ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  CONUS Assignments    compassionate reassignment
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

compassionate reassignment
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi I am an Army wife and my Grandmother died May of last year, after her passing my Grandfather starting acting weird so my parents moved to be near him since the move my dads health has gotten pretty bad. He has diabetes and over Christmas we almost lost him. I was wondering if this is a good enough reason for the Army to reassign my husband to a base closer to my family.

Confused but Hopeful

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello, my son is stationed at Fort Bliss Texas. My husband who has had cancer now for two years was just told that he has stage four lung cancer. They are only giving him up to a year to live. I would like for my son to be home so he can help out with his dad and spend time with him. I work all day and have no one else to be with my husband all day. We heard about compassionate reassignment. Someone (not sure who) told my son that he needs to find out all the information he needs and what all he needs to do this. Is this right? I cannot believe that they could not help him out and tell him what he needs. We know that he needs letters from my husbands doctor stating his illness, prognosis, etc... We are not sure what else he needs and what his next steps are. Could anyone help us with this? Does my son have a good chance of getting compassionate reassignment? It is now May and my son is scheduled to be sent to Afghanistan in December. How long will this process last? I really need my son home as soon as possible. Do we have any other options? Could someone please point us in the right direction, please? Thank you

Posts: 3 | Registered: 15 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
Compassionate reassignment is never guaranteed- they need to get with their supervisors and submit the request, with supporting documentation.

Their S-1 office should have an example, or can get one.

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The units Chaplain should also be able to point them in the right position. I think some people misunderstand the compassionate reassignment and think that the Army can just crap the Soldier out a position. You won't be assigned to Recruiting unless you are a Recruiter or part of the BARE minimum amount of Soldiers at MEPS.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I recently submitted my compassionate reassignment request, and I was approved. For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. I have also created an SOP for compassionate reassignments. Also to answer the time it can take anywhere from a week to 6 months+. Total time for me from turning in my packet to my chain of command to getting my orders was about 2 weeks. It is a bit different when you're scheduled to be deployed.

Below I have attached my SOP. It should hold lots of information to answer questions. Feel free to ask anything you may need I have researched this subject a lot!

4. REFERENCES:
A. AR 614-200
a. Section III Compassionate Actions 5–14.
5. CLARIFICATION: A compassionate reassignment (compassionate action request) is a request from a soldier needing relocation as soon as possible due to severe personal problems. Soldiers may be given a reassignment when extreme family problems exist, and can typically be resolved within one year.
A. There are two types of a compassionate reassignment.
a. Temporary reassignment can be resolved within one year.
b. Not temporary reassignments cannot be resolved within one year.
B. Examples of situations that normally are approved.
a. Severe medical issues pertaining to spouse or minor child. This can include, but is not limited to:
(i) Severe psychotic episodes.
(ii) Scheduled major surgery with a twelve months or less recovery period documented by the physician.
(iii) Documented rape where the soldiers’ presence is essential in resolving related problems.
b. Terminal illness of immediate family members with life expectancy of less than one year.
c. Death of an immediate family member when a dire circumstance exists.
d. Soldiers' minor children are being made wards of the court or placed in an orphanage or foster home as a result of family separation.
i. Separation must be the result of military service and not because of neglect or misconduct on part of the soldier.
e. Soldiers en route from an accompanied OCONUS tour to an unaccompanied OCONUS tour may be deferred for up to 30 days. The deferment is for settlement of family when the soldier's presence is required for unforeseen problems.

C. Examples of situations that are not normally approved.
a. Financial hardships.
b. Divorce and/or custody court hearings.
c. Minor allergies.
d. Desire to be in a new area or desire to be near family.
e. Single parenthood.
f. Pregnancies involving threatened miscarriage, breech birth, cesarean section, or RH incompatibility of spouse.
g. Problems relating to home ownership or inadequate housing.
h. Chronic problems in immediate family.

