ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  CONUS Assignments    PCS orders stabilization
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCS orders stabilization
 Login/Join

posted
Last month I was came up on assignment instruction to pcs to fort riley in April, Im at Fort Sill right now. Last week I was given a letter stating that I had insufficeint time remining in service to fullfil the orders. I was told I would have to wait till m levy briefing to find out what is going on. I want to stay here because our son is in 10th grade, I asked branch this morning about doing a stabilization for high school students and havent heard back from them yet. Has anyone been stabilized, if so how long did it take. My 1sgt told me to sign a dec statement, but my ets date is january 2013, but my retirement date isnt until sep 2013, i dont want to lose all my benefits because i couldnt extend 8 months to meet my 20 year mark. If our son werent in high school I wouldnt care about pcsing. any suggestions?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 51C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by army94echo:
Last month I was came up on assignment instruction to pcs to fort riley in April, Im at Fort Sill right now. Last week I was given a letter stating that I had insufficeint time remining in service to fullfil the orders. I was told I would have to wait till m levy briefing to find out what is going on. I want to stay here because our son is in 10th grade, I asked branch this morning about doing a stabilization for high school students and havent heard back from them yet. Has anyone been stabilized, if so how long did it take. My 1sgt told me to sign a dec statement, but my ets date is january 2013, but my retirement date isnt until sep 2013, i dont want to lose all my benefits because i couldnt extend 8 months to meet my 20 year mark. If our son werent in high school I wouldnt care about pcsing. any suggestions?

High school stabilization is only offered if your child is in their senior year of high school I believe.

Honestly, if I were in your situation, I would have to weight the pros and cons of PCSing and what not. You might be able to get a deferement of your orders until your son finishes the school year and be able to PCS in the summer.

Posts: 467 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually the stabilization for high school students can be submitted in March of their 10th grade year. I spoke to my branch manager.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
High School Stabilization (HHS)

Recent Change: HRC will attempt to support each HSS request...however the intent of the program now is to at least stabilize the "dependent" not the service member. This may require the service member to take a short tour assignment in order to leave the family in place for another year. MILPER Message 03158 released on 1 May 03 provides instructions on how to apply for High School Senior Stabilization. You must apply NLT the start of the student's junior year, and not earlier than March 1 of the student's sophomore year (apply between March 1 and September 1). This application window also applies to students in year round schooling programs. Officers are still eligible to PCS before the start of the student's junior year.
Officer's action: Officers should initiate a DA Form 4187 requesting stabilization through their unit commander to the servicing PSB/MPD.
The DA Form 4187 will include:

High school student's name and SSN (must be enrolled in DEERS).
Letter/memo (attached to the DA Form 4187) from the school with projected graduation date of high school student.
Officers must indicate any scheduled training during the high school academic year (e.g. TDY enroute) on the DA Form 4187. PERSCOM will manage training on a casebycase basis.
OCONUS officers whose DEROS is prior to requested stabilization date must include the following statement: "I will extend my overseas tour to meet the stabilization requirement. Based on my new DEROS, I understand that I must still meet the service remaining requirement to qualify and be eligible for the OCONUS to CONUS assignment."
Officers not on Assignment Instructions (AI): officers not on AI should apply within the application dates listed below. If the soldier is placed on AI during the application process (e.g. placed on AI before RSCOM receives the request for stabilization), the AI will take precedence and the soldier's eligibility will be determined IAW the policy for Officers on AI.
Officers on AI:

Officers on AI to a dependent restricted tour may still PCS. The officer may return to the same installation where they were stationed prior to completing the dependent restricted tour (HAAP) or PCS upon return to a new location. Disapproval authority for officers will remain with the Director, OPMD, PERSCOM.
Officers on AI to a CONUS tour or to a with dependent OCONUS tour may still PCS if the family can arrive and in-process before the start of the student's junior year. Report dates may be adjusted to accommodate the soldier's arrival before the start of the school year.
Officers may request change of assignment to a dependent restricted tour to stabilize family at current location. The officer must initiate this action.
Graduation Date Apply No Earlier Than Apply No Later Than
2009 01 March 2007 01 September 2007
2010 01 March 2008 01 September 2008
2011 01 March 2009 01 September 2009
2012 01 March 2010 01 September 2010
2013 01 March 2011 01 September 2011
2014 01 March 2012 01 September 2012
2015 01 March 2013 01 September 2013
2016 01 March 2014 01 September 2014

Posts: 2 | Location: fort leavenworth KS | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ReUp63
posted Hide Post
What rank are you? If you're SSG or above, you can't extend, you have to reenlsit Indef. If you're an E-5P or below you can't reenlist or extend as you already exceed RCP. In that case you wouldn't be required to sign a DCSS as you're not eligible to take action.
I know that has nothing to do with HS Stabilization, but something else to ponder.

Career Counselor (Retired)

Posts: 473 | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post