Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting into Basic
 Login/Join

posted
Today I went all the way through MEPS, but unfortunately, when it came to picking out a date to leave for basic, nothing fit with my schooling. I want to do split training with the National Guard. Does it ever happen where someone will drop out and a slot opens up?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz,

Posts: 8 | Registered: 07 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
your schedule? you are joining the Army, you need to pick a job and ship date and make it happen, or dont join...either way I dont care...just stop wasting peoples time with your "schedule"

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
If I were your Recruiter, we'd have ourselves a little talk. You just burnt up endless hours of your Recruiters time. Taxpayers paid him to do the required paperwork and transport your happy ass to MEPS. They paid all the folks at MEPS to schedule and process you thru the ASVAB and physical. Let me guess, you even stayed in the hotel at taxpayer expense and ate supper too.

With all that time, effort and money spent, you figured the Army had to fit "your" schedule???? On top of all that, your Recruiter got his butt tore up by his boss because you wasted all these folks time.

You've definitely been "SMOKING CANINE FECAL MATTER". If I were your Recruiter, you'd be on your knees begging the Command Sergeant Major to join. I wouldn't give you the time of day. So many people laid off and unemployed, and you didn't want to join - because it didn't fit your schedule??? This isn't freakin' BURGER KING!!! You can't have it "YOUR WAY".

Give your sad ass some time to reflect on what I have said. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. That's my viewpoint on your sad, ridiculous, disrespectful situation.

Posts: 81 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Jeez, sorry People. My schedule is my education, not much I can do about that. I wish you would have just answered the question.

posted Hide Post
Also, that MEPS stuff is good for two years. That gives me some time to put the taxpayers money to use. Maybe you should stop roaming around writing your angry little letters on the internet and perhaps lay off the "SMOKING CANINE FECAL MATTER" yourself.

posted Hide Post
finish you school bro.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
finish your school then worry about the military

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Take it easy on him, guys. The kid is high school!

I called a recruiter and he said it was a possibility. Just keep in contact with your recruiter and make sure he checks for you.

Good luck!

Posts: 458 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 08 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
It seems you failed to put all the pertinent information out there. I see you've edited your post to reflect some of your current situation. Split Option? School? High school?

BUT - if you're a HS Senior or a graduate, the split option isn't available to you.

The manner that your first post was presented, really rubbed me the wrong way. My post was not to directly offend anyone, but to focus on the amount of effort, manpower and money spent for nothing. That seems like burning up ammo when you have no threat or target. Kinda like shooting at nothing in particular.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pathfinder1,

Posts: 81 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you're wrong there. I'm a sophomore in college, and I was going split option. You assumed my 'schedule' was something trivial like getting my hair done? Well the old saying stands, when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me. you cetainly came off as an ass here. Thank you for the apology.

posted Hide Post
And thank you Admin for looking into this, I'll keep my hopes up!

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
No, I'm not wrong. You "ASSumed" that I was wrong. You apparently don't even know what program you're looking at participating in. There are two different programs. I may be old, but I know what I'm talking about when it comes to the US Army and the programs or schools out there. I've been around the Army for 30 years. Read the difference in the programs, and learn a little from an old soldier:

Split-Option Enlistment
A second and very popular option for high school juniors is the Split Option Enlistment. As a junior in high school, you can enlist in the Army National Guard and not interrupt your high school education. You start by attending basic training the summer after your junior year. You will return home in time for school to begin your senior year in the fall. When you return, you will train one weekend per month with your local Army National Guard unit. The summer following your high school graduation, you will attend advanced individual training in the specialty you chose when you enlisted. In most cases, you will return in time to start college in the fall. If you are at least 17 years old, you can take advantage of the split option enlistment program.

College First
The Army National Guard College First program is a new enlistment option, which makes it possible to achieve your college goals while serving. This enlistment option provides qualified high school graduates and graduating seniors, with no prior military service, the opportunity to complete up to two years of full-time schooling, with no federal mobilization/deployment, while serving part-time in the Army National Guard.

posted Hide Post
Well this is what the MEPS guys and my recruiter refered to it as. Essentially it means the same thing, right? I was still going to do my basic this summer, and AIT the following summer.

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
Similar programs. But when you talk about apples and oranges, they are different in alot of ways. It doesn't matter any more, young'un. I could sit here and explain things to you until Hell freezes over. You would still not comprehend the differences or care. There is a whole lot about the Army that you won't understand until you've been there. I'll mark this up to your ignorance of the overall. I don't wish to continue back and forth, it seems so fruitless to continue.

posted Hide Post
You being word-picky is just causing all sorts of drama. Sorry if I'm not all up on the army lingo, I'm not in it, what do you expect. I had a simple question, and you blew up in my face.