ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Army Boards  Hop To Forums  Tough Board Questions    Persuade someone to re-enlist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Persuade someone to re-enlist
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,
I'm going to the board in a few days and I just attended a moch board. Turns out everything on the board is going to situational. The sergeant major is going to have other people in the room and he is going to throw people into situations with the other soldiers in the room. Turns out one of the situations hes going to throw at me is to persuade one of them to reenlist. Anybody have any advice on how to persuade someone to reenlist? also if anyone else has attended a board like this what are some other situations that could be thrown at me?

Thanks
SPC Irvine

Posts: 7 | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Sivy2009
posted Hide Post
Better hope that soldier in their with you likes you. If he is anti-Army and has half a brain he could very well make you look very foolish.

"Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Posts: 447 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
the soldiers that are going to be in there are talked to by the sergeant major before the board goes down. So they are going to say and act how ever the sergeant major tells them to prior to the board

posted Hide Post
Well thats pretty easy but there probably is not a real right or wrong answer in this situation, but this is what I would do and being a recruiter it makes it easy.

1: Find out why they joined the army
2: Find out if they enjoy what they are doing(likes, dislikes about army, MOS)
3: Have they acheived the goals they joined the military for
4: What do they plan on doing if they get out and do they have that process set up yet to be succesful when they do get out( thats a big part, soldiers just want out and dont have any career plans for when they do get out)
5: How can reenlisting continue to help them acheive their goals
6: Talk to your career counselor and brush up on all the re-enlistment incentives that are available for you MOS. Or perhaps some other options in regards to reclassing. That way you will be knowledgable when your talking to this troop

If you cover all those areas I think you will be fine. The SGM is going to give them instruction to either be cooperative if you hit all the right areas and if you dont then they will be uncooperative.

Posts: 272 | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2HYSPD4U:
Well thats pretty easy but there probably is not a real right or wrong answer in this situation, but this is what I would do and being a recruiter it makes it easy.

1: Find out why they joined the army
2: Find out if they enjoy what they are doing(likes, dislikes about army, MOS)
3: Have they acheived the goals they joined the military for
4: What do they plan on doing if they get out and do they have that process set up yet to be succesful when they do get out( thats a big part, soldiers just want out and dont have any career plans for when they do get out)
5: How can reenlisting continue to help them acheive their goals
6: Talk to your career counselor and brush up on all the re-enlistment incentives that are available for you MOS. Or perhaps some other options in regards to reclassing. That way you will be knowledgable when your talking to this troop

If you cover all those areas I think you will be fine. The SGM is going to give them instruction to either be cooperative if you hit all the right areas and if you dont then they will be uncooperative.

Awesome post, I was going to most something very similar to this, a very Recruiter way to approach this.

Find out their goals, the why's on their goals and how the Army can continue to help them achieve them...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So I went the board and I did get recommended for promotion. I think the board was very different from the way they normally go down. There was no straight forward questioning and answering. It was 100% situational. The board members would explain a scenario out and give you a mission. Then you would act out accomplishing that mission and so on. The other 2 people attending the board and I were all in the room at the same time going thru the process together, it was crazy. If anyone would like to know some of the situations I was put it I can let ya know.

I'm glad its over, no more stressing and hopefully I will get picked up on January 1st if the points for 25B's stay as low as they have been lately.

Thanks for the advice in the previous posts.
SPC Irvine

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Oh come on...tell us your situation and how you handled it....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
LOL okay ill explain it the best i can.

They put me into 3 situations

The first one,
There was two random soliders in the board room, the 1sg briefed me that there was going to be a night time convoy the next day at 2100 and that the two soldiers needed to be zero'd and qualified on their M4's well in advance of the convoy so that they were ready to go. So I had to tell the soldiers where to be, when, what they needed, what they could bring (snacks, water, etc), and what the standard was. I also went over immediate and remedial action. That was pretty much everything the 1sg wanted to hear, it was a pretty easy scenario for anyone who has been to a range in the army.

The second one,
I had to conduct an AAR on some training related to my MOS, which was pretty easy also because nobody in the board room had any idea of the specifics of my job here in iraq. Went thur the basic AAR procedures, three goods, three things that needed improvement,etc. Another pretty easy scenario.

The third one,
Okay this one was a little more complicated. They gave me a scenario where I was a squad leader and I had a corporal and a private under me in my squad. It's monday morning and we are waiting around to fall in for formation and my private isnt there, so i send my corporal to his room to find him. Formation ends and neither of them are back yet so i go to the privates room to find my corporal smoking the shit out of him. The private is complaining that he doesnt feel good. So I tell the private to recover and I pull the corporal off to the side to see if he found out what was going on and why he was smoking him. Turns out the corporal didnt bother to find out why he wasnt at formation he jus went str8 into smoking him. So I tell them both to meet me in my office at 0900. They meet me at my office and the corporal starts smokin the private again, and the private continues to complain that he doesnt feel good and needs to go to the medshed. The corporal is acting way out of line and mouthing off to me. I tell the corporal to take the private to the medshed. Turns out the private passes out and is unconscious. Then the SGM asks me what would you do in this situation. My answer was I would first make sure that the private was getting the appropriate medical attention and that he was okay and then I would council the corporal. They liked the answer but they emphasized in a situation like that you would have to make sure something goes on paper bc if that soldier died or something happened to him due to excessive PT a huge investigation would go down.

Those were the three situations they put me in, but through out the whole board process the SGM was always asking random questions that pertained to the Board MOI subjects. They werent straight forward questions tho they all required a well thought out answer.

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oggy:
hopefully I will get picked up on January 1st

Why wouldn't you hope for December 1st?

Posts: 339 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
well I was originally but the way my S1 explained it to me was since i went to the board in november I wouldn't be able to get promoted til January 1st if I made cutoff for december.

Is this true?

edit: just talked to my J1 turns out whoever told me that info was wrong, all my stuff was submitted before the 8th so if i do make points i should get picked up on december first

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oggy:
well I was originally but the way my S1 explained it to me was since i went to the board in november I wouldn't be able to get promoted til January 1st if I made cutoff for december.

Is this true?

edit: just talked to my J1 turns out whoever told me that info was wrong, all my stuff was submitted before the 8th so if i do make points i should get picked up on december first

Yeah, I was going to say if they get turned in before the 8th, you should be able to compete for December 1st and if you make cut off get promoted, congrats.

Lead by Example!!!