6. QUALIFICATIONS:
A. The problem cannot be resolved through the use of leave, correspondence, power of attorney, or the help of family members or other parties.
B. If the problem involves a family member, the soldier must be related.
a. A family member includes spouse, child, parent, minor brother or sister, person in loco parentis, or the only living blood relative of the soldier. Other persons, including parents-in-law, may also be considered, provided they are documented as authorized family members (dependents).
C. There must be a valid MOS and rank position available at the requested installation.
D. The problem must be temporary and resolvable within one year.
a. Longer request are sometimes approved.
E. The problem cannot have existed nor have been foreseen at the time of the latest entry on active duty.
a. Reenlistment without a break in service is not considered to be the latest entry on active duty.

7. FORMS NEEDED:
A. DA 3739
B. Medical Records (if situation pertains)
a. Any records pertaining to foreseen hospitalization periods, past hospitalization times, exact illness, etc.
C. A Letter from the attending physician (if the situation pertains).
a. The letter should include illness, prognosis, diagnosis, life expectancy if illness is terminal, date of onset, and anything else pertaining to the problem.
D. A Letter of recommendation from a Chaplin.
a. This is not required, but it can be helpful in some situations.
8. PROCEDURES:
A. Soldier must initiate the request on his or her own. No one else can initiate on behalf of the soldier.
B. Once the soldier has spoken with their NCO Support Channel about options available and they have come to an agreement that a compassionate reassignment request is necessary then the soldier should begin his or her packet of forms needed.
C. After the soldier has completed all necessary information the soldier should turn in his or her packet to his or her next up on their chain of command.
a. If the soldiers' chain of command believes further paperwork will be needed they will assist the soldier in obtaining them.
D. The soldiers' Chain of command will council the soldier about DA Form 3739, and review the soldiers' request.
E. Commanders have general court martial convening authority (GCMCA). This means they have been delegated the authority to disapprove compassionate requests when they clearly do not meet the prerequisites. Approval authority for compassionate reassignment rests with PERSCOM (Army Personnel Command).
F. The soldiers' request packet will then be sent to Human Resources Command (HRC) where they will review it. If it is approved they will determine where the soldier is eligible to be stationed, and orders will be assigned as soon as possible.
a. Compassionate reassignment request are not always approved or disapproved promptly. Different situations require different time allocations.
G. If a compassionate reassignment request is not approved, a soldier may only request reconsideration for the same family emergency one time. If the second request is also not approved, there will be no further reconsideration.

Posts: 4 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Raff:

Excellent info!

quote:

... For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. ....

This assumes that the unit you are "assigned to" is cool not having a Soldier they need. Because that Soldier will be assigned to them but not available to do the work.

Also, not all Soldiers end up in recruiting units for a Compassionate Reassignment. I had a son born in Germany, needed serious heart doctor work. He was medevac'd to the US, had surgery, wife lived with family a couple months while I did the CR paperwork. Ended up at Fort Meade, Maryland, not terribly far from his hospital in Philadelphia. Since the unit had actual slots for my MOS/rank, it turned into a regular assignment.

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
This is what is happening as of today. My son's Sergeant told him that he has to find the base to go to, that he has to find all the regulations, etc.... I don't understand that, you would think that they would help him in some way. My son says that there is no base's that are close enough. So I really don't know where to go from here. I really need my son home and he wants to be home for his dad. I heard that they have something also that he would be able to be discharged. I think it is called "hardship" something or another. Me nor my son do not want to go that route but if my son cannot get any headway that is what we will have to do. Anybody have any suggestions? I really need him home soon.

posted Hide Post
He can call his branch manager to ask where the closest opening is, and he can put that post or the closest loation to his father. For example since my Mom is located in Illinois I put in for Chicago MEPS. However, HRC will be the one to give him orders and assign him to a location if his compassionate is approved. (I was assigned to Kentucky 6 1/2 hours away from my request) If he really wants to put in for a compassionate he needs to read the SOP I posted earlier, and he needs to fill out DA 3739. Once he has that filled out he needs all of the paperwork I have listed in the SOP, medical records, chaplin letter, etc. Once he has all of this he can turn the packet into his chain of command, and they can get his request started. Please do note that if he is denied he can only reapply one time. Then he will be given no more chances.

quote:
Originally posted by pamom:
This is what is happening as of today. My son's Sergeant told him that he has to find the base to go to, that he has to find all the regulations, etc.... I don't understand that, you would think that they would help him in some way. My son says that there is no base's that are close enough. So I really don't know where to go from here. I really need my son home and he wants to be home for his dad. I heard that they have something also that he would be able to be discharged. I think it is called "hardship" something or another. Me nor my son do not want to go that route but if my son cannot get any headway that is what we will have to do. Anybody have any suggestions? I really need him home soon.

