ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Infantry    Help INFANTRY OR SCOUT
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help INFANTRY OR SCOUT
 Login/Join

posted
Ok so i have wanted to do infantry my whole life. But my jr year of highschool i met this girl that i cant live without. I have been lookin for alternitive jobs in the military and outside the military. But i always come back to doing infantry. Im worried that i wont get to see my future wife enough and if i dont serve i feel like im cheating myself and everyone else who took the chance that im having trouble with. i dont want to end up making a mistake by not joining or joining. If anyone has some advice on that or what they have been through would be great.

From what i have read Army Scouts sound more beneficial when i get out. But witch job would i get to see my future wife most. Also with these jobs how much time do i miss with my wife

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It can depend on soo many factors and operation tempo that giving you an honest answer would be impossible. With the combat arms MOSes I do know that they are "married" to the job a lot deeper than the rest of what are called support MOSes. Me personally I would do 11 series over 19 series. I would just make sure that (IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED) you get option 40 in the contract. I have known Paratroopers in the 82nd Airborne Division that were lucky if they saw their family 6 months out of the year and I have known infantry soldiers that have served 20+ years and have never went to ANY combat deployment. There really are NO guarantees in that aspect. What the Army CAN guarantee is what MOS you will be trained in.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So i should look into Infantry if i want to see family more. if someone could tell me what infantry is like. like how much they go to the field and how long there gone.

Edit: Can i go to school will im in Infantry cause i need a decent job when i get out

posted Hide Post
Sure, you had better have specifics ready,(what classes you want to take, and what major) otherwise just going to college because it sounds nice will not get any one to cooperate with your "goal". If you want to see your family a lot and be in the Army do 88K....end of story. Infantry is like the movie Jarhead (I am aware that they are Marines in that movie). That is what Infantry life is like complete with cheating spouses. I am aware also that that movie takes place during the Gulf War, but it is as close to reality as you will get. As far as 88K, YOU do the homework and tell ME what it is about by using google.

Posts: 2619 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well Watercraft operator doesnt really apeal to me.

posted Hide Post
Your unit will be your next family. If you want to see your family, be ready to see them maybe twice a year unless they fly to you. Summer block leave/Winter block leave.

Be ready to hit the field for months at a time. Be ready to run around in the rain/snow/ice and freeze your ass off. I hope you enjoy random smokings, and cracks at every weakness you show.

You will even be able to live in dirt when you deploy. (A little extreme but true) You will have idiots as battle buddies who will and can protect you.

Neither Scouts nor Infantry have anything to show for it in the civilian world unless you're going into Law Enforcement or something of that nature.

Posts: 27 | Location: Camp Hovey, ROK | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
Nate,
You need to follow what you've always wanted to do. Go jump out of planes, travel the world and then get serious about family life. I spent twenty years doing just that, and raised two beautiful children. They're now serving in the military. If you let ANYONE talk you out of doing what you've always wanted, it'll cause problems. You'll regret not going for it.

There are plenty of jobs in civilian world that use the skills found in the Infantry. Law Enforcement isn't the only career that uses team work, thinking on your feet, common sense, dedication, respect, determination, work ethics, understanding and working with folks from all walks of life, etc.... GO FOR IT.

Posts: 81 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Law Enforcement isn't the only career that uses team work, thinking on your feet, common sense, dedication, respect, determination, work ethics, understanding and working with folks from all walks of life, etc.... GO FOR IT.

Just to clarify, I was going off what being in the Infantry can be related to in the civilian world.

What you listed were attributes that you will gain being in the military, not just the Infantry. If you're more interested in gaining skills in the Army for use in the civilian world, you'd be better off picking a different job.

Going through BNCOC/ANCOC, Airborne, Sniper, Air Assault, etc etc, will not help you when you work in the corporate world. Not directly anyway. But going through Gunnery, and LFX won't help you in the civilian world.

Pathfinder would be the only school that I can see in our career path that you won't use in Law Enforcement.

Posts: 27 | Location: Camp Hovey, ROK | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There are lots of support and combat arms jobs here.
https://www.benning.army.mil/7...ecruitingTriFold.pdf

Oh, and they have shorter deployments, if you are a support MOS you get to jump from planes, kick in doors and develop a high paying skill for the civilian world (See CMF 21, 35, 25,68 or 94.)

