ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    Regarding promotion points from ASI producing schools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regarding promotion points from ASI producing schools
 Login/Join

posted
Can anybody tell me what qualifies an ASI producing school to give promotion points?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
AR 600-8-19 - Regulation.
Pages 47--48

I dont quite understand your question.
When you get promototed, or go for a promotion. It is in your MOS. So if you have an ASI, that is treated as "Military Education" towards promototion points. ((4pts per week of training))

Here is the cut/paste directly from the REG.

Basically, if you can LOSE YOUR ASI. Ahd hypothetically if you did, then you would still have the PMOS that you are going for promotion for, then your ASI is worth 4 pts a week.

So long asi's.....automatically "MAX" you out in military ed!!!!!!

b. The following courses are not valid for the awarding of promotion points under military education:
(1) Completion of BCT, AIT, and new equipment training.
(2) ASI, SQI, or language identification codes (LIC) course required to hold qualification in or be awarded an MOS.
(3) ASI, SQI, or LIC received because of MOS restructuring instead of successful completion of the required
course.
(4) Attendance at the USMAPS or the United States Military Academy.
(5) On-the-job training and on-the-job experience, including Sergeants Time Training.
(6) OCS, WOC Course, and ANCOC.
(7) Duplicate military correspondence and military education courses (For example, a Soldier attends Combat
Lifesaver Course and completes the Army Correspondence Course Program Combat Lifesaver Course. The Soldier
receives points for the one completed first.)
(8) Military courses completed in the other Armed Forces that were required to hold qualification in or be awarded a
MOS/rate.
(9) Federal Emergency Management Agency courses (see DA PAM 350–59, para 4–54).

Hope that helped.............

Posts: 548 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT EyE
posted Hide Post
Kimo.ing,

It's pretty easy to understand. Just have to know what you are looking for. First of all if you look inside the promotion reg of enlisted AR 600-8-19 you will see that the actual ASI/ SQI themselves do not give you promotion points. However, the training and bagdes/tabs can give you promotion points. Take for example: Air Assault school. The ASI for this school is 2B, worth absolutely nothing when it comes to the promotion boards. However, the Air Assault wings(bagde) and the training (11 days= 88 hours) are worth promotion points. You get 5 points for the wings and 8 points for the training length. Talk to your S-1 about it and research it more on www.usapa.army.mil . Good Luck!! Cool

Posts: 41 | Location: Fort Meade | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Under the new point system (set to take affect in August, it is slightly different. You may want to plan around that depending on your situation with TIS/TIG and waivers.

Here is the cut and paste from the PowerPoint Slides passed down by my PSG:

-POINTS LINKED TO OFFICIAL TRAINING COURSES
LISTED IN ATRRS.
-BCT, IET, MOS-PRODUCING AND LANGUAGE
COURSES WILL NOT EQUATE TO PROMOTION
POINTS.
-ALL SQI, ASI, AND OTHER TRAINING COURSE
WILL RECEIVE POINTS AS THEY INCREASE
SOLDIER’S SKILLS – REGARDLESS IF MOS
REQUIRES THE TRAINING.

Notice that it does not say how many points they are worth. I would hazard a guess that the normal method (40 hours = 4 points) would apply but do not take that as an established fact. It stand to reasonbut anything is possible.

Posts: 13 | Location: Ft Meade | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would ask your S1. They should know. When I wemt to the promortion board my linguist identifier did not count because "i needed the identifier to do my mos". However, the parachutist one did. Now, maby it is just me, but if in an airborne unit, that qualifies as "needed to do your job". So just ask. They should know.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Crazy Doc Brown
posted Hide Post
Ok Just as MaleNurse stated above here it is in a nut shell if the the ASI is a resident course you can get promotion points for it, If you were to lose your ASI and it not effect you MOS then you can get point for it. For example if you are a 68W (Medic) and your ASI is a M6 (Nurse) then you will get promotion points for it (roughly it comes out to 208 but we are only athorized 200) simply because if you were to lose you nursing licenes it would not effect your MOS you still would be a 68W. With all being said and done if you are a 68WM6 you can max military ed and if you pay a school such as NCI you can max your civilan ed. So your MOS can max you in both areas hense the term double dipping and you recive 300 points for simple your ASI. Also any classes you take of 40 hours count even the ones for inprocessing in Germany Head start is a big one.

Posts: 13 | Location: Germany | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
the ler

i beg to differ with that advice tho.

they SHOULD know....with the should being the operative word

I would never tell a soldier to "just as the S1".

Don't get me wrong, i'm sure S1 knows S1 stuff than most NON S1. But everyone makes mistakes. I would read the regs, then after that......also ask S1.

