ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Health Services    Wear of ID tags while treating patients
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wear of ID tags while treating patients
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know if there are rules, other than AR 670-1, about wearing ID tags in scrubs and/or while treating patients?

Posts: 5 | Location: West Point | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
[quote:f515a184b5="ArmyDoc"]Does anyone know if there are rules, other than AR 670-1, about wearing ID tags in scrubs and/or while treating patients?[/quote:f515a184b5]

I don't think there is any reg saying that you cannot wear your tags with scrubs or while treating patients. As a flight medic I have to have my ID tags on while I fly, so can't very well take them off after we land to treat my patient, just to put them back on before the bird takes off again. Also while deployed I've treated a number of patients and have worn my tags 24 hours a day while in theatre.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ft. Carson, CO | Registered: 23 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am stationed in CONUS, and by regs ID tags are not required except while on aircraft. So, that covers your flight status, but we were told to start wearing them locally. I was hoping their was a way around this new directive. I do not mind wearing them to work, let's say, but they are a pain under scrubs.
Oh well. Just a shot.
Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: West Point | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The CoS said he wanted everyone wearing them. It was in a letter put out late last year. So it's policy now, not regulation.

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Scrubs are your duty uniform. You must Identify yourself in uniform on duty. Safety does come first. Most MEDDAC's require ID tags, or an alternate form of ID, like tape with name, position and rank. You should check the SOP for location. Patients have the right to know who is treating them.

Posts: 5 | Location: DC | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"Warrior Care" must be confused. I am not talking about NOT wearing some form of ID! Of course patients have a right to know who is treatin g them! I have worn a nametag with my name and rank since I have been in the Army for 14 years.
I mean the little tags that go on a chain and are worn around the neck. I doubt many patients are going to reach down my shirt, pull those out and read my name.
The whole reason I bring it up, is that a senior officer went around our clinic, dropping people for push-ups, if they were not wearing dogtags. A claim was made that our higher cmd had sent out the word that we should start to wear them. That is fine, but no one else was told this, until this officer went around telling people of this new policy and then dropping them, if they did not have the tags on. In other words, there was no warning of the change, until it was too late. Headgames, in my opinion.
Now, if the CoS has come out with the word that we all need to where them, then it is a moot point.
Thanks

Picture of DS2000
posted Hide Post
Actually Army Doc, it was SMA Tilley and it was before September 11th. It was sent out on an e-mail to all of the BDE Level and above CSMs. The only reason I laid eyes on it was cause I was working in the command Group for the DISCOM at the time.

It has recently become more of an issue and therefore the leadership has been bringing it BACK to the forefront.

DS2000

Posts: 136 | Location: Baumholder, Germany | Registered: 01 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks
On another topic, what is your opinion of this senior officer taking the actions I mentioned in my last post? Do you think this is a morale booster (tongue in cheek)?

posted Hide Post
Well if the new reg says you have to wear them...does it specify "around the neck" ? I never wear mine around my neck (turns me green) they are always looped through a belt loop on my pants...maybe you can find a way to have them on at all times, but now arounf your neck where they are a pain in the a$$ in scrubs.

Posts: 32 | Location: Heidelberg Germany | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
Carolyn3723,

This last post was from Feb 2005. Big Grin lol

ArmyDoc, I dont think its the most productive way of leadership at all. A senior officer needs to be checking his/her email and sitting in the cheap seats, and leave that kinda work to the senior nco's to worry about. But hey whatever, im just a SSG, with my 2 cents. However if they outranked me, then I'd just get down and start knocking em out. "hooah sir" Pushups never been a thing to me, and I have not see a soldier "dropped" on the floor ever. But hey, it's free pt, right. I am usually good for 80-90 before I have to take my first break anyhow. Eventually I'm sure he has to go check his email or go brief the commander on something. And not to mention more importantly, It would behoove him to let me get back to taking care of the PATIENT, which is what we are all there for.

SSG MaleNurse
LPN
U.S. Army Burn ICU

Posts: 548 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaleNurse:
Carolyn3723,

This last post was from Feb 2005. Big Grin lol

SSG MaleNurse
LPN
U.S. Army Burn ICU

You just keep getting on my about adding to old posts...well I am new here (see my registered date?) so they are all new to me...and I am not one to leave my comments and opinions to myself.

Wink

Posts: 32 | Location: Heidelberg Germany | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Carolyn,
Reference AR 670-1 for use and wear of ID Tags. If I remember correctly you must wear them around your neck How would anyone treating you know your tags are on your belt loop if you're passed out and need a blood transfusion or have allergies to something they're going to give you emergently? It's in your best interest they know where your tags are, hence the reg. I've seen people use the little clear plastic/rubber tubes to keep the metal from contacting their skin, also I've seen the gutted 550 cord used for the same effect.
Not sure how wearing them under scrubs is any different from wearing them under your uniform, if it is I would recommend wearing an undershirt to emulate the ACU effect.

Posts: 86 | Location: Camp Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 04 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post