do't do anything with the Soldiers except teach. The also provide us with PT support and pulling duty NCO. But as far as dealing with Soldier issues... no they don't. Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking them I happen to thibk we get gr8 support from our instructors. My point is that thats is what they are Instructors not sqd leaders. So when lil Johnny acts up in school its us that have 2 drop what we're doing and go deal with the issue. We take care of the pay issues, the DX'ing of uniforms, Profile reviews, barracks maintenance, and inspections, linen turn in, PT test grading, the massive amounts of counsellings, Citizenship issues, Immunizations, serving as a taxi service to take Lil Johnny to his dental, Mental health or ortho appointment. Oh and dont forget you still have additional duties such as EO, UVA, master Driver, fire Marshall, etc. All this and more for one NCO for a platoon of upwards of 70 Soldiers. Yet some individuals think that we dont need the extra pay. Because PSG's dont get payed extra in the regular Army. I also find it offensive how some others make the Drill Sergeants out 2b some kind of mythic figure, while PSG's are somehow inferior. If I got the extra pay I guess I'd feel better. But hey we did get a snazzy new PSG leather tab to hang of of our pockets I guess t make up for not having the pumpkin patch of our Drill SGT betters. I also hear that there is a Permanent PSG badge coming out. I hope its made of solid gold then all the sacrifices and time away from my family will be worth it.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 27 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post