ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Branch Specific Posts  Hop To Forums  Infantry    about to enlist
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

about to enlist
 Login/Join

posted
About to enlist into the Army and I am trying to figure out what job or MOS that i want, i want to do something that is crazy, I am 20 and im thinkin of making the army a career, I am really interesed in infantry, can somone tell me what an infantryman does, while they are not deployed and deployed

Posts: 48 | Location: denver north carolina | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
For future reference:

By using this service, you have agreed that you will not: Cross-post (post your message in more than one place on this board). This will actually hinder you from getting a rapid answer, and repeated cross-posting may result in your being banned.

It's in the rules, man. Like they used to tell me in Kindergarden: "Just a little dab'll do ya."

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
Someone once told me that Military Police was pretty cool... like a really technical Infantryman, and with trucks!! Big Grin

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Medical_SGT
posted Hide Post
awww MP, SMEMPEE , smittaayy! lol Big Grin

Yeah the Mps are cool, but medical guys get busy! Big Grin

Hey ussoldier, you want a challenge? Join the AMEDD. <-----( look it up)

Soldiers may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.

Posts: 174 | Location: FT. Rucker, AL | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
It'd be a crime for me to plug anything else! Cool

Picture of SSGGunbunny
posted Hide Post
Almost all cadences are about the infantry...what else is there? Wink

Seriously though - Infantry gets rank fairly quickly, a lot of cool schools are available (airborne, ranger etc) It's an easy springboard into special operations etc. It is an excellent MOS for a military career.

You need to consider though that you will definitely deploy at least once to a war zone...probably numerous times. It is a high risk MOS, you will be the guy kicking open doors and getting shot at.

If you decide to leave the military, the infantry doesn't give you much civilian relevant employment experience (outside of leadership under stress). Unless you want to be a policeman.

Even in peacetime, you will deploy...a lot all over the globe, in support of peacetime missions. Most of these places you will get to see, you would not choose to visit.

There is a lot of field time (you go out to the woods and you stay there for long periods of time, training day and night) it is not a 9 to 5 job. It is very physically demanding, very heavy gear with long walks. You will become intimate with body armor, rucks and weapons.

All that being said...I loved being infantry!

Posts: 267 | Location: I AM a Drill Sergeant.. | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Medical_SGT
posted Hide Post
lol, Shout out to the Infantry--- however Big Grin,
since we are doing shameless plugs, heres another one from me. Wink

http://www.goarmy.com/JobCatDetail.do?id=9

Soldiers may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.

Posts: 174 | Location: FT. Rucker, AL | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I would like to say that Infantry is the crazy place if you think you are crazy.(plug complete time now)

Bullet sponge

Posts: 22 | Location: fort lewis | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Joel Ross
posted Hide Post
the infantry is great, but just like any other job there are bad leaders mixed in somewhere. so as long as you can hold you tongue and do what you are told, its great, as was said great for advancing, a lot of fun, the closest bonds you can ever make without being gay, and unlike someone said it is NOTHING like being an M.P. there are us, then them. (dont get your feelings hurt guys, just the way it is)

Ross, Joel Lee
C Co 3-7 INF
4 IBCT, 3ID

Posts: 29 | Location: Fort Stewart | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
There is a reason why MP is open to female's and comes with a free whistle and traffics stopping sign

Posts: 44 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of armysarge72
posted Hide Post
You want crazy,infantry is it. Don't put out aviation either (door gunner). If you want not as crazy with a bit of a mix of combat infantry tactics and some post policing go MP. (there are many types of MP's out there,some which get real close to mech infantry)

You have lots of choices, and don't forget to think about where you want to be stationed. (they still doing choice of duty station???) That will effect just what you do day to day.

Posts: 52 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post