ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    Problem after being flagged.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem after being flagged.
 Login/Join

posted
I was promotable and was flagged and put on the weight loss program. I had a bad car accident and damaged my back about a year ago. Too make a long story short. I was flagged and I have since passed Pt and Tape test. I have since accumulated about 160 more points. I wanted to add these to my DA3355. Now it says it is incompete and board points need to be added. My original points are on my erb. My S1 tells me they cannot add my board points, because I was flaged. I am confused. If i have passed all my tests and had the flag removed why am I still not able to have my promotion board points entered. I have my promotion packet those 147 points I earned when I went to the board are crucial. I would have made promotion points for Jan 1st if my S1 would have been able to figure what is going on. He just tells me we are having a problem, because you were flagged. I explained to him it has been taken off my ERB, and that my original points I first accumulated are also on my erb. Since we are in Germany he told me today it is something handled in Virginia? Anyone with knowledge of this would help me out a lot.

Posts: 47 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 21 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Screaming35F
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure you have to be reboarded since being unflagged.

Posts: 184 | Location: Fort Campbell, KY | Registered: 24 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dog Robber
posted Hide Post
Once you are flagged you lose your promotable status and now must reboard... This means you don't get those points back, you have to go in front of a board again and earn them again...

I know this sucks but that is what your S1 is trying to say without explaining it to you well it seems.

Posts: 126 | Location: University of Iowa | Registered: 30 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
That is not necessarily true. They have to pull your promotable status. It is not automatic just because you are flagged for APFT or Height/Weight.

AR 600-8-19, Chapter 1, paragraph 1-11:
1–11. Delay of promotion due to suspension of favorable personnel actions for Soldiers on a centralized promotion list When a delay of promotion has occurred because of suspension of favorable personnel actions, the following rules apply once the final DA Form 268 has been prepared. The Soldier’s promotion status will be determined as follows:
a. If the FLAG is lifted with the disposition, Case is closed favorably, and he or she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he or she will be promoted. Effective date and date of rank (DOR) will be the date the Soldier would otherwise have been promoted.
b. If the Soldier’s final report is closed with “Disciplinary action taken,” and he or she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he or she will be promoted unless action has been initiated to remove the Soldier from the recommended list. Effective date and DOR will be the date following the removal of the suspension of personnel actions.
c. If the Soldier’s final report is closed with “Other” (applies to the Army Weight Control Program, the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), and the ASAP), and he or she would have been promoted while suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise eligible, he or she will be promoted. Effective date and DOR will be the effective date of the removal of the suspension of favorable personnel action.
d. Effective date and DOR stated on a promotion instrument (orders or DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action)) will be the same. The effective date reflected on the promotion instrument will be the effective date used on the grade change (GRCH) transaction.

Screaming and Dog, a little research goes a long way. I just typed in key words and found that ArmyReenlistment posted this for a similar question. Bad information is contagious and will continue to spread like a virus. If you don't know, research. If you don't want to take the time to research, write "I believe", "in my opinion", or "in my past experience."

REDLEG81

Posts: 203 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I appreciate all the help. I will get with my COC on Wed and see what is my status. As far as I know my promatable status was not pulled, but you never know. I must do my homework. Thank you

Posts: 47 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 21 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedLeg81:
That is not necessarily true. They have to pull your promotable status. It is not automatic just because you are flagged for APFT or Height/Weight.

AR 600-8-19, Chapter 1, paragraph 1-11:
1–11. Delay of promotion due to suspension of favorable personnel actions for Soldiers on a centralized promotion list When a delay of promotion has occurred because of suspension of favorable personnel actions, the following rules apply once the final DA Form 268 has been prepared. The Soldier’s promotion status will be determined as follows:
a. If the FLAG is lifted with the disposition, Case is closed favorably, and he or she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he or she will be promoted. Effective date and date of rank (DOR) will be the date the Soldier would otherwise have been promoted.
b. If the Soldier’s final report is closed with “Disciplinary action taken,” and he or she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he or she will be promoted unless action has been initiated to remove the Soldier from the recommended list. Effective date and DOR will be the date following the removal of the suspension of personnel actions.
c. If the Soldier’s final report is closed with “Other” (applies to the Army Weight Control Program, the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT), and the ASAP), and he or she would have been promoted while suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise eligible, he or she will be promoted. Effective date and DOR will be the effective date of the removal of the suspension of favorable personnel action.
d. Effective date and DOR stated on a promotion instrument (orders or DA Form 4187 (Personnel Action)) will be the same. The effective date reflected on the promotion instrument will be the effective date used on the grade change (GRCH) transaction.

