Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dental
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, I've seen a lot of people in uniform walking around with braces, how exactly are you to go about getting them. The dentist here says only if it's critical that you need them you get them, but are there that many critical people walking around or what? I think I need them, but according to the dentist here, I can't get them... help!

Posts: 21 | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've had two Soldiers here that had braces done by the military. I think they got them as "elective" to give the dentists practice. Just like those Doctors giving breast surgerys now when they can fit them into the schedules. :shock:

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
when I was at Bragg, I was told I need braces because my upper left teeth go behind my lower left teeth, instead of slightly overlapping (which they are apparantly supposed to do), but I was given the option because it was a two year program and I was PCSing to Korea in 14 months. I elected to wait.

Went to Hood after Korea, asked the dentist about it. He asked "Does it bother you when you eat?" No, it doesn't. He then told me it was up to me, because it would be cosmetic only since it doesn't interfere.

I chose not to.

It all depends on where you are. If you can, ask for another dentist to look at you. Couldn't hurt.

Posts: 941 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Now that i'm thinking about it...when I got my wisdom teeth removed the guy wanted me to schedule to some sort of cosmetic jaw surgery but I told them no. My wife had her whole upper jaw removed and moved forward about 1/4 inch...all elective stuff they did for free.

Posts: 936 | Location: web surfing hell | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Epic Honor
posted Hide Post
[quote:ee912b9511="NASCAR#17"]whole upper jaw removed and moved forward about 1/4 inch.[/quote:ee912b9511]

OUCH!!! :shock: My mouth feels wierd just thinking about this... Red Face

Posts: 776 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
You should see her old x-rays...you'd think they had to rebuild her whole head with all the screws and wire that's still in there. :shock:

posted Hide Post
Here's the thing. I had braces when I was younger (about 8 years ago) and I never got a retainer. Well, my bottom teeth are very crowded and sometimes when I eat, my bottom teeth shift and it's quite uncomfortable. I don't know, though. I really don't want to pay for this out of pocket....... :roll:

Posts: 21 | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Complain that it hurts\uncomfortable to eat or sleep and it's affecting your work....that usually gets them going. It may take more than one complaint trip though. Don't give up.

posted Hide Post
I am an Army Periodontist, so I will hopefully set the record straight.
Getting braces has nothing to do with a 'critical' position. At most posts, braces are only done on patients that will also need orthognathic surgery; surgery where the jaw bones are realigned by an Oral Surgeon. These are often done where there is an Oral Surgery Residency, or at posts, such as here at West Point. Here, the cadets get more consideration to have braces.
And, yes, there are times when an Orhtodontist will choose non-surgical case, because it will benefit the patient.
Most, if not all, orthodntics in the Army's view is elective. By regs, ortho can be refused, unless a patient has trouble functioning normally. In that case, a person is also usually kept from enlisting in the Army, in the first place. Kind of a catch-22.
I hope this helps.

Posts: 5 | Location: West Point | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of n3st3r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Epic Honor:
[quote:ee912b9511="NASCAR#17"]whole upper jaw removed and moved forward about 1/4 inch.[/quote:ee912b9511]

OUCH!!! :shock: My mouth feels wierd just thinking about this... Red Face

It is pretty common surgery honestly, do it a lot.

"Standards, No Compromise"

Posts: 18 | Location: Ft. Carson | Registered: 15 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of n3st3r
posted Hide Post
Also to add too that, braces with your unit is something that you usually have to do yourself if your unit's mission allows. special circumstances play into the role where you are allowed to have them but to find an Army orthodontist at most posts is not possible, as the Army does not usually assign them to the majority of the dental clinics.

"Standards, No Compromise"

Posts: 18 | Location: Ft. Carson | Registered: 15 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
8 year old thread! Nice!

Posts: 259 | Registered: 23 December 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It benefits a Soldiers well-being....so what if its 10 yrs old?

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post