ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    New Promotion point system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Promotion point system
 Login/Join

posted
Under the new promotion point system, for Military Ed, You can get a total of 280 points for SSG. So how many skillport hours do I need to max that out?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 21 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
Currently you would need 1,400 correspondence course hours to get the full 280 points. However, starting January 1st (and on December 5th for the PPW) the Military Education system is changing, again.

This is what is going to happen:

From E4 to E5:
WLC is worth 80 points
Commandant and Distinguished Honor/Leader Grad are both worth 12 (and you can receive both)
Resident Military Training (CLS, Armorer, PBUSE, Combatives, etc.) caps out at 78 points
Computer-based training (ACCP, Skillport, etc.) cap at 78 points

For E5 to E6:
ALC is worth 90 points
Commandant and Distinguished Honor/Leader Grad are both worth 11 each
Resident Military Training caps out at 84 points
Computer-based training cap at 84 points.

Starting January 1st the ONLY way to max out on all promotion points is to deploy with 15 or 30 months (based on your current rank to promotable rank) and get on the Commandant list and either be the Distinguished Honor or Leader Grad.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok so how many CC hour will I need when it changes. I have 14 months deployment, finished ALC on commandants list, and 906 hours of CC/skillport. So doing the math that gives me 181 points from the courses, 90 from ALC plus the 11 for Commandant List, and 28 from deployments. So that gets me to the max amount of points, but now under the new system I would only have: 129 from ALC and deployments but only 78 from ACCP/Skillport? That would bring me down to 207 hours. Wow that is a big hit, is that how it will work, or will some of my ACCP and skillport be able to be put into Resident Military Training(I do have CLS, combatives and some other things to throw in, but I haven't really counted those yet.)

Posts: 55 | Registered: 18 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
If they keep it at 5 hours per 1 promotion point then you would need 390 hours to max out the 78 for E4 to E5 and 420 to max out for E5 to E6.

However, I have not seen or heard of how they're going to implement that part.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Full Metal Elf
posted Hide Post
You have to deploy to max out on all points now??

Dont understand whats changing except for the commandants points going from 5 to 12?

Posts: 49 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Metal Elf:

What's the point in promoting a Soldier who doesn't deploy? It's not like deployment has been rare the last 2-3 years, like it was in 2000.

But watch, we'll pull out of Iraq/Afghan and it will take 5 years of No One deploying before they get around to changing the rules again... Big Grin

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Being Signal you should understand Autobahn. You know there are plenty of Strategic sites that Soldiers get assigned to straight out of AIT. Considering length of initial training and then a 3 year assignment, a Soldier can easily be in the military for 4 years before having the opportunity to be assigned to a deploying unit.

Figure in the average promotion window to SGT is 3-4 years, this can easily put a Soldier a year or two behind the power curve.

I would be interested to really see the numbers about how many MOSs have both strategic and tactical assignments and how the policy change affect those Soldiers.

Now granted, the Soldier who does not deploy would appear to have more opportunity to attend NCOES schools and other military schools that the deploying Soldier does not have the opportunity for between deployments. The new deployment cycle times starting in January should help Soldiers constantly deploying.

Posts: 209 | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sooooo....the big push for 1000 ACCP/Skillport hours was a complete waste of my time, that sucks, especially since I actually took the classes. Now I wish I would have just used that magic disc 5 or 6 years ago, since all that work is now going to be worthless, but hey at least I know some stuff about Engineer and Chaplains Duties..Waste!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AutobahnSHO:
quote:

What's the point in promoting a Soldier who doesn't deploy? It's not like deployment has been rare the last 2-3 years, like it was in 2000.

But watch, we'll pull out of Iraq/Afghan and it will take 5 years of No One deploying before they get around to changing the rules again... Big Grin

I think you misunderstood, I meant you already have to deploy now to max out your points, I dont understand what the OP is stating that is changing, thats all.

Posts: 49 | Location: Fort Belvoir, VA | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you misunderstood, I meant you already have to deploy now to max out your points, I dont understand what the OP is stating that is changing, thats all.

The only thing that is changing in the current promotion system is the military education section upping the Commandant and Distinguished Honor/Leader Grad points, as well as giving you both if applicable, and capping the Resident Training and correspondence courses.

-Murphy's Law of Combat

posted Hide Post
Why would they cap the CC points lol? How else are we to max out the mil ed part now? What a waste of 1047 LEGIT hours...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would they cap the CC points lol? How else are we to max out the mil ed part now? What a waste of 1047 LEGIT hours...

Exactly, can not believe I worked my tail off getting up over 900 hours in ACCP/Skillport courses. Time to reclass to a star MOS so it won't matter anyways....

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 31 October 2011 20:07 Hide Post
quote:

Exactly, can not believe I worked my tail off getting up over 900 hours in ACCP/Skillport courses. Time to reclass to a star MOS so it won't matter anyways....

The main reason they capped the Skillport/ACCP classes is that as everyone knows, Correspondence Courses became a joke, and it was/is too easy to rack up tons of hours without a) actually taking the classes and b) taking just the sub-courses that can be done online and never actually finishing out a whole class. I’m not saying that everyone does/did that but we all know at least one person who has.

limiting the number of hours allowed makes the need/want/factor of cheating mean less, and rewards people for taking Army courses with certified instructors and tests. It also ensures that if people are going to take the CC classes, they will at least take the FULL course, and not just the easy sub courses.

I’m not here to say it doesn’t suck, and I won’t ever say that the 900 hours of CC I completed were full courses (most if not all were sub courses), and I did claim all those courses for points four years ago, but everyone knew there needed to be a change, especially when having 100 hrs wasn’t as hard as it really sounds.

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan

Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 98Chuck4O_35Novice4O:
The main reason they capped the Skillport/ACCP classes is that as everyone knows, Correspondence Courses became a joke, and it was/is too easy to rack up tons of hours without a) actually taking the classes and b) taking just the sub-courses that can be done online and never actually finishing out a whole class. I’m not saying that everyone does/did that but we all know at least one person who has.

I could be wrong, but I believe they also capped it out to make promotions harder and more challenging and more of a want instead of a need. Just a guess, but it seems like that. I could be wrong, though.

-Murphy's Law of Combat

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sysalis:
Currently you would need 1,400 correspondence course hours to get the full 280 points. However, starting January 1st (and on December 5th for the PPW) the Military Education system is changing, again.

This is what is going to happen:

From E4 to E5:
WLC is worth 80 points
Commandant and Distinguished Honor/Leader Grad are both worth 12 (and you can receive both)
Resident Military Training (CLS, Armorer, PBUSE, Combatives, etc.) caps out at 78 points
Computer-based training (ACCP, Skillport, etc.) cap at 78 points

For E5 to E6:
ALC is worth 90 points
Commandant and Distinguished Honor/Leader Grad are both worth 11 each
Resident Military Training caps out at 84 points
Computer-based training cap at 84 points.

Starting January 1st the ONLY way to max out on all promotion points is to deploy with 15 or 30 months (based on your current rank to promotable rank) and get on the Commandant list and either be the Distinguished Honor or Leader Grad.

You already have to deploy to max your points out....