ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  NCO Business  Hop To Forums  Drill Sergeant Discussion    The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new US Army Drill Sergeant School
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Chaney:
Unfortunately, no, you do not choose where you go. That being said, Drill Sergeant Branch should come down and if there is somebody that is willing to switch with you that has the same MOS/Rank/Gender and sometimes Race, they may be able to swap you out. Good luck.

So that i understand this correctly. The DS Branch comes down and basicly chooses it for you. I'm sure there choice is also based off your MOS.....yea i know i'm going back to Ft. SillFrowner when i pass this course.

Posts: 73 | Location: Ft. Sill, OK ....B 1/78 FA | Registered: 17 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not neccessarily...I'm guessing you are a 13 series like me then. I'm a 13B and I am going to Fort Jackson. All BCT units must have combat arms Drill Sergeants. Typically, it looks like one per platoon. There were a lot of us (13B, 11B, 19D, 13F, etc) that got orders to Fort Jackson. If you just got the email saying you are attending the school, your projected assignment will show up is ASK and on your ERB pretty soon. You can also call your branch manager and he can tell you where you are going....that's how I found out.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Chaney:
Not neccessarily...I'm guessing you are a 13 series like me then. I'm a 13B and I am going to Fort Jackson. All BCT units must have combat arms Drill Sergeants. Typically, it looks like one per platoon. There were a lot of us (13B, 11B, 19D, 13F, etc) that got orders to Fort Jackson. If you just got the email saying you are attending the school, your projected assignment will show up is ASK and on your ERB pretty soon. You can also call your branch manager and he can tell you where you are going....that's how I found out.

Well like i've always said, it is, what it is! I'm a newly formed 13T (previous 13W), your MET guy. Not the most glamerious MOS in the FA series but we do our share to keep the rest within the 5 requirements of steel on target.

Just wondering about asignments because i just bought a house here at Campbell and i was hoping to keep it. Plus i have kids in school. Kinda hoping for Ft. Knox but i'll just have to play it by ear. Thanks again for the info here and see ya on the trail.

Posts: 73 | Location: Ft. Sill, OK ....B 1/78 FA | Registered: 17 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I can tell you Knox is not going to be an option much longer. The Armor School is moving down to Benning and I know plenty of 19 series from class that have orders to Benning for that very reason. Good luck...I'm putting my house at Drum on the market in a week.

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort Jackson, SC | Registered: 12 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi,

Great thread - this information is very helpful.

I'm PS Regular Army, currently working as an AGR NG Recruiter & RSP Ops SGT. Two other NG RRNCOs and I are going to DS School this summer. Quick question - I recently attended ABIC and SGI - is this something that will be helpful at DSS?

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Not really...you will have to sit through all the ABIC classes anyway.

posted Hide Post
Thank you SSG Chaney for all your in site. I will be attending DS candidate school in Sept, and had a lot of questions on how to prepare.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of BigSarge14
posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

when you took the step by step test ( the 7 modules) how did it work? did you pull one from the hat? if so was it like by the numbers?(module on card)

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You pull a card that has one of the seven modules and you pitch the module right there. With by the numbers modules, you break down the movement by each individual movement (by the numbers). For step by step, you need to remember PICAA....Prepatory Command, Intermediate Step, Command of Execution, Additional Step, and Action Step. For example, Column Left:

The prepatory command is given when the left foot strikes the marching surface (P of PICAA). You will then execute a 30 inch step with the trail (right) foot. This is the Intermediate step for the movement (I of PICAA). You will then execute a 30 inch step with the trail (left) foot and the Command of execution will be given when that foot strikes the marching surface (C of PICAA). You will then execute a 30 inch step with the trail (right) foot. This being the additional step neccessary between the Command of Execution and the Action Step (First A in PICAA). You will then step off 90 degrees in the new direction of travel (in this case left) and continue marching with 30 inch steps in the new direction. This is the action step (The second A in PICAA).

I am actually surprised I remember that....on the trail we do not pitch modules to the Soldiers....I tried it once and they looked at me like I was speaking Farsi...but it is neccessary to get through the school so good luck. I've been helping my neighbor study some since he is enrolled in the school now so a big shout out to CJ.

posted Hide Post
Hello everyone...Smiler

I am an old Army vet from the Vietnam era.
My question to anyone for suggestion is:

My daughter just recently went to DSS training at Ft. Jackson.
unfortunately she didn't qualify on the range and also I think she
was confused on zeroing the weapon....On a Friday before their final
range qualifying shoot, she qualified 23 of 40. She and a few others were told that if they didn't qualify on qualifying day shoot they would use that Friday qualifying score. They didnot and she and others were dropped.
Since she was DA selected what can she do or is there anything she can do to be reselected to go back to DSS?
I guess I am asking what does she do now?
All replies will be appreciated very much

Sig.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Going to DS School 5 Sep - I was reviewing the packing list and noticed that it was all clothing (except for knee & elbow pads) and helmet band - do we bring any TA-50? Or is it all issued at FT Jackson? Since I'm NG, DS school is not a PCS / TDY Enroute move...

