ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    Quick Promotion Points
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Promotion Points
 Login/Join

<That325iGetsDown>
posted
Is there a faster way to get civilian education credit hours? I am currently enrolled in an online university and taking courses, but they are quite long. I know CLEP tests count and I have taken some, but it's hard to find ones I can pass on a first try. Also, those results take 6 weeks to get back. I am behind on points and have been promotable for almost 2 months now...getting pretty discouraged. Any advice?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
Wow, almost two months?

You should have been working correspondence courses as a private.

There really is no "quick" way of getting massive amounts of points. Max your APFT, shoot a 40/40 on the range...

Then go to college for civilian education, enroll in (and complete) Army correspondence courses. Volunteer for deployments in the hopes that you'll get an end of deployment award (since there really is no way you can influence the awards section of your points). Study for months before you go to the board so you can hope for as close to a 150 as humanly possible. Hope your commander likes you.

It took me almost a year from the time I was promotable til the time I made Sergeant, and I had been working on it for a couple of years before I went to the board. You're getting discouraged after a couple of months?

Soldiers, nay, Americans in general these days, expect instant gratification. The Army promotion system just doesn't work that way for most MOS's.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
SSG Prophet,
Thank you for your advice. Perhaps I have not paid my dues yet. I started preparing for promotion last Spring. I enrolled in an online college and started the correspondence courses, which I'v maxed out. I started volunteering to go to schools and take classes, which helped some. I did volunteer for deployment, but since I am in a Compassionate Reassignment unit, HRC would not put me on any kind of deployment orders and my chain of command was pretty useless as far as that went. I have completed a couple of college courses and did extremely well on the board, however this is only my second duty station, so I don't have many awards. I did go to Soldier of the Quarter board, but we do not have a bde, just bn and then garrison. I won BN, but got no award or points, and did not win post, so nothing there either. I got discouraged mostly b/c soldiers who went to the board in Dec. got pinned in Jan. and everyone was asking me where mine was. My points are at 605, so not too high, I really just don't have much of an ERB yet. I did volunteer to PCS to Bragg, so hopefully that will change. I guess I will just have to cool my heels huh? Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
I guess I will just have to cool my heels huh?

Not at all ... keep that fire burning inside and keep getting promoted!

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Speaking of volunteering, there is a volunteer ribbon if you do enough community service.

talk w/ your unit's NCOs, you should get at least a certificate of Achievement from the boards you won. (Points in the bank!!) Try not to do it so you sound like you're begging for points or kudos though.. ;-)

Work on your PT score, unless you have 300pts already.

Keep working on it. Hopefully you've heard you should always act like you already have the next rank.
ie You should be Leading like a SGT now, and once you ARE a SGT, start doing the things a Good SSG does..

Good luck w/ the points!!

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5281 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGT Miller type
posted Hide Post
I received a Associate's in six months while attenting Central Texas College. Once you earn six credit hours with them they transfer all your military education to college credits. I got 35 credit hours which filled all my electives and some other slots for the degree. The six months was hell as I was taking all core classes in 8 week semesters but it was well worth it.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

"SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST"

Posts: 5 | Location: Ft. Huachuca | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
If you want an associates degree in general studies (the easiest way to go), Central Texas College is the way to go.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

posted Hide Post
Thats what I am doing. No problems so far.

Posts: 617 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG Prophet
posted Hide Post
Sorry, after re-reading that I was obviously way harsher than I intended.

Keep working at it, you'll get it. Just don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen immediately.

605 should be completely obtainable, and AR did post a link to an application form to turn military experience into college education.

There are very few things you can do that will have an immediate impact on your points, but a lot of things you can do that will have a long term impact. Work on the long term stuff, and don't get discouraged if you don't get picked up too quickly.

Working on the long term stuff (and continuing to work on it after you get picked up) will help you not have this problem in a couple more years when you try for Staff.

And again, I apologize for being brash in my comments...just trying to put things into perspective in the hopes that it'll help you avoid some of the discouragement.

Posts: 339 | Location: Ft. Meade, MD | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
SSG Prophet,
No apology necessary. I do get ahead of myself sometimes. I really do not have any military experience at this point in my career b/c for two years we have been on a compassionate for my son. We really needed to be here, and I'm glad this unit was here for us, I just missed out on a deployment and a lot of Army training. And in my unit it is not hard to be high-speed and all of my NCOs want me promoted b/c I am motivated for the job, I just don't have the experience. And that is the most important part of it, and I need to remember that sometimes. It may be good for me to go Bragg for a year or so and get a taste of a real unit before being put in a leadership position where I can screw someone else over by not knowing what is going on.

I will look into that Central Texas college, maybe the classes are shorter than American Military.

Also, Reenlistment, it is possible that I might have to stay on Belvoir for another year b/c my husband is trying to get our orders to Bragg deleted. If this is the case, can I re-class while I am here? You can pm me or email me if you want if that's easier.