ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Promotions    Sample letter to President of Promotion Board?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sample letter to President of Promotion Board?
 Login/Join

posted
I need to write a letter to the president of a promotion board explaining a missing NCOER. Can someone point me to a sample letter?

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/msdsecretaria...s/enlistedboards.htm

Specifically ... https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/msdsecretaria...rds/EnlBdPresLtr.doc

Memorandum to the President of the Board:
Golden Rule, only write a letter if your file is missing something of significance, to point out a current assignment that can not be documented in a NCOER or to explain a particular event in your career. DO NOT write a letter just to tell the board they should select you. Your record will speak for itself. A random memorandum seldom generates a positive outcome. If you have to write remember to be brief, factual, and prepared in memorandum format (AR 25-50). You should only include information that is not contained in your OMPF. Memos must be addressed to the board president and they must include your SSN and signature. Remember memos to the Board President should not be used to express grievances, to justify past misconduct, or to boast about yourself. Also, extraneous documents already filed on the OMPF or that are not authorized for filing should not be enclosed. Before mailing, have someone else review your memo for content, flow, format, as well as for grammar and spelling errors.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick and accurate response!

Posts: 23 | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
We're always here to assist. Wink

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Who do you give this letter to in order for it to go to the board? S1?
SFC Ceja

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tandmceja:
Who do you give this letter to in order for it to go to the board? S1?
SFC Ceja

I believe you can submit it via the HRC website when you're reviewing your records prior to the board, but asking your S1 wouldn't hurt. Wink

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CornBrad
posted Hide Post
I wanted to bump this thread, just to see if there were any updates.

I will be getting my first look this year, and I have repeatedly submitted documents to be uploaded into IPERMS/OMPF/My Board File, but still no change.

Can anyone post a RECENT example of a letter to the president of the board (with all PII removed, of course)? Thank you!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 16 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
CornBrad,

Why you would want to write a letter to the board?

Also, if you are having issues with your documents being uploaded to iPerms, you need to engage (repeatedly) your chain and S1. Remember, everything that is on your ERB, needs to be in your iPerms.

But everything you need to know about selection boards and a mock board video is located at

https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Selection%20Boards

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CornBrad
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by, "why would you want to write a letter to the board?".

As I stated in my original post, I am having issues with my S1 actually getting things uploaded to IPERMS. Since there is a cut-off date in which everything needs to be captured in the My Board File (which is populated from IPERMS), if something doesn't successfully get uploaded, then you need to write to the board. There is also a cut-off date to write to the board (today, in fact).

Having said that, and since my repeated attempts to actually get the missing documents uploaded has failed, I now need to write to the board, letting them know that fact, and to provide proof (via enclosures) of the missing docs.

I am simply asking if someone has a recent, successful example of that (because I am not entirely certain the one at the beginning of this post is relevant, as the regulation on which it was based, has changed)....? Also, the MILPER and the regulation are extremely vague...and I've seen numerous examples that don't follow the same format/flow.

I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 16 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
CornBrad,

My response was because I felt that you could of resolved this matter without the need of writing a letter to the board. I would think a valid reason for writing a memo to the board is to explain an issue with an NCOER.

Also, I gave you the link in my last post that gives you info for a sample letter of the board.

Here is another link https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/...20Document%20Samples

I been through DA selection boards a couple of times, so I have experience on how it works. Have you accessed your board file? Do you know how to manipulate within your board file to explain what is missing and what you are trying to correct?

When does your myboardfile close and what are your board convene dates? (I just re-read that you said today is the last day)

What documents were you trying to upload and why was your S1 is having an issue with iPerms. Didnt they give you a batch number after it was uploaded to iPerms? (they always did for me) Did you engage the S1 NCOIC/OIC for your dilemma?

Have you read the whole MILPER message and emailed the email address provided to have documents uploaded?

I had issues with my local BN S1 getting stuff uploaded into my iPerms. I then engaged my BDE S1 and my branch manager at HRC and then I was able to get them uploaded. You have many months to get your file squared away.

But if you have waited to the last minute to get things uploaded, which should have been uploaded months to years ago, then the fault is on you. But do not fret because you can still get them uploaded in time with the two month window that you board file is open.

Instead of this community forum, you should be engaging a senior NCO to help you out. And again, read the whole MILPER. Everything you need to do is in it.

Here is a snippet of what was written in the MILPER For the last Chief Warrant Officer promotion board. Again, all the instructions are within there.

