ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Infantry    Leave for benning in sept!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leave for benning in sept!
 Login/Join

Picture of infantryair!
posted
Well got my ship date and am curious with what duty station I may end up with. Ill finish airborne school first of feb. I know I get a "wish list" but where would I have the biggest chance of going if any knowledge is out there.

Posts: 1 | Location: Charlotte NC | Registered: 24 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
When I was at airborne school back in '05 I saw a lot of people get Fort Bragg. You are likely to end up there since it is dubbed "the home of the airborne." On another note, there are Airborne units all over the world so don't assume it will be Bragg, its just what I seen while I was there.

Dave

Posts: 258 | Location: Japan | Registered: 04 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of TransAm95NCO
posted Hide Post
not to mention you might go to a non Airborne unit right after Airborne school...so, anywhere your MOS is needed.

Lead by Example!!!

Posts: 3914 | Location: Somewhere in the US | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Good luck at Basic Training and OSUT. Remember that Basic Training is mostly all in your head. Just listen to your Drill Sergeants and do as you are told when you are told to do it and how you are instructed how to do it.

It is pretty simple.

Most likely you will end up at Fort Bragg. There is no shortage of slots in the 82nd Airborne. I went Mechanized for the ability to go more places. Besides that the Bradley is pretty freaking Bad Ass and I wasn't going to have to walk everywhere. If you did not have Airborne in your contract you could end up mechanized and in several different places. Tough you never know until you get your assignment at the end of OSUT. In the end it is all based upon the needs of the Army. Yes you do get your "Wish List" but the best way to guarantee a duty station is to have it in your contract. Other than that is is as I said Needs of the Army. You can wish for it but you probably won't get it. If you do count that as a bonus.

Fort Bragg is often times referred to as Infantry Purgatory. There are only a few ways of getting out of there.

1: Reenlist for a different duty station
2: ETS
3: Retire
4: Die

US Army Infantry Homepage

TransAm95NCO: Seriously? Do I have to answer this question? Maybe I do. The difference is that an NCO has earned his or her stripes. A SGT (P) has earned his promotable status and has been slated for promotion to Staff Sergeant. E-6. The P only comes when you are Slated for promotion, that means that you have met all of the requirements in order to be promoted. Not just going to the Board and being recommended. Being recommended for promotion by the board does not make you promotable.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 13 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoofyMac:
TransAm95NCO: Seriously? Do I have to answer this question? Maybe I do. The difference is that an NCO has earned his or her stripes. A SGT (P) has earned his promotable status and has been slated for promotion to Staff Sergeant. E-6. The P only comes when you are Slated for promotion, that means that you have met all of the requirements in order to be promoted. Not just going to the Board and being recommended. Being recommended for promotion by the board does not make you promotable.

Technically, thats exactly what that means as to be recommended you are supposed to have meet all of the requirements.

But really, I will bet his signature is out of jest. I guess I just don't know why you are even commenting on it.

Posts: 531 | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post