Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight Gain After BCT
 Login/Join

posted
I am an Army reserve Split - op. I just got back from BCT about 2 weeks ago to finish my last year of high school. I weighed myself today, and I've gained alot of weight. I was just wondering if this is normal. I still wear the same size clothes, but I've gained like, 20 pounds. But I'm still the same size...I was just really worried about making the weight limit now, 'cuz I barely made it before. I went from 140 to 161.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
Some may say, go to the doctors and get yourself check for some metabolism thing.

Some may tell you to just run and run and run.

Some may tell you to stop eating "bad" foods.

This is what I'll say ...

Be honest with yourself. You may know what's going on. Are you eating too much junk? Are you just hanging around and getting lazy? Can you do something more? Can you do something more healthy?

Whatever it is, be honest with yourself.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks. But in all honesty, I haven't done anything that should have caused me to gain that much weight. Of course, I do eat foods now that I couldn't then, but not that much. Not anything that would cause me to gain weight. Not that much at any rate. The thing is, I still fit in all my clothes I wore before I even left. So is it possible that I gained muscle? Doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? And I'm still running and working out...So...I dunno what's up. I can always do more...

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
Muscle gain would not be that fast ... maybe your head swelled from going to basic? Big Grin j/k

Posts: 6763 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PowerTango
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you are 17 or 18 years old. Soldier, you are still growing. This the end of puberty for you and that is when males put on most of their muscle mass. You'll just have to be taped like the rest of us bigger guys.

http://www.nursingworld.org/mods/archive/mod4/ceah3.htm

In addition to increases in height, teens experience increases in weight. About 50% of adult ideal body weight is gained during puberty. Adolescent male weight gain primarily reflects an increase in lean body mass.

Posts: 79 | Location: Portsmouth, VA | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing GI_jenn is a female. If not, what's up with the name?

Picture of PowerTango
posted Hide Post
I noticed that after I wrote my reply too. Guess the I need to pay more attention to details.

Posts: 79 | Location: Portsmouth, VA | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As a female, I understand where you are coming from. When I was in BCT I gained about 20 pounds-but I was pretty solid.
What can you do? Watch the little things to be honest. Every soda, every candy bar makes a dif. If not in weight in your PT performance.
As long as you can pass your tape you should be ok, not sure how it works on split op.
You can have your BMI done at your local YMCA if that helps. I do mine a little before every weigh in/pt test.
When you eat "junk food", put a healthy side into indulging. Eat dark chocolate instead of milk or white, chips get the baked (and get a single serving so as not to be tempted to eat as much), if your an ice cream person stick to a basic flavor and watch the additives, or try fruit (fructose is a natural sugar). I had a buddy that lost weight replacing regular sugar for apple juice (fructose instead of glucose).
I would go have a BMI done then you will know if its just extra weight due to diet or what not then you can go from there.
Good Luck!

Posts: 2 | Location: WI | Registered: 19 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GI_jenn:
I am an Army reserve Split - op. I just got back from BCT about 2 weeks ago to finish my last year of high school. I weighed myself today, and I've gained alot of weight. I was just wondering if this is normal. I still wear the same size clothes, but I've gained like, 20 pounds. But I'm still the same size...I was just really worried about making the weight limit now, 'cuz I barely made it before. I went from 140 to 161.

If you was one of the females at high school who barely participated in any sports....it probably is muscle! I know before I had went to basic, I walked to the bus stop or the car...didn't once think about running. As for the upper body workouts such as push-ups, I was struggling to make just one. Thankfully the US Army expects a bit more out of a Recruitee when arriving at Basic! Wink After Basic I did notice that I had more definition on my legs and I could actually do push-ups with ease. I know that I must've gained some muscle because I could do what was expected of me physically!

Bottom line, if you wear the same clothes and have gained 20+ pounds...it's muscle. Don't let the weight bother you since it doesn't affect your clothes and your squeezing into them! Smiler

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. And like CAT said, I was in the same boat. Exactly the same. I couldn't do anything when I got there. And as time went by, things started getting easier and easier. And I never played any sports or anything...so...I'll take his word for it. Cuz like I said, I'm still wearing the same clothes and everything so....I'll try not to worry about it.

posted Hide Post
I'm just going to back up what CAT said. I was the girl who would fail gym in high school because I hated it so much. I was 119 when I went to BCT and 130 when I left, but still wore the same size. Just keep up the PT and eating right and you will have no problem.

My Photos: www.flickr.com/photos/thefrosty1
My blog (it's new and pretty and gets updated almost daily): www.gypsygentilli.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/gypsygentilli

Posts: 378 | Location: Barstow, CA | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post