ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Army Boards  Hop To Forums  Tough Board Questions    Need help with possible dishonorable discharge question !
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with possible dishonorable discharge question !
 Login/Join

posted
I hope someone can help me !
The other day I applied for(was approved through NICS)and bought a handgun.
30 years ago, I was discharged from the army for desertion ( non wartime ).
Believe it or not, I honestly don't remember what kind of discharge I received !
I didn't serve any jail time and I don't remember any big trial! If I did get a DD , wouldn't the NICS background check have picked it up. I am sweating bullets here! I applied for my dd 214 , but that could take a while . If anybody has any insight here it would be greatly appreciated ! I was approved through New York and Pennsylvania ! Could it be possible it just slipped through the cracks, or maybe I received a bad conduct instead and I just don't remember !
Having a hard time sleeping at night !
PLEASE HELP !

Thanks

mark

Posts: 5 | Registered: 22 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Your dd214 shouldn't take too long to get there. A dishonorable discharge will effect a handgun permit in NY, anything other then an actual dishonorable discharge won't though, then you go on into whether or not your civil convited of anything...

I had to edit my post because I typed incorrect information because I read your post wrong!

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Unless you never even turned yourself in....lol

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I believe it's a federal law that says if you have a dishonorable discharge u cannot own firearms ! And I just bought 3 ! That's why I'm so nervous !

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Yeah and as of 2006 NCIS put out dishonorable discharge holders = no handguns. So you are right to be worried, if you have your permit then you should be good since they sold you the weapon with a proper background check, right?

Do the right thing and contact the proper authorities to see if you indeed do have the right to have a handgun, if not, go to the vendors of your firearms and see if they'll take them back for full price, if not, turn them in for unlawfully selling a weapon to someone unauthorized.

It will probably come back to what's on your DD214, if you already contacted veteran affairs about getting your copy, you took a step in the right direction.

Posts: 405 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I bought a firearm In New York and in PA (resident of pa ) and passed both background checks! Now I applied for a carry permit ! Just don't remember discharge status and not remembering is killing me ! Any chance in 30 years it could have been upgraded 1 notch ! And why wouldn't it show up on NICS check ! Hope all this worrying isn't for nothing !!!!

Picture of 11B32B
posted Hide Post
Flyguy, the chance it was upgraded is slim to none unless you filed for an upgrade via veteran affairs, if you find out that the guns were bought when you werent supposed to be able to, you can fill out a review by the board to see if you qualify for an upgrade from ( your possible dishonorable ) to other then or something else.

posted Hide Post
And any ideas why the 2 background checks would not have picked it up ?

posted Hide Post
I've read that DD is so serious that a traffic stop and background check will pick it up !
Man are my fingers crossed !

posted Hide Post
Well, guess that's whatcha get for deserting. Wink

Insert witty saying/ Brag about my ribbons and rank here.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 06 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flyguy:
I hope someone can help me !
The other day I applied for(was approved through NICS)and bought a handgun.
30 years ago, I was discharged from the army for desertion ( non wartime ).
Believe it or not, I honestly don't remember what kind of discharge I received !
I didn't serve any jail time and I don't remember any big trial! If I did get a DD , wouldn't the NICS background check have picked it up. I am sweating bullets here! I applied for my dd 214 , but that could take a while . If anybody has any insight here it would be greatly appreciated ! I was approved through New York and Pennsylvania ! Could it be possible it just slipped through the cracks, or maybe I received a bad conduct instead and I just don't remember !
Having a hard time sleeping at night !
PLEASE HELP !

Thanks

mark

you can only get a dishonorable from a court martial, if you went AWOL and then deserted more likely you got a general or other than honorable...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly you have to fill out a form for the ATF when purchasing firearms. One of the questions asks if you dishonorably discharged. So the blame and liability falls on you

Posts: 532 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post