New
Find
Notify
Tools

42R Questions
 Login/Join

Picture of DirtyCharmed
posted
I'm going into the Guard and I want to join 42R as Soldier's Chorus. Does anyone know if I'd have to be an instrumental member of the Army Band as well? Because I really don't want to compete with the million other piano players for a slot so I can go into the Chorus.

My recruiter is out of the office for another week or two, so I figured I'd ask here and see if anybody knew. I guess they've got him on traveling circus duty lately! :-)

Posts: 6 | Location: Spokane, WA, USA | Registered: 22 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
Go active duty.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DirtyCharmed
posted Hide Post
And what exactly does that answer have to do with my question?

Obviously this board is of next to zero value when it comes to the Guard sections because it seems that the only responses give are 'Go Active Duty' and 'The guard sucks'. I don't WANT to go Active Duty. I have considered that option. I have no desire to move to freaking Maryland when I can drill LOCALLY and perform at functions for soldiers I KNOW.

I came here for help and answers to my questions and the sentence 'Go active duty' is neither helpful nor an answer to my question.

If someone would like to actually answer the question I asked, I would very much appreciate it. If not, that's ok, because I'll be going elsewhere for help, as it's becoming obvious that this isn't the place to get it. Unless, of course, I want to go to active duty.

Posts: 6 | Location: Spokane, WA, USA | Registered: 22 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirtyCharmed:
And what exactly does that answer have to do with my question?

Obviously this board is of next to zero value when it comes to the Guard sections because it seems that the only responses give are 'Go Active Duty' and 'The guard sucks'. I don't WANT to go Active Duty. I have considered that option. I have no desire to move to freaking Maryland when I can drill LOCALLY and perform at functions for soldiers I KNOW.

I came here for help and answers to my questions and the sentence 'Go active duty' is neither helpful nor an answer to my question.

If someone would like to actually answer the question I asked, I would very much appreciate it. If not, that's ok, because I'll be going elsewhere for help, as it's becoming obvious that this isn't the place to get it. Unless, of course, I want to go to active duty.

Maybe because we don't know the answer?
Better no answer than a wrong one, I would think. Wink

(And TransAm is always like that. Smiler )

Good luck with your musical career!!

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DirtyCharmed
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see no posts at all, if nobody has an answer, then have several posts with zero information so that people think my question has been answered and therefore someone who actually knows the answer doesn't come in to look.

Not knowing is more than acceptable. Giving junk information, because you don't know, is not.

posted Hide Post
I know that the Active Duty side of the house is very hard to get Army Band Candidate 42R9N. Which means with the Guard there are even potentially fewer possibilities. IF you get this MOS, EVEN if it is 6 months from now let this forum know. You will have to audition and I have not even seen the soldiers chorus Additional Skill Identifier. I really DO wish you the best of luck, but even if you are really good at what you do that program is so small I doubt you'll get it.

So let the forum know when you actually audition, make the cut, actually sign for the MOS, and actually are shipping for the MOS. I am not a dream-crusher. The last person I knew in Army Band had a Masters in Music and was naturally talented. There is some SERIOUS competition.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
I know that the Active Duty side of the house is very hard to get Army Band Candidate 42R9N. Which means with the Guard there are even potentially fewer possibilities.

That is entirely dependent on location. If the OP has found a local band, then it's simply a matter of auditioning and filling an open slot. If there is a Guard band locally, it is MUCH easier to get into it than on the AC side.

"What we see from our tower is for us to know and for you to find out."--The S-2

Posts: 599 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of DatAdminGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd rather see no posts at all, if nobody has an answer, then have several posts with zero information so that people think my question has been answered and therefore someone who actually knows the answer doesn't come in to look.

Not knowing is more than acceptable. Giving junk information, because you don't know, is not.

Then how about you Google or do the research on your own instead of being a smart ass about it? You're a rookie on this board, act accordingly.

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and the will to carry on."
- Walter Lippmann

Posts: 122 | Location: Ft Leavenworth (WOO HOO) | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DatAdminGuy:
Then how about you Google or do the research on your own instead of being a smart ass about it? You're a rookie on this board, act accordingly.

The OP isn't the one being a smartass. This information is not readily available on Google, and s/he IS doing the research (hint: this board would be a research tool.) Posts like yours and TransAm95's are unprofessional and inappropriate. It's sad that a rookie and non-soldier seems to know more of how to act than the two of you.

"What we see from our tower is for us to know and for you to find out."--The S-2

Posts: 599 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I smell what you are stepping in Intel, but on this one I will believe it when I see it (the soldier ships with this MOS). I would be surprised if the OP states further progress. But hell, on average I am wrong about 2X a week. Since I used up those times with arguments I lost with my wife this week then. I am gonna say I'm good to go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Corvette1140:
I smell what you are stepping in Intel, but on this one I will believe it when I see it (the soldier ships with this MOS). I would be surprised if the OP states further progress. But hell, on average I am wrong about 2X a week. Since I used up those times with arguments I lost with my wife this week then. I am gonna say I'm good to go.

You've only been married twice less than me, then...

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd rather see no posts at all,

Not your call. Wink Last I checked the interwebz were open to all.

Plus keep in mind you're asking on an "anonymous" chatboard- all you need is an email address to sign up. And hotmail/gmail/yahoo emails are easy to get without showing ID. I could be a 5yr old with a computer- so don't trust all the answers anyway. Big Grin

(AKO has chatboards where you can't delete posts, and it uses your AKO name, hint hint..)

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So Dirty Charmed how is that working out for you?

posted Hide Post
Hmm must not have even made it to audition.