ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    E4 Wanting to become E5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E4 Wanting to become E5
 Login/Join

posted
I am a currently deployed to iraq and want to go to the board here but I have some people telling me that I am eligible and others telling me I am not.

I am a E4 with a BASD of 04-21-2005 and I have been a E4 since 11-01-2006.

So to sum it up I been a E4 for 4 months, 6 days
and I have been in the army for 1 year, 10 months, 14 days

Can I go to the board?...if not how much longer do I have to wait? Am I eligible for promotion in the SZ zone yet?

Also how does the SZ zone work? My commander said he will promote me as soon as I am eligible but does he need a waivor to do it? Can I get the waiver for both TIS and TIG?

Thanks for your help

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
For wanting to be an NCO you should be able to research these questions fairly easy. When your soldiers want to know these things, they will come to you looking for the answer. You will be expected to find these for them. Both of these answers are on this web site and can be found by typing TIG in the search box.

What is the time requirement for board appearance for SGT?

SGT Board "Primary Zone" - 34 months TIS and 6 months TIMIG.
SGT Board "Secondary Zone" - 16 months TIS and 4 months TIMIG.

What are the TIS and TIG requirements for promotion to SGT?

Time in service: 36 months (PZ); 18 months (SZ)
Time in grade: 8 months (PZ); 4 months (SZ)

Posts: 205 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I know that. I found the information really easy...its just I have people saying that I am not eligible so I want someone to confirm that YES I am eligible and should be able to go to the board. Also I am confused about the waivor for secondary zone...I have enough promotion points for SZ...is that all I need?

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I went to the board with 4 months tig as E4.

But I had more then 4 years in. I belive you have to according to the reg have 18months and 4mths for secondary zone.

Posts: 402 | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a E4

First things first. Stop refering to yourself as a pay grade. You are a SPC/CPL not an E4. Refering to yourself in view of how much you get paid leads me to believe you are more interested in being paid more than becoming a leader of soldiers. The TIS, TIG requirements are to ensure that you have the maturity and experience needed to mentor and lead troops. Do not rush into becoming an NCO. Focus on being the best soldier that you can be and rank will follow.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 101 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Absolutely. You must be in control of your own career. However, being recomended for promotion by your commander should be based soley off of your potential for increased responsibility not just meeting the minimum standard. I have met individuals that were natural leaders and were "fast tracked" I have also met board babies that get promoted because they can memorize information out of a book.
quote:
The best NCOs I have been around are the ones that got fast tracked...the worst have been the automatic promotion NCO.

I have also seen the opposite be true. There is something to be said for experience and the only way to get that is time and opportunity.

quote:
Focus on being the best soldier that you can be and rank will follow.

I did not mean to sit and wait for someone to promote you. I meant that you should constantly be striving to better yourself in order to be the best leader that you can be. If you are not being recommended for the board you should ask your supervisor for a counseling on what you need to improve to recieve this recommendation.

Bottom line is fast tracking does not make you a good leader and making SGT in 3 - 5 yrs does not make you a bad one. Having never met you I have no way of knowing your potential. All I know is that I see way to many 19 - 20 yr old SGT's that have a difficult time stepping up to the plate and becoming NCO's.

Good discusion,

Posts: 101 | Location: Schofield Barracks, HI | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post