New
Find
Notify
Tools

PT test & push ups
 Login/Join

Picture of FlGuardGirl
posted
When doing the push ups, do they have to be back to back like bam, bam bam? Or can you hold the leaning rest position for a couple seconds in between, like towards the end when you think you're about to die? LOL

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell HOOAH!!

Posts: 84 | Location: Florida | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There is nothing that says how close togehter the pushups must be. The reg only states that so long as you stay in the front leaning rest or modified front learning rest (sagging in the middle, or flexing your knees, but no to the extent that they are supporting most of your weight), you are fine. I generally knock out 30 at once, take a few second brake, and then do sets of 7 or 8.

Troy

CW3 Troy Ward
NETOPS OCT
Bronco 30E
National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA

Are you a signal warrant officer? http://www.signal-chief.com/

Posts: 609 | Location: National Training Center, Fort Irwin, CA | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FlGuardGirl
posted Hide Post
Ok cool. Because I can only do 20 then I start shakin' lol But if I can rest for a few, I can knock out some more. Thanks!

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell HOOAH!!

Posts: 84 | Location: Florida | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Jeep
posted Hide Post
FlGuardGirl,

When doing your push ups, when you rst you may be burning some of your energy, so don't do it all too often.

Everyone has their own way of doing pushups, but as you will learn, different types of pushups will work differen muscle groups. (close hand, regular, diamond, wide-arm)

Whe you do your pushups on the APFT your hands cannot leave the ground or mat. but, if you start to feel like you cannot go on, try to wiggle your hands out wider without them leaving the ground. This will allow you to focus your push-up efforts on different muscles and you may be able knock out a few more. Also, when you start to get tired doing that, wiggle them back closer.

This may help you knock out a few more, but it seems like you are getting to be pretty good at the push-ups alreayd if you are up to 20 +.

When you are practicing your push-ups and you absolutely cannot do anymore, drop to your knees and knock out some more. As you do more and more, you will start to increase the amount you do.

If you have not done so already, have the recruiters take a look at your form. I can knock out lots of push-ups if I use a crappy fom, but they won't count on the APFT.

Posts: 199 | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FlGuardGirl
posted Hide Post
Oh wow; didn't know about the hand wiggling. Thanks for that tip! Now during the test, you're not allowed to hit your knees are you? lol When my trainer is pushin' me past the 20, I go to my knees and he's cool with that lol But I don't want to get into that habit if it's not allowed on the PT test.

posted Hide Post
if you go to your knees during your PT test, it will terminate that event. Meaning, once your knees hit the ground, you're done doing push-ups.

So please make sure not to do that during the actual test.

Military Signature
Create your Profile at MyArmedForces.com

There is no task that is impossible, as long as you don't care who gets the credit.

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of FlGuardGirl
posted Hide Post
Roger that, Bradmeister. Thank you!

Picture of Liquidlunch1812
posted Hide Post
You should go ahead and try to do the entire PT test, all the events with the 10 min. rest imbetween each even that should get you ready

“If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading or do things worth writing.”
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 35 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 03 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Caffeine Addict
posted Hide Post
As I scan this post I have to agree with SSG Pyro. Knock out as many as possible your first minute then start moving the hands out as you get fatigued.

Using a chest press with some arm curls regularily helps out with pushups also.

Posts: 431 | Location: U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan (living it up in South Korea!) | Registered: 28 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Quartermaster922
posted Hide Post
during training going to your knees when you can't do anymore will help you out because you are able to knock out a few more, also try doing some slowly while counting to 5 on your way down and 5 on your way up. These help a lot too.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Posts: 300 | Location: Where all discharged soldiers go | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post