Screaming and Dog, a little research goes a long way. I just typed in key words and found that ArmyReenlistment posted this for a similar question. Bad information is contagious and will continue to spread like a virus. If you don't know, research. If you don't want to take the time to research, write "I believe", "in my opinion", or "in my past experience."

Here is my questions, does it matter that your source says "Centralized" and E5 and E6 promotions are semi-centralized?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of RedLeg81
posted Hide Post
a. SPC to SGT Promotions

1. Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) Card (not older than 12 months from the date they met cutoff.)
2. Weapon’s Qualification Card (not older than 24 months from the date they met cutoff.)
3. Current Jump Log (Only if you received points for Hazardous Duty)
4. Current Hazardous Duty order in Current Unit of Assignment
5. UMR/Soldier must be slotted in an authorized position

b. SGT to SSG Promotions

1. Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) Card (not older than 1 year)
2. Weapon’s Qualification Card (not older than 2 years)
3. Current Jump Log (Only if you received points for Hazardous Duty)
4. Current Hazardous Duty order in Current Unit of Assignment
5. UMR/Soldier must be slotted in an authorized position
6. Soldier must have 12 months time in service (TIS) from the effective date of promotion, if not Soldier must reenlist or extend. As long as the Soldier reenlists or extends prior to the 1st of the Month, the Date of Rank (DOR) will be the 1st of the Month. If the Soldier reenlists or extends after the 1st of the promotion month, the date he reenlists or extends will be his DOR.

3. Soldier must not be flagged, barred from reenlistment, or have any unfavorable or adverse actions pending.
a. When a Soldier is flagged the following are the ways they can still be promoted:
(1) If the FLAG is lifted with the disposition, Case is closed favorably, and he/she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he/she will be promoted. Effective date and Date of Rank (DOR) will be the date the soldier would otherwise have been promoted.
(2) If the Soldier’s final report is closed with “Disciplinary action taken,” and he/she would have been promoted while the suspension of favorable personnel actions was in effect, provided otherwise qualified, he/she will be promoted unless action has been initiated to remove the Soldier from the recommended list. Effective date and DOR will be the date following the removal of the suspension of personnel actions.

4. The following are common reasons IAW AR 600-8-19 Soldiers are removed from the promotion standing list and/or by-name list:
a. Flagged for APFT Failure
b. Flagged for Overweight (IAW 600-9)
c. Failure to qualify, for cause, for the security clearance required for the MOS.
d. Soldier signs Declination of Continued Service Statement.
e. Promotion authority determines that the Soldier’s promotion packet contains fraudulent documents.

5. In order to remove a Soldier from the promotion standing list and/or by name list the following documents are needed:
a. The initiated FLAG (DA Form 268).
b. Supporting documents for the FLAG for example, Article 15, failed APFT Card.
c. Memorandum from the Company Commander requesting for the Soldier to be removed for reasons IAW AR 600-8-19, paragraphs 1-10 a through k.
d. Endorsement from the Battalion Commander also requesting for the Soldier to be removed for reasons IAW AR 600-8-19, paragraphs 1-10 a through k.

6. If it is determined that the Soldier is erroneously flagged, the following documents are required so that the Soldier is still able to get promoted:
a. The FLAG needs to be removed and bring the FLAG Removal (DA Form 268)
b. Memorandum from Company Commander stating why the FLAG was there and why was it removed.
c. Endorsement from the Battalion Commander stating why the FLAG was there and why it was removed.

As you can see, being flagged alone does not automatically remove you from the promotable list. The Commander has to request it.

