Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Use of Personal Vehicle
 Login/Join

posted
My current duty station requires me to drive more than normal to get to places. We do PT on one base and on another. Also our BDE is on a separate base on the other side of the city. There is no shuttle to where I work so that is out of the question. I am trying to figure out if any of my excess travel is eligible for reimbursement. I have looked and can't seem to find the rules regarding this. It is also becoming a problem with being on time for some people in my unit due to traffic encountered during these back and forth commutes, especially since school has started back up. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

posted Hide Post
An issue similar to this came up in my unit about a year ago. This is what was cited, from Joint Federal Travel Regulation appendix O:
quote:
D. Lodging Overnight Not Required
1. Transportation
a. It is mandatory that a traveler arrange transportation through an available CTO, even though overnight
lodging is not required.
b. If travel is in the local area (JFTR, par. U3500/JTR, par. C2400-B) around the PDS, a GOV, public
transportation paid for by the command, or a POC may be used.
c. JFTR, par. U3320/JTR, par. C2192 for travel to/from a transportation terminal.
d. If a POC (Personally Owned Conveyance) is used to/from home, the traveler is authorized the standard mileage rate for the distance
driven, minus the normal distance driven to and from work. This most often affects the PDS.
e. If the traveler does not travel by POC to work every day, the traveler is reimbursed the standard mileage
rate for the distance driven, less the traveler’s normal transportation cost to get to work.
f. The AO determines reimbursement based on the difference between the cost of using the POC and the
traveler’s normal cost to get to work.
g. Commercial transportation expense reimbursement is authorized/approved only if the expenses incurred
for travel to the alternate work site exceed the expenses ordinarily incurred by the traveler to commute to
the PDS workplace.
h. A traveler is authorized reimbursement for other expenses such as tolls and parking when using a POC.
i. For distance determination JFTR, par. U2020/JTR, par. C1065 (DTOD requirements).

It was determined that as per the JFTR, a Soldier was entitled mileage compensation if they met the following criteria:

1- The distance traveled from their home to their secondary duty station (SDS) was further than the distance to their primary duty station (PDS).

2- The unit did not offer a GOV or shuttle to get them to their SDS.

3- The expense incurred to travel to the SDS was more than what it was to travel to the PDS.

If the unit offered transportation, but the Soldiers opted to take their POV, the Soldier was NOT entitled to compensation.

Since then, the command has been VERY strict on supervisors ordering their Joes to drive themselves to training events; even if they're done at the platoon or section level.

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Report This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35PSGT:
Since then, the command has been VERY strict on supervisors ordering their Joes to drive themselves to training events; even if they're done at the platoon or section level.

hehe Good!

When a Soldier arrives at their duty station, they pick where they are going to live based on where they are assigned to work.

If the Unit changes where the Soldier is working, then they should also comply with the above, or (not in the regulation Wink ) move the Soldier to the house/apartment of their choice... Big Grin

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I will have to research this further because 4 days a week we do PT on at a different base from where we work and if I can get reimbursed the gas I use to go to PT there just about everyday that would be great. Especially with gas prices the way they are, it adds up fast!

posted Hide Post
It was a big fight initially because we had a group that ended up being entitled to a substantial amount of backpay; which came from funds that had not taken such a thing in to consideration. Be ready for some potential pushback should you decide to press this.

What will end up happening is that the command will decide to change the location of PT.

Posts: 257 | Location: Ft Sam Houston | Registered: 27 October 2008Report This Post

Picture of sprat2
posted Hide Post
Or your unit will do what my last did and offer a gov. That was a bigger hassle than shelling out the gas money for the 60 mile round trip to work everyday.

Posts: 260 | Location: Macdill AFB | Registered: 21 April 2011Report This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
What duty station is this? When I was in Germany last year; everything was on different bases (On-base housing, work, PT location). If gas was an issue; you either car pooled or bike it to work.

If this is in the United States; which base is this?

I can tell you this. You are not getting reimbursed for gas. There always has to be one. SMH.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:
What duty station is this? When I was in Germany last year; everything was on different bases (On-base housing, work, PT location). If gas was an issue; you either car pooled or bike it to work.

I can tell you this. You are not getting reimbursed for gas. There always has to be one. SMH.

Simply because you did it does not mean it's right. Seems from a few posts of yours that i've read that you don't completely understand that.

posted Hide Post
I am stationed in what is now called Joint Base San Antonio which is Ft Sam Houston, Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB, and Camp Bullis. All are spread out and I know what you mean about pushback 35PSGT. I expect a lot of it, due to our entire unit basically being in the same situation. The problem here is that no one ever questions things and they just complain. I looked into the reg you posted and feel that the wording does support my view that we are entitled reimbursement. I will keep this thread updated with the progress. Also how far back did they go for the backpay?

posted Hide Post
They went back pretty far. The situation was that we had personnel who were working out of Lackland AFB, but who were routinely having to travel to Ft Sam to conduct admin business. I have a feeling that you and I are in the same brigade.

