ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Field Artillery    13B Cannon Crewmember?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

13B Cannon Crewmember?
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody have any information about the 13B Cannon Crewmember other than what is stated on goarmy.com? What is the typical day for them?

Posts: 31 | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm a medic in an Artillery Batt. Basically all you will do is shamout and polish your pretty gun and clean your rifle. When you go to the field, you move a fair amount. As a crewmember you'll run crewdrills and practice- just do me a favor and remember the powder if you shoot a 198 okay?

Posts: 20 | Location: Ft. Bragg | Registered: 02 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ok, will do. Thanks for the info. What will happen if I don't use powder?

posted Hide Post
Field Artillery has had a long and glorious history, however it is evolving to meet the needs of today's battlefield. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the need for "cannons" is diminishing. Now the military would rather send a rocket to do the same job, the rocket is more precise and in the end more economical.

If you have'nt chosen an MOS yet, consiter choosing something that will give you skills to accel in the civillian world in case you decide that the military isn't for you. Don't let the recriuter tell you that he can't get you that job, hold out for what you want.

A cannon "crew" or "section" is made up of about seven people. A "section chief" (nco) and joes at its lowest level. One man sights in the target and the rest perform jobs ranging from loading the round, the powder or "charge" to firing the weapon. The powder is what sends the round down range, no powder-no boom. It sounds silly, but I've seen it done on more than one occasion, the crew gets ahead of it'self and tries to fire before the powder is loaded.

Again though, in garrison you will mainly perform maintanence on gear. Ther is lot's of idle time.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ft. Bragg | Registered: 02 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do you know anything about 13M MLRS than? Is this MOS like 13B but launches rockets?

posted Hide Post
I'm in the Army delayed entry program. My MOS is 13B. i admit, cannons seem a bit 19th century to me, so i was wondering how i would go about changing my MOS later on. Also i would like to go to paratrooper school. would this happen before or after AIT?

Posts: 13 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Buddy you're looking at a glorious life of hard work. I hope you can take a large amount of physical labor, and you are strong, you gotta be strong. Both mentally and physically.

I just recently reclassed from 13F so I know what the 13B's do. Lemme tell ya, down time is a myth. They were always doing crew drills or some sort of training.

As for Spyder, your basic and AIT are OSUT, one-station-unit=training. Which menas that they are integrated. After that, if it's in your contract or you managed to finagle it while you were in basic, will be Airborne school. Give me a holar when you get close to graduating Airborne and I'll try to get you hooked up with a good unit in the 82nd, cause that's where you are going.

Great choice of career paths gentlemen. Stand tall and be proud, you will soon be a member of the most deadly fighting force on the planet, The King Of Battle!!!

Posts: 48 | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
my contract did not garuntee airborne, just a 13 week OSUT. how would i go about getting into paratrooper school?

Posts: 13 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you SSG L for the information. Hopefully I will get Airbourne in my contract.

posted Hide Post
Bug the living #%^# out of your drills to let you work up an ABN packet. I have an idea they will probably ask for volunteers anyway.

One thing to remember though. If you do volunteer, make sure that you are the MOST motivated mull-fracky in the business. Otherwise they might write you off as a gung-ho chairborne ranger, in which case your paperwork might not make it soon enough before you hit your first duty station.

End result is that if you don't make it to airborne school prior to your first duty station, you will probably not make it there for a while. So work your hiney off at getting it now. Hell you might be able to get a jump start on it now, call your recruiter and ask.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
13m is a tracked vehicle three man crew unless you liked being couped up in close quarters with 2 other men then choose a different MOS
I

Posts: 24 | Location: Camp Stanley | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SSG DAN
posted Hide Post
I am a 13B im stationed at fort polk, la its not the greatest place either. You do have fun being in artillary. In artillary you are always going to look the best as far as your apparence, knowledge, and performance. We do alot of training, even if we dont have nothin planned out for the day we will pull out a dash 10 or 650 which has all kinds of info on artillary and we will do quizes on each other. The field problems are fun you have competitions on how fast you shoot and how fast you can implace a cannon. You have 3 types of cannons the smallest is the 119 this one is mostly used in airassult and airborne units the rounds are 105mm. The second cannon is a 198 you will do alot of labor work on this one because it is bigger than the other and there is alot of lifting and digging the rounds on this one is 155mm they way between 100 pds and 120. The 3rd cannon is a paladen Im not sure if i spelled that right this one shoots the same round as the 198 but this one is shot from what looks like a tank but it isnt, we call these cadillacs. I have been a 13B for 3 years and i just re-enlisted for 4 more years as the same thing.

Posts: 45 | Location: FORT BRAGG, NC 82ND | Registered: 03 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am a 13B and I just graduated yesterday from OSUT at Fort Sill. That is why I haven't posted in about 4 months....never went on pass until the night before graduation.
13B is a cakewalk compared to the stuff the Deltas and Foxes had to do. In AIT, all we did was punch tubes and clean howitzers in the moter pool. In redleg challenge, we did live fire. To me, the only part I hate doing in setting up the position and march orders. I'm not too fond of doing advanced party either.
But yeah, I graduated yesterday, and I am now home for Christmas.
Feels great

[b:d2dcbd5e3f]gimme a hoo-ah for Bravo Battery 1/40 from Fort Sill[/b:d2dcbd5e3f]

Picture of ForwardObserver
posted Hide Post
This coming from a 13F who has worked with the guns. It is hard work. I have been down on the line humpin rounds with the crew, it is hard work. Takes a lot of strength, determination, and attention to detail. With "forgetting the powder", that is not cool. I was on an OP (Observation Point) registering the guns, and cannon crew didn't load the correct charge. The Guns were firing almost directly from behind us to right in front of us, Angle T was only 0020 mils. I will never forget having a 155mm HE round land 300 meters away. Not cool at all. I can only imagine what the Iraqi's felt when they landed 3 meters away. Big Grin

BTW, quick info. In artillery, a circle is divided up into 6,400 parts, called mils. This is more than the standard 360 degrees in a circle. We use mils because it is more accurate. Also, Angle T is the measure of the smallest interrior angle formed by the Gun Target Line (the line from the guns to, through, and beyond the target) and the Observer Target Line (line from the Observer of the rounds to, through, and beyond the target).

Posts: 121 | Location: Fort Hood | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post