ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Drill Sergeant Discussion    The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting this discussion as the information I found prior to attending Drill Sergeant School was outdated, incorrect, or just flat out didn't exist. I will try to write something here daily-obviously if the course does not allow for it, I promise to at least have a post weekly. Today was the report date and here is what happened:

We formed up at the post theater at 0800 in our winter PT uniform. This was put out to us through a piece of paper at the hotel front desk. So don't go off of the welcome letter from the school's website. They did a roll call and then pitched three modules to us. After this, we loaded up on a bus and headed over to the new building which is very nice. We were taken inside for HT/WT/ Tape test. After finishing this, we went to a classroom and filled out some paperwork and were fitted for the campaign hats. The deputy Commandant spoke to us as well as a lady from lodging. After all of this was complete we marched to lunch which is in the same building. We had approximately 30-45 minutes to eat and the food is decent...plus you don't pay for it and they do not stop your BAS. After lunch we went back to the classroom for a 100% urinalysis which went faster than I thought it would. After everyone finished with that, we were broken down into squads and moved out to our classrooms. Again, more paperwork, some handouts and a powerpoint presentation on what you can expect. This is basically what I got from it:

o if you failed ht/wt/tape you are dismissed from the course
o if you fail to score at least 60 pts per event on the APFT (which is tomorrow) you are dismissed from the course
o if you fail to score at least 70 pts per event on the APFT you will attend special population PT daily
o you are off Sundays
o each time you walk past a Drill Sergeant Leader (DSL), 1SG, CSM etc. you sound off with "This we'll defend Drill Sergeant/1SG" etc
o no cussing
o there will be a break at 10 minutes til the hour-you are permitted to smoke but have to walk across the street
o smokeless tobacco is not allowed in the Drill Sergeant building
o chewing gum is not authorized while you are in uniform at all (it's actually in a policy letter)
o you are not authorized to drive your POV to the school...you have to be transported on the bus
o PT goes from 0500-0630. You have 45 minutes to shower/change. The bus leaves at 0715 sharp for the school house.
o MODULES...this is the big one. You do have to know them. Don't go looking for the module book and damn sure don't purchase one. Download FM 3-21.5 (Drill and Ceremonies) and learn all of it from that. Start out with Position of Attention, Rest Positions at the halt, and the hand salute. DO NOT GO OFF OF THE OLD MODULE BOOK! It is incorrect.

That just about sums up day one. Will try to post something tomorrow.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

This is awesome keep it going!

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good morning! I apologize for not posting on days two and three. This school is demanding! But here you go:

Day 2
The day started with the APFT at 0430. It was a little cold here (for most people it was...I have been at Fort Drum for five years...enough said.) We did the pushups/situps inside the post theater. Even though there are about 80 students, it went pretty quickly. The DSLs were a little tough on the scoring...not as bad as an NCOES school though. The run is conducted on a track right behind the theater. It is three laps plus about 150 meters. There is a slight incline on the one straight-away, but once you make the turn it goes downhill so you can make up with addtional speed there. We were told that if anyone failed to get 60 in any event that they would be dismissed from the course. Apparently it was a scare tactic as some did not and are still here. The key is to get 70 in each event...if you do not you will have to do remedial PT. What they didn't tell us is that remedial PT is done after class hours and you conduct it on your own (you have to submit a plan and have it approved). Following the PT test we had about 35 minutes to shower and change into ACUs. By the way, everyone tries to shower after PT so there is no hot water. We caught the bus back to the school house and had chow. Classes followed after that were were on Master Resilency Training. I'm sure that everyone has taken the GAT survey by now and thought that it was retarded. These classes went in more detail which were actually pretty good. You have to keep an open mind though and realize that although most of us are stuck in our old ways (if you have been in more than eight years), society has changed and now the Army is forcing us to change. Take these classes for what they are...just another tool to add to your toolbox. So overall I think everyone took something from the training. We were also given the first ten mondules for next week. Thurday we will all pitch the Position of Attention, Rest Positions at the Halt, and the Hand Salute. Friday we will pitch one of the seven By-the-Numbers modules. Basically you have to learn all 10. You won't find out which one of the By the Numbers you will do until immediately before you pitch it. DO NOT STRESS YOURSELF OUT OVER THESE. Page 2-1 in FM 3-21.5 has the explanation (formerly known as the preamble or 1st paragraph) for all D&C modules: "The next position which I will name explain......" Here is all you have to do: get a battle buddy to work on these with you. Don't try to memorize anything other than the explanation. Instead just know what the hell you are talking about. Everyone knows what each of these movements do and look like. Once you say the explanation, you just have to explain the position. Too easy. I apologize...you need to memorize any notes that are in bold as well. If you come here and have memorized the Soldier's Creed, Drill Sergeant Creed, General Orders and can correctly pitch the first three modules, you will walk through this course without even trying. Anyway, after that, we caught busses back to the hotel around 1945. The classes run late daily...thus why I didn't post on here until right now.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Day 3