Thanks,

SSG Gunn

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You're NG? What state? Are you driving to school? If you're driving, take TA-50, worst case is you have it, don't need it and it sits in your car the whole time. I took TA-50, but didn't need ALL of it, just some of it, some things I didn't need, they signed out IBA's to us, but that was the Reserve DS School and it was nearly 2 years ago, a lot has changed. The main thing then was it's the Reserves and it's well known that some reserve units get issued a lot of equipment, some barely get any, so uniformity was hard to enforce when it came to layouts and inspections. Now that DSS is all at the AD school, it's hard to say, but I'm sure they expect people to have gear because AD soldiers you go to CIF and get everything you need.

However they may have items able to sign out to you from supply. Did you receive a welcome packet yet? If so, call the POC for the school and get the details.

Posts: 10 | Location: Munroe Falls, Oh | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SSG Chaney,

First of all, thank you so much for posting this up for all to see. It's really beneficial to see the school from a candidates perspect so that anyone who will be attending the school will have a better understanding of what to expect. Or at least to the best of their ability.

Second, I am prior service with expected entry into the Army Reserves (with the hopes of going active) as I have nearly 9 years of service (plus two deployments overseas) as NG. It's time to do something different with my career, been 11B the whole time.

I am expected to pick up my E-5 shortly after I get released from the National Guard into the Army Reserve to link up with the Drill Sergeant Unit up in Eugene, OR then subsequently after I pick up my promotion I'm off to the school.

My few questions are;

1: Did you shadow any IET units while in the school outside of doing PT with the new privates? If so, in what respect did you help train the new soldiers?

2: Even though with the reserve, from what I'm told, is mainly combat service support and not combat arms. Since I'm currently 11b, and should by the grace of god I end up going active like I'm hoping, will I have the option of being a Drill Sergeant at a BCT, or OSUT unit to train 11B? or is my only option is to maintain the combast service support?

I apologize for the length of my post but I just have a few questions to kind of get a general understanding of what the possibilities are once (or rather "IF") I graduate Drill Sergeant School.

That's all for now, Thank you all so much for your service, and hope one day I'll get to run into at least one of you.

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a Gift. That is why it is called The Present.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 14 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SPC Baughman,

First off, good luck going active. They're taking very little back right now as far as prior service. Patience is the key. Follow USAREC on Facebook, go to their page then go to discussions, watch for the business rules as they update anywhere from monthly to every 2-3 months.
2nd, it's not going to be easy to make E5 in a DS unit, you're best bet is to go there as an E5. You now must be a SGT-SFC to go to DSS.

1: You will get various embedment time during DSS. It's not guaranteed, but the DS School will coordinate with BCT units and then come to the candidates and ask for volunteers. Its' sort of on an as needed basis, so it's random. I suggest volunteering as much as possible, it's a great learning experience. It can be range time, FTX time, ruck marches or just PT. Be cautious of how you conduct yourself, follow 350-6 and (obviously) observe the DS's and get an idea of what is acceptable before jumping right into the mix of things.

2: Every BDE and BN has it's own mission to support, mine is at Ft. Leonard Wood. you will be in the 95th DIV if you go to the unit in Oregon. I am not sure where they send their DS's for trail time. The UA, 1SG, CDR, etc will be able to answer that.

It's not "IF" you graduate DSS, prep yourself for success and you WILL make it. Go there with no PT concerns and be comfortable in front of a formation. Modules get people because if you fail, then you pitch the one you failed and another one. Be able to pitch the modules, the school has changed so that now you don't have prep time after you draw a module, you draw a module then pitch it, so know them. Don't get caught up in the verbage of the module itself. Just think about it, you have 9 years of service, so you should know exactly how to physically perform any module you should pitch. Think of it in your mind, it sounds elementary, but you're teaching someone who knows NOTHING of any position/facing movement. Break it down, look your demonstrator from head to toe and be able to tell them where their head, eyes, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, legs, feet, etc should be placed. Also, brush up on the new PT, TC 3-22.20. Re-familiarize yourself on AR 670-1. Know how to read a wetbulb, know how to conduct a class (Action, Condition, Standards, conduct the class, then perform an AAR). Brush up on D&C, even if you aren't good at cadences, be able to march a platoon and company in a "left right" cadence manner, proper voice inflection and commands.

This may sound like a lot, but trust me, you know at least half of it whether you realize it or not. Also, with modules, step 1 is a specific format that is followed by all modules, learn it then just substitute words in for a position/movement that you are instructing. Also, for modules, brush up on things that we don't do often, stack and take arms, open ranks, forming and aligning, etc.

I tried to cover as much as possible, but I know I missed some stuff. Hope this helps.

DS Pirri

Posts: 10 | Location: Munroe Falls, Oh | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What type of boots are they allowing in the DSS. Oakley's/Nikes? I am also looking for a good suggestion of Hotels or Motels to place my family in before graduation. Anyone out there have an example of a 4187 Deferment. Need to know what goes in Section IV.

SSG G

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James97,

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Polk | Registered: 26 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post