ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Army National Guard  Hop To Forums  Missouri National Guard Discussion    traveling 200+ mile to drill
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

traveling 200+ mile to drill
 Login/Join

posted
I travel over 200 miles to drill. Are they suposed to get me a hotel or do I have to get one on my own? Also Should I get travel pay. I havnt gone to drill to ask yet but I just joined. Any help would be great.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of brianbaird
posted Hide Post
they will provide a hotel room, but no travel pay.

Army Reserve Career Counselor

Posts: 55 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah that is a lie. They said I can sleep in a cot in the armery. Good thing I joined for a year. I am out!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I think you can write it off on your taxes.

Talk to finance at your unit.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The Guard Warriors were second class citizens. I hope that has changed since 2008 - when homeless Guard veterans were living in the Armories, sleeping on cots, flying under the radar. They took care of each other when no one else would. I hope your Guard experience lives up to your expectations. Best wishes.

Posts: 438 | Registered: 22 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Being in the Guard is tough...there is only one Guard MP unit in the state of VIrginia and it was 4 hours from my home of record.

I worked as a waitress at the time and it was hard taking days off before and after drill because of the long drive.

I stayed with friends, hotels, or on Camp Pendalton near my unit when there was space available. I wish I knew now that I could have written it off...I didn't back then.

If you find out anything else, please post it here. More soldiers need access to that information.

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That would be great ASGAdmin and Guard: You are right - so many on here would appreciate the info. Love the Guard - Go Guard!

posted Hide Post
Wanted to add something - five Army Generals yesterday promised a thorough investigation into complaints that National Guard troops returning from Iraq got second class treatment at Joint Base Lewis-McChord to make way for the base's active duty brigades coming home from war this summer.

It's in this article http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/19 out of the newspaper in Tacoma, WA.

I could give you first hand info how in many circumstances the returning Guard is treated but I can't - I signed a confidential out of court agreement.

Guard is not Weekend Warriors - they are Warriors, period. I am not saying I know anything about treatment at Fort Lewis - I do not. My experiences were elsewhere.

Go Army!

posted Hide Post
Yeah well I am geting out of the army gaurd and joining the Air Gaurd. They provide hotels and meals free of charge. Go Air Force.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good going, SGT Krugee!

Go USA!