ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Getting in shape for BCT    Please critique this workout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please critique this workout
 Login/Join

posted
hello everyone! I'm 18 years old and I am a future soldier. My MOS is 11x and I have option 4 as well. I ship out on 20100714 and I need to get fit before I leave. What kind of PT scores will I achieve doing this workout 3 times a week?

Condition level: Beginner
Exercise type: High lactic acid threshold training
Commando Workout Goal: Fat loss, coordination, strength, and stamina
Commando Workout Duration: Three months, 3 times per week
Session length: 30-40 minutes
Commando Workout Atmosphere: Hardcore

Commando Workout Indoor routine warm up:

Quick 3-minute jog
Arm circles 30 seconds each way (forward and back) while hopping back and forth on toes.
20 squats
20 toe raises
20 jumping jacks
20 push ups

Stretches:

Chest
Lunge side
Lunge front
Low squat
Forward calf and hip flexor
Bent over lower back and hamstring
Cross body back and shoulder

Exercises and sequence:

Pushups continuous for one minute, hold the top position if you cannot continue.
Sit-ups continuous for one minute, hold the top position if you cannot continue.
Pushups 20 repetitions (reps)
Sit-ups 20 reps
Push ups 15 reps
Sit-ups 15 reps
Pushups 12 reps
Sit-ups 12 reps
Body weight (B.W.) squats 1 min
V-ups 30 seconds (sec) This is a sit up where both the lower and upper body come off the ground to meet at a point above your stomach.
Alternate forward lunges 1 minute (min)
V-ups 30 sec
Burpee’s 30 seconds From the standing position, squat down and shoot your legs back so that you are now in the push up position. From there pull your legs back in stand up and jump with your arms overhead.
Side to side lunge

Skip rope for one minute

B.W. squats 1 minute
V-ups 30 sec
Low position squat holds (5 second bottom holds) 1 minute
Mountain climbers 30 sec While in the push up position pull your legs in one at a time so that you are essentially running in the horizontal position if you go fast enough.
V-ups 30 sec
Side to side lunge 30 sec

Skip for one minute

Pushups 25
Arm circles 30 sec forward than back Keep thumbs pointing down.
Pushups 15
Arm circles 30 sec forward than back
Pushups 10
Arm circles 30 seconds forward and back

Skip one minute

V-ups 30 sec
Squat thrusts 30 seconds Almost like the mountain climber but while in the push up position both legs are pulled in and shot back at the same time.
Jumping jacks 1 min
V-ups 30 sec
Knees high jog 30 seconds
Butt kicks jog 30 seconds Running on the spot while kicking your own butt!
Side crunches 30 per side

Finishing ab routine

Hip rolls x20 Raising the hips and tailbone off the ground, a reverse crunch.
Crunches x20
Static hold bridges for 1 minute Basically a pushup position but you will be resting on your forearms instead of your hands, just hold it!
Repeat circuit 3 times with no rest.

Outdoor routine:

· Periods of light jogging followed by sprints (2minute jog, one minute sprint)
· Every 5 minutes break for push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks or lunges.
· Depending on location chins and bench dips are optional
· Total run time would be 30-40 minutes

any other words of advice?

thanks in advance!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thats cool but I would advice you to go to the following sites.

www.crossfit.com
www.rosstraining.com
www.militaryathlete.com
www.bodybuilding.com

You will get alot more feedback in regards to fitness...It's alot of Service Members who utilize these programs. I my self do a mix of crossfit and rosstraining.

And with my squad or Plt I like to do the military athlete program.

I don't see anything wrong with your program other then this...In military basic training...All of them you will do the following things..

Run, Pushups, Situps, Flutter Kicks, Mountain Climbers, Pullups, Chin ups, Ruck Marching. As an 11B your concentration should be on body weight movements and cardio...You will need to be able to go the distance but also carry your load.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
www.crossfit.com

Every other Army in the world utilizes Functional Fitness, its 2010 and the Army is now getting on board with TC3-22.20. Special Ops has been doing Crossfit for years.

"Sometimes the roots of democracy have to be watered with the blood of patriots"

Posts: 248 | Location: Ft Hood! | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
those are some cool sites but im focusing on bodyweight only thats why i chose this workout. Once I'm in I definately want ot get into crossfit and stuff but for now Im just trying to be able to pass the APFT with flying colors I was hoping this alone would get me into pretty good shape but I'm not sure.

posted Hide Post
I still suggest crossfit...however.

Go to military athlete.com and email ROB about the apft program and he will send you one.

But there are numerous threads on those sites we listed above that are about how to max the apft and improve and all of that...just check those sites out and go into the forums.

Posts: 625 | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OMG deadp: What a great question. I want to get in shape too, and I am going to go look at those sites as well. I had an injury affecting my fitness and these sites sound like the ticket. Good luck to you - you can do it!

Posts: 438 | Registered: 22 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thanks for your positivity GS girl lol. I actually have an injury as well. I have a cyst in my wrist that is preventing me from doing pushups. I'm going to get it drained soon so hopefully it will be good to go by the time i ship!

regarding the APFT workout from ROB, I noticed you have to be a member of gym or something on order to get it. ROB wont just email me the workout if I don't pay for this membership? also is that workout all bodyweight?

posted Hide Post
i think you need to push yourself more, i am 28 and i can do a lot more than 35 sit ups in 2 minutes. the 1.5 mile run is good do push ups 2..

==========
Kyle Leon

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 17 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post