Posts: 4 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 15 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Pamom I hope you understand this will not be a short process, even if he were to be discharged that would take EVEN longer.

I understand this is a difficult time, but plan in your mind that this will take weeks to months. Especially if his job isn't within a headquarters.

This is pure speculation but I believe that Soldiers that have this happen the quickest, are in a Headquarters, Battalion, Brigade, or Division level where the signatures he will need are the people he is directly working for.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, really great info.
I will let my son know all this and tell him to get started right away.

posted Hide Post
Hello, I am a female single parent of a three year old little girl that has ADD, and ive catched orders to Camp Casey,Korea. I just got back in November from a 12 month tour from Afghanistan and I reenlisted over there for stabalazation. I am aware that its only for 12 months, but is there any way i can put in for Compassionate Reassaignment? Im currently stationed in Ft.Hood,Texas. Please give all info possible, Thankyou.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
couple questions to help get you a more accurate answer...

1. Is this your first enlistment? If so, did you join as a single parent?
2. Is the Army tracking you as having a dependent (LES, ERB, DEERS, ORDERS reflect having dependents, etc...)
3. Does your child qualify for the EFMP?
4. Are your Korea orders for a command sponsorship slot?

I believe when people join the army as a single parent they have to legally give up custody so they can attend basic, and ait.

Posts: 178 | Location: Fort Myer, VA | Registered: 21 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by solisliz13:
Hello, I am a female single parent... I am aware that its only for 12 months, but is there any way i can put in for Compassionate Reassaignment?

This is not usually for a compassionate reassignment. Compassionate reassignments are for "emergencies" in which being stationed somewhere for 12months will help you to "fix" the emergency.

Being a single parent in the Army will not be 'fixed' by the Army putting you wherever you want each assignment. You'll have to work something else out.

Good luck!

Picture of dmday
posted Hide Post
solisliz13
When you returned from Afghanistan it reset your dwell time to 12 months. Unless you waive your dwell time you cannot be sent on another deployment or dependent restricted tour until the dwell time is up. You can however be sent on a command-sponsored tour with your dependents.

Call your branch manager and explain that you are not willing to waive your dwell time and ensure that your orders are for a command sponsored tour. If it is dependent restricted they should delete the orders or at least defer them until November when your dwell time expires.

Your daughter should be enrolled into EFMP. You can check with the office there to ensure that the have the right support for her needs in the area. If they do not have that support EFMP should be able to get the orders canceled.

EFMP does not apply to dependent restricted tours though so if the orders are deferred until your dwell time expires your only option would be to go to Korea or if you cannot get a long term family care plan you can be chaptered out.

Posts: 17 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 22 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Raff:
I recently submitted my compassionate reassignment request, and I was approved. For a typical request that is approved you will be assigned the closest post to where you need to be where there is an opening for your MOS and rank. My mom lives in Illinois, and I was stationed 6 1/2 hours away in KY. Once you sign into your new post you will be given follow on orders to a local recruiting station for 120 days. I have also created an SOP for compassionate reassignments. Also to answer the time it can take anywhere from a week to 6 months+. Total time for me from turning in my packet to my chain of command to getting my orders was about 2 weeks. It is a bit different when you're scheduled to be deployed.

Below I have attached my SOP. It should hold lots of information to answer questions. Feel free to ask anything you may need I have researched this subject a lot!