REDLEG81

Posts: 203 | Location: Fort Bliss | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Found out today my promotable status was never pulled. My clerk tells me that the flag was removed from my ERB, but there needs to be other papers which batallion has to pull me off a list which states I am flagged. Until, then they cannot compute all my points. I am a little confused, but then again even my clerk seemed like he was confused. I hope we can get it settled byt he 8 of Jan or again I will not make the list do to something not being done on their part.

posted Hide Post
Wow lots of good info here.

I have a question about being flagged for the weight control. in my ERB it stats that the flag will end in 2011(32 years)

Does this mean that if i lose the weight and pass the tape. that i still cannot be promoted during the three years. or does the flag go away compleatly?

Posts: 9 | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eedro:
Wow lots of good info here.

I have a question about being flagged for the weight control. in my ERB it stats that the flag will end in 2011(32 years)

Does this mean that if i lose the weight and pass the tape. that i still cannot be promoted during the three years. or does the flag go away compleatly?

The flag will get removed if you pass the tape and stuff but it will remain in your ERB for 3 years, even if you pass, yes. It will show that is no longer active but it will be there.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3915 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DragonSGT
posted Hide Post
eedro, you answered your own question, in a sense. The way that weight control flags work is that the flag stays on your record three years from the day it is initiated. The policy states that you cannot be placed on the weight control program again within three years of being placed on it initially. If you lose the weight and pass the tape, you will no longer be flagged, but it will be on your records, in case there is a time when you have to be placed on the weight control program again. It is marked with an 'E' on your records after you pass tape, which tells your S-1 section and 1sg that the flag has expired. You can be considered for promotion after you have completed the program, and as long as you are within Army standards you can be considered for promotion. The flag is merely present for reference purposes.

Second to none!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

I did talk to another SGT(just a few minutes ago actually) and he said that he has been flagged on and off for years. he also said that the flag dissapeared from his ERB when he passed the tape. are the rules different when you are an NCO?

Also, what happens if one is but back on the weight control during the three years?

It's good to know that if i pass the tape i can be promoted again(and not have to wait for three years).

Another thing i am courious about though. I had been on Profile for 6 months before taking the PT test(i did not wait the 3 months past my last profile date) is there any chance i can request that the KE be taken off?

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eedro:
Thanks for the input.

I did talk to another SGT(just a few minutes ago actually) and he said that he has been flagged on and off for years. he also said that the flag dissapeared from his ERB when he passed the tape. are the rules different when you are an NCO?

Also, what happens if one is but back on the weight control during the three years?

It's good to know that if i pass the tape i can be promoted again(and not have to wait for three years).

Another thing i am courious about though. I had been on Profile for 6 months before taking the PT test(i did not wait the 3 months past my last profile date) is there any chance i can request that the KE be taken off?

Why would they take it off? Were you not eligible for PT test when you took it? Did you tell them you were still on "profile" when you took the PT test? Did they tell you it was your choice to have a record or diagnostic and you chose the first, but now that you failed the tape you want to take it back?

Lead by Example!!!

posted Hide Post
Why would they take it off? Were you not eligible for PT test when you took it? Did you tell them you were still on "profile" when you took the PT test? Did they tell you it was your choice to have a record or diagnostic and you chose the first, but now that you failed the tape you want to take it back?

I admit my last question was simply to consider my options.

I would still like to know what happens if you get put back on the weight control progam. Also i am still courious as to why the SGT said that his weight problem dissapeared from his ERB totaly.

posted Hide Post
I to have been flagged for AWCP (1%) and have since signing my counseling have passed tape and have yet to have my flag removed. I brought up the whole AR 600-8-19, Chapter 1, paragraph 1-11 and they said since it state CENTRALIZED that means E7 and above benefit from this. My counseling was written up on the 5th but not signed until the 8th Also the 1sgt didn't round up in the neck and down on the waist since my height was 66.5. I brought this up to my CO and was just kicked out of the office..IS there any hope I have been waiting to be promoted since December of last year and finally made points for April but of course my company finds another way to mess up a soldiers life!!! Any and all help is appreciated!!!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 25 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post