Prime example...when I went to the E6 board....the promotion clerk (civilian)...was not aware that ASI==MILITARY ED promotion pts. (as i and crazy doc brown pointed out) I had to teach/show her this in the reg....and when i left my points review, she was thanking me for informing her that. But I just think of that potential soldier, who got the ball dropped from BEFORE!!!B/C i'm sure there was one. Everyone promotoble in my section is maxed on military ed, so that makes me feel better, thats the first thing i asked my co-workers when i got back to the floor after that..but still. Not to bad mouth S1...hell i used to be 42L (S1). But no word of mouth is more accurate that army regs...always good to tell soldiers to referance....THEN ask...not just "ask" and go with what ya hear...and thats all.

Posts: 548 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. Despite having shown 600-8-19 to my PLTSGT he still doesn't know if the course I took counts as promotion points, though I'm fairly certain it does, and 611-21 is quite confusing.

Basically, if you're a 98Y and have taken 451 did that count for you?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
What ezactly is 451?

Is that REQUIRED for ALL 98Y's???

If the answer is NO, then YES it does count for promotion points!!!! As long as it either:

An ASI (the 1059 is the supporting document)

----OR-----

Training, that is over 40 hrs in length (the certificate of training, signed by a BN CDR or higher is the supporting document)

turn it in!!!make a points update!!

Picture of Ordonator
posted Hide Post
Ok, so this seems pretty clear, and from what I can tell, MaleNurse recieved points for his M6 ASI.

I am also a M6, however, my brigade's S1 keeps telling me no, no, no on promotion points for M6 ASI.

Any ideas on how I can possibly explain this to them so I can get my points???

Posts: 3 | Location: Ft Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
Ordonator,

You do NOT need the M6 to be a 68W. You are promoted and compete as a 68W, (not a 68WM6).

Show them the Regulation..

Speak to a POC (if attainable) at BRIGADE or POST PBS promotions.....and get a name to go with the clarification. (now i dont mean "dime" someone out...like HE/SHE SAID IT WAS IN THE REGS...thats a fast way to get your a$$-chewed....what i mean is there is 9/10 chance that a Soldier at PBS who is MORE than willing to "take care of the soldier", and will be glad to call your BN and inform them that ASI==points and sqaure them away, so future soldiers to include yourself are taken care of properly. A simple "SGT, do you have a minute, i was somewhat confused about a promotions reg, and I would like to get clarification from a subject matter expert"

(that above is prolly the route i would take, but that's just me, and that's also b/c the ezact same thing went down and just like that I have seen before so, yea)...as your Brigade or BN S1 is prolly not going to take a SPC/NON-Admin soldier's word. (no offense) but to them they probably just see another soldier who wants more points....and that migh be all they see.

Ask to speak to the NCOIC of the section, for clarification. (although most of the time, unless communication is HORRIBLE the NCOIC and promotions clerk are on the same page, well lets HOPE so, not always the case tho)

Ask to get support/involvement from you NCO support channel.

(just remember to be tactfull, professional and show no frustration or impatience during the "leg-work")

anyhow....where's YOUR first line NCO?? He/she should be squaring you away and I believe doing THIS...anyhow...nevermind, thats a differant topic.

good luck, lemme know how it turns out. It's not like its 5 or 10 points.... thats 200 points ya know!!!!

hope this helps

Picture of Ordonator
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much. This has been burning me up for too long here. They told us at M6 that it would be worth points and then when I got to my unit it was no. Then I did some rotations up at MAMC and talked to some other M6's who picked up E5 right away because they got the points. So now I'm here.

Actually, what's funny is that I am the S1 (for my unit, I'm in a Forward Surgical Team) and they still won't listen to me.

Since the problem is with Brigade, I'll try the PBS. My NCO is a M6 as well, and he did his points the old fashioned way.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

And by the way, BNC! BNC! BNC!

Posts: 3 | Location: Ft Lewis, WA | Registered: 30 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
Yea, if the PBS educates all brigades and bn's then not only can u help yourself, you can be indirectly helping 100 other future joe's...so they dont have to go through "this".

The reg seems pretty black and white to me. If it did, if it DID seem grey to someone....i always thought it was common sence to make it grayEr to favor the side of the soldier. that's another topic too tho....

did u go to phase 2/3 at bamc?

whats BNC?

Picture of Ordonator
posted Hide Post
Yeah I would like to help these guys. There's not too many M6's that come through our bridage so I would assume that's the reason for all the dysfunction.

I did in fact go to Phase 2/3 at BAMC. I enjoyed my time there very much.

Sorry, BNC means Boy Nurse Corps. I don't really remember where I picked that up but a lot of the M6's I meet think it's funny or have heard it before.

Thanks again.

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
Oh, oh ok.
We have 13 M6's on our floor. Only 2 are female.

I went to BAMC for phase 2/3 as well. Graduated back in Oct.

your more than welcome, i hope it works out for ya. later