ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  PCS / Assignment Locations  Hop To Forums  CONUS Assignments    can my family accompany me to an ait that is 21 weeks long
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

can my family accompany me to an ait that is 21 weeks long
 Login/Join

posted
can my spouse accompany me to an ait that is 21 weeks long

Posts: 7 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<That325iGetsDown>
posted
Hopefully you already know the answer to this question. I have never heard of this happening; AIT is part of Initial Entry Training. Until you complete it you are not authorized housing or command sponsorship of dependents. Your family will probably be able to visit you when you are off-duty, but the Army will not give your family housing or any other benefits until you complete IET and are part of a unit.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Actually for AITs 20+ weeks the Army will move your family. Once you get to AIT talk to the cadre, they will take care of you. My wife went to my 9 month AIT and I see IET soldiers all the time at the AIT where I teach living with their family.

Posts: 66 | Location: DINFOS | Registered: 01 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Career Counselor
Picture of ArmyReenlistment
posted Hide Post
AR 614-200, Chapter 4, paragraph 4-5:

b. Soldiers will be advised that family member travel and shipment of household goods to schools at Government expense is not authorized under Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR) unless the Soldier is being assigned PCS to a school or installation to attend one of the following:
(1) A course of 20 weeks or more.
(2) Two or more courses for a cumulative period of 20 weeks or more at any one duty station.

It's YOUR career! Take control of it before someone else does.
http://www.ArmyReenlistment.com
http://www.facebook.com/ArmyReenlistment

Posts: 7447 | Location: Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall | Registered: 31 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sinkler:

Yes, if the Commander approves your request.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That325iGetsDown:
Hopefully you already know the answer to this question. I have never heard of this happening; AIT is part of Initial Entry Training. Until you complete it you are not authorized housing or command sponsorship of dependents. Your family will probably be able to visit you when you are off-duty, but the Army will not give your family housing or any other benefits until you complete IET and are part of a unit.

WOW I did not realize how wrong this statement is, what are your sources?

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3939 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Originally posted by
quote:
That325iGetsDown:

These are the reasons why I am skeptical about joining the Army. People like this. They come off like they know every thing and then be so wrong and you have to respect them, if they are outrank you. That was just uncalled for.

Posts: 4 | Location: Seymour Johnson AFB | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NewArmyGirl:
Originally posted by
quote:
That325iGetsDown:

These are the reasons why I am skeptical about joining the Army. People like this. They come off like they know every thing and then be so wrong and you have to respect them, if they are outrank you. That was just uncalled for.

This is one reason why I am skeptical about new Army recruits. Illiterate people like this. They are quick to dispute bad information, and you have to listen to them or they say you suck. That's what spell check is for.

Posts: 81 | Location: fort meade, md | Registered: 08 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EchoWitSkillz:
quote:
Originally posted by NewArmyGirl:
Originally posted by
quote:
That325iGetsDown:

This is one reason why I am skeptical about new Army recruits. Illiterate people like this. They are quick to dispute bad information, and you have to listen to them or they say you suck. That's what spell check is for.

The only problem there is, spelling and literacy is not the issue. Bad intel is the issue. And in this case the soldier seems to believe strongly that AIT is only for IET soldiers. Must be they never heard of re-class.

Posts: 23 | Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ | Registered: 14 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

What is your MOS? My AIT orders said 20 weeks and 4 days, but, AIT for 35M is never more than 18 weeks. And I got into the shortened course of only 16 weeks. So don't get your hopes up until you find out that AIT is actually going to be that long.

I'm not trying to pessimistic, but the Army has made me pretty skeptical. I guess you can hope that your family will be accompanying you, but just don't expect it. And there's always the option of having them move there (which you'd have to pay for yourself), but you'll still be receiving BAH for them.

Posts: 32 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Yea hehe I was just poking fun at NewArmyGirl, you better get used to it PVT. Wink

Posts: 81 | Location: fort meade, md | Registered: 08 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea hehe I was just poking fun at NewArmyGirl, you better get used to it PVT

Sorry no PVT here. Going in with rank. Prior service here.

Posts: 4 | Location: Seymour Johnson AFB | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Aww that's not fun. We'll welcome back. I'm just here at work, working here. I should get back.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. Some people have that put on their orders or gets their orders revise to be able to take their families. However, the AIT must be at least 20weeks long and in one location. For example...M6 school is 52 weeks long but the school is done half in Ft. Sam and the other at Walter Reed, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Gordon or etc. Because of this split you cannot take your family. Just ask your enlistment personnel and they will be able to square you away.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 21 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
Im sure that this person has been to ait by now....this post is over 3 years old...

Posts: 1036 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post