They reversed the schedule on us today so we reported in at 0430 in ACUs. We went to 120th AG for hearing conservation (only some needed it done) and to get issued ear plugs. Then we went back to the classroom for more classes. They have a couple guys from the Army Center for Enhanced Performance (ACEP) come talk to us for most of the day. It had a lot to do with goal setting and thinking optimisically-focusing on the good rather than the bad when either you or one of your Soldiers fails to meet a standard. Like yesterday's classes-another thing to throw in your toolbag. The best part was a recovery drill which was basically a 12 minute power nap to teach us a way to get a quick evergy recovery. It worked out pretty good to my surprise. After that, we changed into PTs and had TA-50 issued to us. If you don't need the stuff you will just leave it in your room until it is time to turn it in. Then we had a class on how to conduct the new Army Physical Readiness Training. If you haven't started using it at your units-then start now to get familiar. Download TC (Training Circular) 3-22.20. I started using it with my platoon back in September and it really helped with the training today. We went over the proper way to conduct prepartory drills (what we all used to call stretching-by the way-these will have you pissed off that you don't get to stretch out the way we were all taught in the past) plus the pushup/situp drill and four for the core. Like I said-start looking into and implementing this now...FM 21-20 was obsolete as of August 2010. Even though I had been doing all of this for a few months now, they taught us the right way to teach the positions and the right way to execute them. Having a knowledge of all of them was definitely beneficial even though I was doing some of them wrong prior to today. That was all the training for today and we actually have a three day weekend. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I will try to put my next post after training on Tuesday. If I don't, you will hear from me next weekend on the week's events. THIS WE'LL DEFEND!!!

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG E:
SSG Chaney,

This is awesome keep it going!

+1

Thanks for taking the time, it's great reading about the course from the source. Even though I'll never be going to DS School, it's very informative to know what the Soldiers are learning.

....I need to start the 'new' PT program as well.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of fred299
posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

I went to DSS last summer and it's good to hear the changes. Some guys I work with are going real soon and I gave them the link to this so they can read up before they go. Just wondering if Your using the new barracks or still in lodging? Good Luck and Thanks

Posts: 31 | Registered: 21 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks. We are still in lodging...Magruder. The barracks isn't scheduled to open until September 2011. The cost is $34.00 per night. once you check in, you pay the bill every 30 days. The welcome packet says you have to pay in advance...not true.

Picture of GunBunny1031
posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

This is exactly what I needed, very helpful. I'm on my way out from Germany and I'm going to school in June. I'm reporting to my unit first though, which is in Ft. Sill. I've heard so much about school and actual duty, pros and cons. All of it is memory but I'm glad you're doing this so I will know firsthand since I'll be attending in a few months.

KEEP IT COMING!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of GunBunny1031
posted Hide Post
$34.00 a night???? This may sound like a dumb question but we gonna get reimbursed right? How are they handle that??

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
About 30 days prior to your report date, get with your schools NCO. If you have a Government Credit Card, you will use that. If not, your schools NCO will put your info into DTS and you will receive an advance payment. You will then receive a supplement of your travel pay every 30 days or so. You will receive enough for your entire hotel bill, plus mileage if you are driving a POV, and a supplemental amount for laundry/incidentals. Save all your receipts, you must turn them into your Schools NCO once graduating the school.

posted Hide Post
Day 4

Today consisted of PRT (instructional mostly) followed by classes all day on Drill and Ceremony. We did a short practical exercise on giving commands (voice inflection, etc).

posted Hide Post
Day 5

Today we pitched the first 3 modules. This is extremely easy. Just don't try to memorize anything word for word. Talk through instruction is just that...talk through. You just have to explain the position in a clear and consise manner. We were also informed that we will be pitching not only one of the by-the-numbers modules, but two more talk through. So this weekend (we are working on Saturday-Victory Tower) we will all be going through more modules.

Picture of SSG A.K. Edwards
posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

Is there any time in service restrictions on DS School?

Posts: 1 | Location: NAS Pensacola | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@ SSG Edwards,

What do you mean as far as service restrictions? As in another branch of service or MOS? As far as I am tracking, any active duty NCOs in the rank of SGT thru SFC that meet all the requirements for Drill Sergeant Duty (Ref. Tradoc Regulation 350-16) can attend the school. The same regulation should be able to tell you what the requirements are for Reserve Soldiers. I do not think other branches of the military may attend-they have their own programs. But the school here does allow some foreign military attend. If that does not answer your question, please let me know.

posted Hide Post
@SSG Edwards,

Sorry-just re-read your post and I feel like an idiot. Tradoc Reg 350-16 will let you know of the requirements. But I will tell you that we have candidates that have only 4 years in and are SGT non-promotables. I'm sure there is a cap as well.