Talk to the RMO about this, as well; as they can better advise you on what authority you are entitled to mileage compensation.

posted Hide Post
I did a little bit more digging and I found this:

quote:
PART L: LOCAL TRAVEL IN AND AROUND PDS/TDY LOCATION
U2800 GENERAL
A. Authority. Service-designated officials may authorize/approve transportation expense reimbursement incurred
by a traveler conducting official business in the PDS/TDY local area.
B. Local Area. The local area is the area:
1. Classification. The local area is:
a. Within the PDS/TDY limits and the metropolitan area around the PDS/TDY area served by local public
transit systems;
b. Within a local commuting area of the PDS/TDY station determined by the AO/local Service in a written
directive. An arbitrary distance radius must not be established to define a local commuting area (59
Comp. Gen. 397 (1980); or
c. Separate cities, towns, or installations adjacent/close to each other, between which the commuting public
travels during normal business hours on a daily basis.

To sum it up, it essentially says that you'll only be compensated if you are ordered to take your POV to any location OTHER THAN your NORMAL place of duty. So, because your normal location for PT is location A, and your normal location for mission is location B, those are both considered your PDS. If you are then ordered to travel to location C, which is a duty location that is OUT OF THE NORM for you, like say to Fort Sam, or Camp Bullis, then you would be entitled to compensation if the unit did not provide a shuttle or a GOV.

posted Hide Post
The only problem is the line:

quote:
A. Authority. Service-designated officials may authorize/approve transportation expense reimbursement incurred

It is that whole "may authorize/approve", and then:

quote:
b. Within a local commuting area of the PDS/TDY station determined by the AO/local Service in a written
directive. An arbitrary distance radius must not be established to define a local commuting area (59

There needs to be a directive/policy about local commuting area for your post/command/unit. (AO is Approving Official)

Most of the pushback will be when the unit realizes they have to use their unit funds to reimburse soldiers IFit is reimburseable. Be careful of the words "may" and "can" in regulations since they are either optional or depend on other supporting information, documentation, situations, etc.... Regulations might be printed in black and white, but many times it is grey because they cannot cover every single scenario.

I am the administrator for DTS/TDY for 3rd Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard).... Ever try to explain travel regulations to an 11B PFC or even SGM... trust me you do not want to try...

Posts: 178 | Location: Fort Myer, VA | Registered: 21 February 2012Report This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eyesinthesky:
quote:
Originally posted by TheWiseChief:

Simply because you did it does not mean it's right. Seems from a few posts of yours that i've read that you don't completely understand that.

Trust me, people made the same gripes like the OP and it was quickly squashed. You sound like someone that likes to question every damn issue and tell people to look for a loophole. Sorry to say but an online barracks lawyer is not required on this forum to ruffle unnecessary feathers.

BTW, If you are so anti-establishment, why don't you just see yourself out the door? That is what I get from your posts.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rydin5pinna5:
I am stationed in what is now called Joint Base San Antonio which is Ft Sam Houston, Lackland AFB, Randolph AFB, and Camp Bullis. All are spread out and I know what you mean about pushback 35PSGT. I expect a lot of it, due to our entire unit basically being in the same situation. The problem here is that no one ever questions things and they just complain. I looked into the reg you posted and feel that the wording does support my view that we are entitled reimbursement. I will keep this thread updated with the progress. Also how far back did they go for the backpay?

Hey, high-speed! Do you know what the IG is for? To interpret the regs. If you are so worrisome about this issue; then take it up with the IG and you will get your answer ASAP. It is that simple.

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 35PSGT:
I did a little bit more digging and I found this:

quote:
PART L: LOCAL TRAVEL IN AND AROUND PDS/TDY LOCATION
U2800 GENERAL
B. Local Area. The local area is the area:
1. Classification. The local area is:
a. Within the PDS/TDY limits and the metropolitan area around the PDS/TDY area served by local public
transit systems;
c. Separate cities, towns, or installations adjacent/close to each other, between which the commuting public
travels during normal business hours on a daily basis.

To sum it up, it essentially says that you'll only be compensated if you are ordered to take your POV to any location OTHER THAN your NORMAL place of duty. So, because your normal location for PT is location A, and your normal location for mission is location B, those are both considered your PDS. If you are then ordered to travel to location C, which is a duty location that is OUT OF THE NORM for you, like say to Fort Sam, or Camp Bullis, then you would be entitled to compensation if the unit did not provide a shuttle or a GOV.

The key word in A. Authority is MAY. Does not say it WILL.