Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over 40, Prior Service
 Login/Join

posted
I have 8yrs prior service in the USAF at E-4.

Starting the process a couple of months ago, very soon I'll be swearing in for 35M. At the last minute, the recruiters have informed me that I'll be going to BCT instead of the WTC.

What am I to expect at BCT? Are the recruiters giving the straight line about being quartered separately with other PS NCO types (E-4 Sgt was a Sgt when I was in...)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CSquared82
posted Hide Post
As we just heard this within the last few weeks, it is still new to us. I am telling my PS soldiers to expect BCT. No advantages, no exceptions, no seperation, just good ol BCT.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Posts: 89 | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSG Recruiter:
As we just heard this within the last few weeks, it is still new to us. I am telling my PS soldiers to expect BCT. No advantages, no exceptions, no seperation, just good ol BCT.
Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks for the tips. It'll be interesting; I have a business to run but can take a break. A little ability to be in contact daily would be nice, however.

I was supposed to "consult and swear in" today but with the usual MEPS efficiency, there was an additional DQ factor that should have been faxed down. So they signed-off the eye pressure and now need a hyperlipidemia waiver. (which could have been done by now.)

Hurry up and wait! hehe

posted Hide Post
^ what is your problem? then dont give stress cards in basic LOL.. GTFO

Posts: 244 | Location: ft hood | Registered: 25 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of sysalis
posted Hide Post
I don't even think francisshorinryu is in the military. He doesn't even know about BCT.

"The most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant with a map and a compass."
-Murphy's Law of Combat

Posts: 700 | Location: USAG-Daegu, South Korea | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
(@francisshorinryu)Who is this guy? Look, readyornot, take whatever francisshorinryu says and throw it out the window. There are no stress cards, in fact there never were. They were a trial program that was at limited BCT facilities and lasted all of a couple/few cycles some years ago.

But enough about that guy, you're the one who asked the question. I feel I have a fairly current perspective of BCT from an NCO point of view since I just went through the Army Reserve Drill Sgt school last year, so I'll try to answer any of your questions. WTC has been in the works for discontinuation for some time now, they just recently finalized and made it official. While it seems "last minute to you" things are constantly changing, you'll hear this a lot, but be flexible plan for worst case and if you get anything better, well then you made out pretty well, you can never be disappointed that way. I wouldn't blame the recruiter, though it would've been nice of him to give a heads up and say hey look,WTC just might get cancelled so just in case, prepare for BCT. Also, don't expect to have opportunities to be in contact with home or your business daily...likely not even weekly, and some places maybe not at all other than your couple/few calls home, though it depends on where you go and how strict your chain of command is. Some places allow you to get your cell phone out of your personal bag for very limited time once in a while, likely on a Sunday and likely not within the first few weeks, you'll have to earn it, and it can be taken away much quicker and easier than it was earned. Cadre won't care if you have a business to run, so save yourself and the company the headaches, @$$ chewings and corrective training by not bringing it up. Take a copy of all your medical documents, waivers, etc...with you when you ship. Have them accessible when you go through med inprocessing at reception just to be safe. Expect to be at reception for at minimum a week. There's no such thing as permanent party, or special treatment like being seperately quartered with other prior service. You'll be a SPC quartered with the rest of the new recruits treated the same as them. Don't let it be known that you're prior service Air Force, once you do it may just stick for the rest of the cycle, and in turn you'll stick out, and you don't want to do that.

Any other questions, just ask, I'll try to give an answer.

I'm sure a lot of this info is preaching to the choir, you're prior service, but I don't want to set you up for failure or a rude awakening.

Posts: 10 | Location: Munroe Falls, Oh | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yeah the Francis guy is just mad because he was prolly dishonorably discharged from the CORPS about a decade ago and still isn't allowed back into the military after several failed attempts to come back.....

Sorry Francis we still don't need ya!

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well I stand corrected Francis, I am sure you would draw a similar conclusion based on how bitter your previous posts were. Anyway here is the blunt on the whole "stress card" thing....its a myth. Yes it was a pilot program about a decade ago, but you never actually MEET a person who used a stress card. It is always a person who knew someone who was in a different company that had them. Recently though, not at all, just bad intell. If you get the chance to go 68 try the 68V school. It yields a degree and FULL civilian transfer, so best wishes.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"When you're telling these little stories, here's a good idea: have a point. It makes is so much more interesting for the listener."
-Steve Martin

Posts: 164 | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Readyornot:
I have 8yrs prior service in the USAF at E-4.

Starting the process a couple of months ago, very soon I'll be swearing in for 35M. At the last minute, the recruiters have informed me that I'll be going to BCT instead of the WTC.

What am I to expect at BCT? Are the recruiters giving the straight line about being quartered separately with other PS NCO types (E-4 Sgt was a Sgt when I was in...)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

no you will NOT be separated from regular first time trainees...when I went through basic we had a 30something year old prior service and he was treated just like us...this was before they started the whole WTC...

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by francisshorinryu:
The Army already plan to shutdown the WTC program long ago. As of Jan 1, 2011 WTC is close for prior service Navy/Airforce.

Do not tell me that the Army just woke up one day and decided to shutdown the WTC because they are not in the mood anymore.

Sometimes Army Recruiters play stupid (some are really stupid) and pretend like they didn't know.

When you get out of the Army and start working in the real world and start pulling that shit on
the civilian you will be in the world of shit for major lawsuit to yourself and your company.

Its called "Breech of Contract" and false information, bad habits you develop as an Army recruiter. You don't get immunity in the civilian world buddy.

There is Karma and the Army is Karma. Look at Iraq. I was in desert storm, 20 years had passed and the job is still not done. Afghanistan is in the limbo. Your kids or nephews will be going to Afghanistan 20 years from now and you will be pissed because a recruiter fooled them again.

Stop lying and maybe our mysterious One God will give us victory.

There is no lying involved, well at least for the most part, some recruiter DO LIE, but most dont. I know that there was rumors of WTC going away but without any official information, if we had a prior service that wanted to join we would tell him about WTC, and he was scheduled by MEPS (no recruiter involvement there buddy) to go to WTC...then the message came down that all prior service were going to be switching to basic instead of WTC...oh and there is no breach of contract b/c it is not a binding contract, that prior service can just back out like any other guy before going to basic, unless they signed up reserves, then they need to get discharged....

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well... They finally got everything done.

I see that the military hasn't changed - Hurry up and wait!

I swear in Tuesday and head to Fort Jackson on 18 April.

Running a couple of miles every day, we'll see if a 48 yr old can make it through.