ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Drill Sergeant Discussion    The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Day 6

Today was exhausting. We got done yesterday around 2000 and we had first formation at 0320. We did the PRT Preparation Drill then bussed over to the school. We then conducted a "footmarch". THis was 4 km with FLC, patrol cap, and M16. Since it was dark we walked a 3.2 km/hour pace. Pretty much slower than the speed of smell. But, this is how we will do it with the new Soldiers on the trail to start out. So be prepared to be annoyed with this. The footmarch ended at an obstacle course. We went throught the course three times. The first time our DSL explained each obstacle and the safety requirements for them. The second time we all executed each obstacle. The last time was for us to explain each obstacle. Not hard at all. By the time we were done with that, everyone was awake. We then went back to the school to pitch our Step by Step module. There were seven that we studied and we pulled a card from a deck of cards and pitched it right then. Not hard-again, my advise is to know the three methods of instruction for D&C and then you can pitch any module.....DO NOT MEMORIZE!! It was very apparent who had tried to memorize the modules verbatim and many of them got choked up on the words and steps resulting in NO-GO's. We had a class on how to conduct the APFT and a nutrition class this afternoon and were actually back to the hotel by 1900. Tomorrow we have Victory Tower (rappeling) and more classes....really sucks since it is Saturday.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Day 7

We went to Victory Tower this morning and conducted training on and negotiated the rappel wall. It was actually pretty fun. Now we are having a class on the Army Values. Simple day for us, but it is Saturday and it looks like we will be here until at least 1900 tonight.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Acton
posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney, great stuff you have going on here! I will be attending the class beginning March 24th! Gettin a little nervous!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SSG Acton,

Nothing to be nervous about. The course is set up for you to pass. If you can get down the three methods of instruction for teaching drill and ceremony, the drill sergeant creed, and do a little practice marching your joes around the class will be a breeze. The days are long because they are trying to teach us time management. If you have been in the Army for more than 5 years, most of this stuff is just a refresher for you.

posted Hide Post
I see that you keep saying if you have this down or that down,things will be fine and easy.what if you dont? Do they give you time to learn and study or will i be up all night.also, do you take your computer with you to class,is there internet? just wondering how you post at different times of the day....thanks so much for all your post,they really help out.I will be there next week!! very nervous.GL to you

Posts: 7 | Registered: 23 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
@SGTH07
If you do not prepare before coming, it will be a little more challenging. Depending on how quick you can retain information will determine how late you will be staying up. I am fairly good at learning and retaining information and I am averaging 4.5-5 hours of sleep at night during the week. There are computers for us to use in the classroom with internet access. Bring your laptop for the hotel-bring a CAT5 cable to connect to the internet in the hotel.

posted Hide Post
ok, sounds good.thanks for the info. only 5 hours of sleep huh? lol, thats not much. ill be there tomorrow so i am looking forward to it.i really hope its not like all other army schools where there is no chance to fail(if you know what i mean).Do you wear everything on your ACU's or nothing? just found out we are staying off post as there is no more room,guess that means even less sleep.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Chaney:
Thanks. We are still in lodging...Magruder. The barracks isn't scheduled to open until September 2011. The cost is $34.00 per night. once you check in, you pay the bill every 30 days. The welcome packet says you have to pay in advance...not true.

I just got here my class starts on wednesday 26 Jan I got to on post lodging and they told us that we were staying off post at the holiday inn. there is a cost differance. it is $71.00 a night if this happenss to you make sure you call back to your unit to get your orders amended. also since I am staying off post we get $15 a day for milage.

Posts: 3 | Location: FT Jackson SC | Registered: 24 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SSG I ggot a question. When it comes to the packing list. Are we going to have a full lay out? Or is it on big boy rules? I am just wanting to know so I can get somewhat unpacked

Posts: 3 | Location: FT Jackson SC | Registered: 24 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
i am in that same class. do you have your own room? did they tell you anything else like what uniform for formation?

posted Hide Post
ssg sackett,it does say in the packet that when you get your room,you can take yours bags up and unpack.now that we are staying in a hotel im wondering if we will move soon. so i may not unpack everything when i get there tomorrow.if you hear anything please post.thanks.

posted Hide Post
Big boy rules as far as the packing list. Just have good ACUs that are clean and servicable. Clean boots. No green leaders tabs on the goretex jacket. The class that started last week was off post initially, but most of them have already moved on post.

posted Hide Post
SGTH07 they havent put anything out to us yet, I do have my own room.

SSG Chaney thanks for the info and keeeping us posted on this school there are so many question from the guys that came with me that you have already answered.

posted Hide Post
ok cool, thanks. and thanks to ssg chaney! see ya all tomorrow

posted Hide Post
Thank u very much for this day by day account of whats goin on and now i can see what i have to look forward to in June. LOL i was trying to learn the modules word for word but it feels great to kno i dont have to now so once again thanks and keep it cummin. "This We'll Defend"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post