The Rangers employ the following enlisted MOS:
11B 11C 13F 13Z 21B 21H 21R 21U 21W 25B 25C 25F
25P 25S 25U 25W 25X 27D 35F 35G 35L 35M 35P 42A
44B 44C 45B 45K 52C 52D 56M 63B 63X 68J 68S 68W
68X 74D 79S 88M 88N 89B 92A 92F 92G 92L 92R 92W
92Y 94E 94F 94W

Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgh4415:
There are lots of support and combat arms jobs here.
https://www.benning.army.mil/7...ecruitingTriFold.pdf

Oh, and they have shorter deployments, if you are a support MOS you get to jump from planes, kick in doors and develop a high paying skill for the civilian world (See CMF 21, 35, 25,68 or 94.)

The Rangers employ the following enlisted MOS:
11B 11C 13F 13Z 21B 21H 21R 21U 21W 25B 25C 25F
25P 25S 25U 25W 25X 27D 35F 35G 35L 35M 35P 42A
44B 44C 45B 45K 52C 52D 56M 63B 63X 68J 68S 68W
68X 74D 79S 88M 88N 89B 92A 92F 92G 92L 92R 92W
92Y 94E 94F 94W

where did this even come from? i don't think he mentioned 75th at all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r34dy2walk:
where did this even come from? i don't think he mentioned 75th at all.

(I will type slowly so you can comprehend) I presented it as an option.

The poster was looking at 11B and 19D and wanted family life and a solid job prospect after the military. For his informaiton (and others) I provided information about the 75th

Being in the 75th you can get a high skill MOS that converts easily over to a civilian job (I did radio repair and have a good civilian job but I am liking the Carpantry/Masonary job now offered), you can jump out of planes and kick in doors and have shorter deployments than most units.

Posts: 240 | Registered: 04 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
hahaha. good one. you typed slowly so I can understand. you got me good.

So, I'm assuming you were part of Bat. You're telling me, an 17-18 year old kid who marries his high school sweetheart, who goes 11X Option 40, will be better off because they have shorter deployments? Really...? At Bat? The same battalion that parties harder than anyone else? That lives out in the field and deploys right after?

Seeing how you know that he wanted to be Infantry. What "high skills" would he attain as a junior enlisted soldier in the Infantry? RS? RSLC? RFRC? I'm seriously curious cause my ROP packets already in and I want to know what further skills I can attain as an Infantryman that I can use in the civilian world.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgh4415:

(I will type slowly so you can comprehend) I presented it as an option.

The poster was looking at 11B and 19D and wanted family life and a solid job prospect after the military. For his informaiton (and others) I provided information about the 75th

Being in the 75th you can get a high skill MOS that converts easily over to a civilian job (I did radio repair and have a good civilian job but I am liking the Carpantry/Masonary job now offered), you can jump out of planes and kick in doors and have shorter deployments than most units.

Oh I get you now. I read the Tri-Fold and understand what you meant by "high skills" of an Infantryman that can be used in the civilian world.

You must mean the:

Airfield Seizures
Air Assaults
Direct Action Raids
Seizing Strategic Key Terrain
Support to Joint Special Operations

Oh and you can't forget Fast-Roping with all gear possible and hitting the ground like a rock.

Now I see what you mean. Thanks.

Picture of 11BIN3ID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r34dy2walk:

Oh I get you now. I read the Tri-Fold and understand what you meant by "high skills" of an Infantryman that can be used in the civilian world.

You must mean the:

Airfield Seizures
Air Assaults
Direct Action Raids
Seizing Strategic Key Terrain
Support to Joint Special Operations

Oh and you can't forget Fast-Roping with all gear possible and hitting the ground like a rock.

Now I see what you mean. Thanks.

Are you serious guy? You must be some random POG that is just mad that he cant do high speed stuff in the army... infantrymen do many things besides kill people... and i agree with jgh, ranger bat is a good place for someone to go if they want a job thats good for the civilian world, ie commo, and they get the glory of doing infantry stuff. The deployements are REALLY short compared to regular army, and they get lots of off time. Sure they train hard but they have pleanty of off time too.. I live on benning, where 75rgt and 3rd bat are, and I have lots of buddies in 3rd bat, they love life..

Posts: 991 | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Pathfinder1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pathfinder would be the only school that I can see in our career path that you won't use in Law Enforcement.

r34dy2walk.......

It's pretty apparent you don't have a clue. As a Deputy Sheriff, shortly after Retirement - Thank God for my Pathfinder skills. I had to run a multi ship LZ for Medevac while called out to a multiple vehicle accident. Several more times, used my Pathfinder skills during Search and Rescue operations. Air Traffic control, LZ prep, LZ Control, aerial and land navigation, slingload of unconventional loads.. believe me, even Pathfinder skills are in high demand in law enforcement.

Posts: 81 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post