ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Joining the Army, BCT and AIT  Hop To Forums  Getting in shape for BCT    Need to prepare physically for Basic Training
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to prepare physically for Basic Training
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking of enlisting, but am intimidated of the physical demands that are required for basic training. I am physically in-shape and go to the gym regularly but am only accustom to the stairmaster and weight machines. I have never been a runner & can barely run around the block at this point (please dont laugh)& need to start a program to prepare myself. I also can do 1 push up total. Seriously, I need a plan. I am capable just need guidance. Any advice?Thanks, Allison

Posts: 1 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Dreamstalker
posted Hide Post
With pushups the best way to improve on them is to do pushups. That might sound kind of stupid but if you are truly going to the gym now and using weights then it is just a matter of teaching your muscles how to do a push up. If you need start out by doing pushups from your knees. Then work your way to doing regular pushups. As far as running is concerned it is something that is learned. Anyone can run for a minute or 2 but it takes talent and practice to know how to pace yourself to be able to run distances. Here are a couple of links to websites of people that range in experienc in running from world class marathoners to people just like yourself. The experienced runners are always helpful and will give you a couple links of workout plans to help you get started.
http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi
http://runningforums.com/forum/index.php
http://forums.runnersworld.com/index.jspa
Now that first link if you do a search the have a program that is designed to help people prepare to run a 5K race in I think 5 weeks. It is geared for people that have never ran before. A 5K race is 3.1 miles which is over a mile longer than you have to run for your final test in basic training. If your biggest fear about enlisting then take from a recruiter. Do not worry about it and let your local recruiter help you get ready as well. It is our job to get you prepared for basic. Good luck and congrtulations on deciding to join the best Army in the world.

Posts: 330 | Location: Ft Campbell  | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
honestly, you are in enough shape to start Basic, they will do the rest. When I first joined, I was not even in shape ... I had never done any kind of exercise, and couldn't even run around half a block without stopping to rest.

(btw, my last PT run was 14:30, a personal best)

and like Dreamstalker said, the best way to get better at pushups is to do pushups, just like the best way to improve sit ups is doing situps; it's called muscle memory.

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're preparing for Basic, because when I went...I could barely do anything the first week...hell, I got my first charlie horse in basic! I was ssssso sore that Bengay was my new friend Wink

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
No more PT tests for me.. Big Grin

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Quartermaster922
posted Hide Post
I have a question, as some of you know I am trying to get nback in shape for the NG. I got out of active duty a little over a year ago and I slacked off :shock: Red Faceops: that's right i slacked off cam you imagine :shock: I looked at the running sites listed in this thread but I need something even more basic as far as plans. Can you guys help me out?

Posts: 300 | Location: Where all discharged soldiers go | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Epic Honor
posted Hide Post
Here's what I did: Go find a track to run on, start easy (like one lap) and then increase by one lap each time you go out. Run every other day and try to run the entire way.

Posts: 776 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
that might work thanks Big Grin

Posts: 300 | Location: Where all discharged soldiers go | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
also, for best results go outside and hit the pavement ... it will help you a lot more than a treadmill does.

I have a friend who is a marathon runner ... he always said that too, whatever type of surface you're going to be running on, that's what you practice on

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of /elsinore98
posted Hide Post
You may want to check out a book called 'The Beginning Runner's Handbook' by Ian MacNill and the Sport Medicine Council of British Columbia. I've found it very helpful to have a structured running plan.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
any idea wher I can pick one of those up or can you send me a copy of the plan?

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Picture of /elsinore98
posted Hide Post
The running plan for beginner's progresses along these lines (running alternating days):

Week 1 - run 30 sec, walk 4 min 30 sec. (do 7-8 times)
Week 2 - run 1 min, walk 4 min (do 8-9 times)
Week 3 - run 1 min 30 sec, walk 3 min 30 sec. (do 8-10 times)
Week 4 - run 2 min, walk 3 min (do 9-11 times)
Week 5 - run 2 min 30 sec, walk 2 min 30 sec (do 10-12 times)

They keep adding more run time mixed with less walking time, until you are finally only running. This has been working out well for someone like me that has had difficulty running...

Posts: 353 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
while i have been intreasted in the army forever . i can run a quarter mile at 1 . 14 which is a best after being sick . can anyone tell me anyway to get in fit for basic so i don't get surprized . so please send any ideas and thank you

Posts: 10 | Location: fort myers , florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
hello i have been intreasted in the army for a while . i am asking for anyway to be physicallly fit . can anyone tell me how to prepare without being suprized.

Posts: 10 | Location: fort myers , florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I will like to Thnk You first for having the courage to join the army and for your ditermination to improve .The best way to improve your PUSH UPS and SIT UPS is doing pyramids. example ( sart off with one push up rest for 30 sec. and do 2 push up up to 7 then go back down. Do this a week and add sets for your next week. This will develope muscle memory. Do the same for your sit ups.
.Now for the run, go to your nearest track and ran one lap as fast as you can and time your self.Rest and jog for one lap also time your self. Do this until you have completed 2 miles. keep a track time for all laps. give a day of break and do the same again and soon you will notice your time to drop. I have used this with my soldiers and its proven to work. And good luck

Posts: 5 | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post