4. ALL WARRANT OFFICERS IN THE ZONES OF CONSIDERATION MAY, IF DESIRED, SUBMIT
CORRESPONDENCE TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD.
A. INDIVIDUAL MEMORANDUMS SHOULD INCLUDE ONLY THOSE MATTERS DEEMED
IMPORTANT IN THE CONSIDERATION OF AN OFFICER'S RECORD. THEY SHOULD BE
ADDRESSED TO: PRESIDENT, FY15, CW3, CW4 OR CW5, PSB, ATTN: AHRC-PDV-S, 1600
SPEARHEAD DIVISION AVE, FORT KNOX, KY 40122. SIGNED MEMORANDUMS MAY BE SCANNED
AND EMAILED TO: USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-BOARD-AC-OFFICER@MAIL.MIL.
MEMORANDUMS MUST ARRIVE PRIOR TO THE CONVENE DATE OF THE BOARDS IN ORDER TO
BE CONSIDERED. DO NOT SEND THESE DOCUMENTS TO IPERMS.

B. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON UPDATING BOARD DOCUMENTS IN IPERMS REFER TO
HTTPS://WWW.HRC.ARMY.MIL/TAGD/...%20BOARD%20DOCUMENTS.
C. S-1/UNIT ADMINISTRATOR (UA)/MILITARY PERSONNEL DIVISION (MPD)/DIRECTOR OF HUMAN
RESOURCES (DHR)/MILITARY HUMAN RESOURCE (MIL HR) OFFICES AND CAREER BRANCH
MANAGERS WILL USE THE WEB UPLOAD FEATURE IN IPERMS TO SUBMIT AUTHORIZED AMHRR
DOCUMENT UPDATES, IAW AR 600-8-104. TO ACCESS THE AUTHORIZED DOCUMENTS LIST,
USE WWW.HRC.ARMY.MIL/SITE/ASSETS/P...QUIRED_DOCUMENTS.PDF. ALL
DOCUMENTS MUST INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME AND COMPLETE 9-DIGIT SOCIAL SECURITY
NUMBER (SSN).

G. FOR RESOLUTION OF DUPLICATE, INVERTED, MISFILED, OR MASKING DOCUMENTS IN YOUR
AMHRR, HAVE YOUR S-1/UA/MPD/DHR/MIL HR OFFICES OR CAREER BRANCH MANAGERS
SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST TO: USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.IPERMS-BOARD-SUPPORT@MAIL.MIL.
CORRECTLY, FILED AND AUTHORIZED DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE MASKED OR REMOVED.
H. FOR RESOLUTION OF DUPLICATE, INVERTED OR MISFILED EVALUATION REPORTS, SUBMIT
REQUEST TO USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-EVAL-APPEALS@MAIL.MIL.
I. ONLY THOSE ELIGIBLE OFFICERS FOR THESE BOARDS ARE AUTHORIZED ACCESS TO THE
MBF APPLICATION.
J. OFFICERS MUST REVIEW AND CERTIFY THEIR BOARD FILES ELECTRONICALLY THROUGH
MBF. TO ACCESS MBF, ELIGIBLE OFFICERS SHOULD GO TO THE HRC WEB-SITE AT
HTTPS://WWW.HRC.ARMY.MIL. CLICK ON SELF-SERVICE, AND THEN CLICK ON THE MBF ICON

8. THE POC FOR ADMINISTRATIVE AND PROCEDURAL PROMOTION CONSIDERATION MATTERS
IS OFFICER PROMOTIONS SECTION, (AHRC-PDV-PO), AT EITHER DSN 983-9009, COMMERCIAL
(502) 613-9009 OR E-MAIL ADDRESS AT: USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-AC-OFFICERPROMOTIONS@MAIL.MIL.
OFFICERS SHOULD DIRECT QUESTIONS CONCERNING ORB
CORRECTIONS TO THEIR S-1/UA/MPD/DHR/MIL HR OR THE APPROPRIATE CAREER BRANCH
MANAGERS, OR THE APPROPRIATE CAREER MANAGEMENT BRANCH. FOR OER/AER
PROCEDURAL MATTERS, THE POC IS EVALUATIONS BRANCH (POLICY), (AHRC-PDV-EP), OR THE E-MAIL ADDRESS AT
USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.TAGD-EVAL-POLICY@MAIL.MIL. FOR AMHRR/IPERMS INQUIRIES,
CONTACT THE ARMY SOLDIER RECORDS BRANCH, BOARD SUPPORT TEAM AT OR E-MAIL ADDRESS AT: USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.IPERMSBOARD-SUPPORT@MAIL.MIL.
HOWEVER, DO NOT SEND AMHRR UPDATE DOCUMENTS TO THIS
E-MAIL; FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES IN PARAGRAPH 6 ABOVE. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
REFER TO HTTPS://WWW.HRC.ARMY.MIL/TAGD/...%20BOARD%20DOCUMENTS.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post