New
Find
Notify
Tools

ReClass To 68V
 Login/Join

Picture of rwest
posted
I am going to 68V school in Dec and was hoping to get some heeads up. How is the school, I know that it is 9 months long but other then that and whats on Fort Sams website I do not know much. Also how is the MOS after school wht is a normal day, deployment, unit like.
Thanks

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So I am going in Aug 2010, how is the school going?

Posts: 2607 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
hey corvette what were the steps to get that job.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 13 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Be a SGT NON-Promotable or below. I had to give up (P) status to get it, which was a bitch. Seriously, it took about a month and a half for the paperwork to go through. Have Chemistry, Algebra, and English with at least a C or higher. Wait, and Wait, and wait some more until training becomes available, only about 1 or 2 classes a year. Keep your Career Counselor in the loop, and keep good rapport with them. 51C is an awesome MOS to consider as well.

posted Hide Post
My husband is re-classing to 68V. Where do 68V get stationed after AIT?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 16 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Any duty station that has a hospital, or a Combat Support Hospital.

Posts: 192 | Location: JBLM, WA | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are NO slots for Ft. Drum ever thank GOD. Usually only major hospitals.

Picture of SGTMoslak
posted Hide Post
I'm reclassing in JAN 2012. Since this is a PCS move do we get to live in housing if we are married and have a child?

Posts: 14 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Hi SGT Moslak,
My name is Mr. Oscar Lopez and I'm an instructor at the Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program (previously known as the 68V Course). I'm glad to know that you're coming to our program in Jan '12. I don't know if you're aware of all the changes that have occurred recently. Do you have your college English I (Composition) and Humanities classes? They are prerequisites for this program. You will be taking 3 college courses as soon as you arrive and they will be taught by faculty from Thomas Edison State College. This, along with our RT classes, will result in you receiving an associates in applied science degree when you graduate. Pretty neat, huh? We will also pay for your national credentialling exam before you leave Ft Sam. All we ask in return is that you apply yourself, study hard, and pass all our exams.

As for your original question, we have students residing in housing. As long as housing is available, you can sign up fo post housing. The best thing to do is to contact them. The website has all the information you need. It's http://www.lincolnmilitary.com.../fort_sam/moving.cfm
Their phone number is (210) 270-7638.
If you think of anything else, just ask.

Posts: 51 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Wheeler68K
posted Hide Post
@SGT Moslak, I reclassed to 68K in 2009 and Ft. Sam housing gave me hell and wouldn't even put me on the list. They ended up referring me off-post. I wound up in the ghetto (2929 Rigsby Ave) and my family didn't feel safe. Don't do what I did. If they don't want to put you on the list, speak with someone in charge and insist that they house you.

My orders, of course, said Dependents: YES.

Posts: 26 | Location: Hohenfels, Germany | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGTMoslak
posted Hide Post
OK...so now my question is this...what if my hubby doesn't get back from deployment til mid January and I would like to keep my daughter with him so I have time to study and actually invest my time in this? I wouldn't mind living in the barracks BUT BAH is important when it comes to bills and stuff so it is a must. I would rather live in the barracks since it is right there. I will get the BAH no matter what due to me being the higher ranking member which I have called the finance down there to verify with them. They even admited my situation is very unique. I think they said it is up to my command on whether or not they will let me stay in the barracks while getting BAH. I would just rather take my time in finding a nice community for my family when/if he PSCs down here. I don't want just 10 days to find one. I'm extremely picky. Any good places right off post? Also does anyone know of any good Catholic schools nearby my daughter can attend?

Posts: 14 | Location: Fort Riley, KS | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
What happens if you already have most of the college credits required for 68V?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Oscar Lopez
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

There has been a change in the educational pre-requisites for the Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program (68V). Thomas Edison State College will now accept a general education course in lieu of the Humanities course.

Examples are:

Humanities
Art
Communications
Dance
Film
Foreign Language
Journalism
Literature
Music
Philosophy
Photography
Radio & Television
Religion
Speech
Theater Arts
Writing (advanced)

Social Sciences
Anthropology
Archaeology
Cultural Geography
Economics
History
Labor Studies
Political Science
Psychology
Sociology

Natural Science / Mathematics
Astronomy
Biology
Chemistry
Computer Sciences* * not to include Data Processing or Computer Literacy
Environmental Science
Geology
Mathematics
Meteorology
Oceanography
Physical Geology
Physics

English Comp I with a "C" or better from a regionally accredited college is still required.

Any questions, please ask.

Oscar Lopez-Martinez MAEd, RRT, CPFT
Director of Clinical Education
Interservice Respiratory Therapy Program
Medical Education & Training Campus
Fort Sam Houston, TX
oscar.lopez-martinez.civ@mail.mil
Office: (210) 808-3781
Fax: (210) 808-3771

Posts: 51 | Location: Fort Sam Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Mr. Lopez,

I need some advice. I would like to Re class to 68V. I am currently a 68W serving in Korea. My DEROS is JUN 2015. My ETS is OCT 2015. I am command sponsored and have been in Korea since Jun 0f 2013. I have 112 college credits. I am a CPL (P) with 4 yrs in service. I have been promotable for 16 months. I have read that because I have been promotable for over a year in the same MOS I can use the STAR program to change to 68V. Jun of 14 will be one year in my unit, and I will have served 1 of my 2 years of command sponsorship. Can I apply for the school now and secure a slot for a class in the future? If so how long out and what is the process? I lost this MOS before when it fell off the star MOS because my retention NCO did not complete my packet and I ended up re enlisting as a 68W and coming to Korea, to only see it come back on after a couple months. I do not want to miss this opportunity again. Is there any way I can get a class seat, fulfill my time here, and PCS straight to the schoolhouse?

Posts: 1 | Location: Camp Jackson, Korea | Registered: 05 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I just reclassed to 68v. I will be attending the school in May. I'm an E-5 and was wondering if as a permanent party student, can I live off-post with my family? My orders have my family listed on my orders. Just wanted to make sure because I've been getting some questionable info and I've had issues contacting housing and the school.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post