ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  Support for Troops and Families    Recently devorced, BAH with dependents question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recently devorced, BAH with dependents question.
 Login/Join

posted
My divorce is finalised today, is there a way I can continue to get BAH with dependents? Will the army find out that I've been divorced and take back what they've given for BAH?

I ETS in 12 months, would I have to prove that I'm still married to that person when I start ACAP or process out?

I know it sounds shady but I've seen a few people do it in the Army (get BAH with dependents without dependents present.)

Posts: 72 | Location: Fort Kouch. | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
If you have children with your former spouse, you still rate it but if not; then it falls under fraud, waste and abuse. When you became divorce, you should have provided your divorce decree to your S1 and finance.

Do the right and honorable thing.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hope you have at least 51% custody.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the guidance. I'll inform my chain of command asap. And I have no kids. So I'm probably heading back to the barracks. Oh well.

Posts: 72 | Location: Fort Kouch. | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Considering the belt tightening that the Army is doing now days they would find out before you ETS and then take it all back.

Posts: 392 | Registered: 17 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Check your installation housing policies. I was authorized at the w/o rate due to an exception.

They will catch it at out processing.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of CrisTama
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that if someone will "rat you out" CID will be on your ass and you will not ETS out until the investigation is over...is not worth the trouble and a criminal record for the rest of your life.

If you are already in a contract with your house, your commander might grant you an excepton to policy until the end of your contract, but it will be w/o depndent rate.

Posts: 665 | Location: All over the world | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
UPDATE!

I'm in the process of ETSing. Went to finance last Friday and found out that I owe the $11,000 back in BAH!

I have saved the difference between w/dependants and without. Thats not what is screwing me.

I recieved an exception to policy letter stating I can get BAH without dependants, it was dated on OCT14. However, my divorce was finalized in MAY14 and they are trying to get ALL of the BAH between those dates.

I did what you guys suggested and brought it to my COC and I'm still getting screwed.

I'm trying to get this gaggle fuck fixed by getting the ECP letter modified to reflect my divorce date.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Picture of TheWiseChief
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROCKTAVIAN:
My divorce is finalised today, is there a way I can continue to get BAH with dependents? Will the army find out that I've been divorced and take back what they've given for BAH?

I ETS in 12 months, would I have to prove that I'm still married to that person when I start ACAP or process out?

I know it sounds shady but I've seen a few people do it in the Army (get BAH with dependents without dependents present.)

I think you know the answer based on your first post.

When you got divorced in May 2014, did you take your divorce decree to S1 and then finance would change your BAH rate?

I will have all those LES in your possession, have your divorce decree and your ETP letter and go to JAG. See what they tell you.

Posts: 1902 | Registered: 04 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Of course they are going to take it all back. Your Exception did not cover you from the time you were divorced to the time your exception was approved.

As soon as you became divorced you were no longer authorized the BAH until the Exception came effective in October. So those months you were pulling BAH when you were not allowed.

You are not being "screwed over". You tried to screw the system and now you have to pay for it. This is why it pays to be up front and not try to do shady shit.

Posts: 103 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 30 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post