4. REFERENCES:
A. AR 614-200
a. Section III Compassionate Actions 5–14.
5. CLARIFICATION: A compassionate reassignment (compassionate action request) is a request from a soldier needing relocation as soon as possible due to severe personal problems. Soldiers may be given a reassignment when extreme family problems exist, and can typically be resolved within one year.
A. There are two types of a compassionate reassignment.
a. Temporary reassignment can be resolved within one year.
b. Not temporary reassignments cannot be resolved within one year.
B. Examples of situations that normally are approved.
a. Severe medical issues pertaining to spouse or minor child. This can include, but is not limited to:
(i) Severe psychotic episodes.
(ii) Scheduled major surgery with a twelve months or less recovery period documented by the physician.
(iii) Documented rape where the soldiers’ presence is essential in resolving related problems.
b. Terminal illness of immediate family members with life expectancy of less than one year.
c. Death of an immediate family member when a dire circumstance exists.
d. Soldiers' minor children are being made wards of the court or placed in an orphanage or foster home as a result of family separation.
i. Separation must be the result of military service and not because of neglect or misconduct on part of the soldier.
e. Soldiers en route from an accompanied OCONUS tour to an unaccompanied OCONUS tour may be deferred for up to 30 days. The deferment is for settlement of family when the soldier's presence is required for unforeseen problems.

C. Examples of situations that are not normally approved.
a. Financial hardships.
b. Divorce and/or custody court hearings.
c. Minor allergies.
d. Desire to be in a new area or desire to be near family.
e. Single parenthood.
f. Pregnancies involving threatened miscarriage, breech birth, cesarean section, or RH incompatibility of spouse.
g. Problems relating to home ownership or inadequate housing.
h. Chronic problems in immediate family.

6. QUALIFICATIONS:
A. The problem cannot be resolved through the use of leave, correspondence, power of attorney, or the help of family members or other parties.
B. If the problem involves a family member, the soldier must be related.
a. A family member includes spouse, child, parent, minor brother or sister, person in loco parentis, or the only living blood relative of the soldier. Other persons, including parents-in-law, may also be considered, provided they are documented as authorized family members (dependents).
C. There must be a valid MOS and rank position available at the requested installation.
D. The problem must be temporary and resolvable within one year.
a. Longer request are sometimes approved.
E. The problem cannot have existed nor have been foreseen at the time of the latest entry on active duty.
a. Reenlistment without a break in service is not considered to be the latest entry on active duty.

7. FORMS NEEDED:
A. DA 3739
B. Medical Records (if situation pertains)
a. Any records pertaining to foreseen hospitalization periods, past hospitalization times, exact illness, etc.
C. A Letter from the attending physician (if the situation pertains).
a. The letter should include illness, prognosis, diagnosis, life expectancy if illness is terminal, date of onset, and anything else pertaining to the problem.
D. A Letter of recommendation from a Chaplin.
a. This is not required, but it can be helpful in some situations.
8. PROCEDURES:
A. Soldier must initiate the request on his or her own. No one else can initiate on behalf of the soldier.
B. Once the soldier has spoken with their NCO Support Channel about options available and they have come to an agreement that a compassionate reassignment request is necessary then the soldier should begin his or her packet of forms needed.
C. After the soldier has completed all necessary information the soldier should turn in his or her packet to his or her next up on their chain of command.
a. If the soldiers' chain of command believes further paperwork will be needed they will assist the soldier in obtaining them.
D. The soldiers' Chain of command will council the soldier about DA Form 3739, and review the soldiers' request.
E. Commanders have general court martial convening authority (GCMCA). This means they have been delegated the authority to disapprove compassionate requests when they clearly do not meet the prerequisites. Approval authority for compassionate reassignment rests with PERSCOM (Army Personnel Command).
F. The soldiers' request packet will then be sent to Human Resources Command (HRC) where they will review it. If it is approved they will determine where the soldier is eligible to be stationed, and orders will be assigned as soon as possible.
a. Compassionate reassignment request are not always approved or disapproved promptly. Different situations require different time allocations.
G. If a compassionate reassignment request is not approved, a soldier may only request reconsideration for the same family emergency one time. If the second request is also not approved, there will be no further reconsideration.

PATRICK THE ULTIMATE WEAPON IS AN EDUCATIONED MIND AND UNFORTUNATELY MY MIND IN IS OVERLOAD!! I really need your assistance and any information you can give me will be a blessing. We're stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and I have had three surgeries since February 28, 2012 and I need at least one more from the doctor's negligence. I can't get continuity of patient care here and we're now facing custody issues of my husband's two daughters. We are applying for Compassionate Reassignment and my civilian doctor needs help with writing a supporting letter to see that we get me stationed closer to family to provide convalescent care while I recover from these multiple procedures. Can you assist us? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post