New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to 35P
 Login/Join

Picture of Rangers94
posted
This question is for anyone who is currently or has previously served as a 35P. I am reclassing to 35P from 13 series through the BEAR program with a school date this year at DLI for Chinese. There is obviously going to be a steep learning curve coming into a new MOS as a SSG but I was wondering how bad it might be? Any advice along with personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 58 | Location: US | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't have that language SGT., but i can tell you that it is of the harder of the schoolhouses here and the NCOs who have taken chinese already and are in class with me right now have said that as long as you study and stay on top of things, chinese can be pretty simple.

That being said, the experience here is horrible most days and at times can be VERY stressful.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of pfunk
posted Hide Post
I'm also currently in the process of switching over(13P)as well, but I've been here at DLI for a little over a year now. While I don't know anything about the MOS specifically, I do know the in's and out's of DLI, so feel free to ask any questions about it if needed.

Posts: 11 | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I am currently a Korean linguist and went through the Korean program at DLI. As for the learning curve, a lot of deals with yourself. DLI was the most demanding and hardest schooling I have ever gone through. I believe a lot of it has to do with the individuals work ethic. It will be difficult, but if you have a good work ethic you will be able to pass for the most part. But there are some individuals that just do not have the ability to learn a foreign language and receive a lack of ability and will usually be transfered to a different language before reclassed. From my personal experiences I saw that soldiers who put in the effort always passed.

As for the MOS itself after you graduate from DLI you will head to Goodfellow AFB to complete AIT. I felt that Goodfellow was a good introduction to the MOS itself, but also a waste of time. The things I learned there for the most part have not applied to my current job here in Korea. But I believe it really all depends on the unit you go to. Most Chinese linguists are stationed in Hawaii once they graduate from Goodfellow

Posts: 7 | Registered: 03 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Skipped DLI, but after talking to bunch of prior service guys I met at Goodfellow, they all liked it. Most guys I talked to were SSGs.. IET guys of course says they hated it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of INTEL NCO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rangers94:
This question is for anyone who is currently or has previously served as a 35P. I am reclassing to 35P from 13 series through the BEAR program with a school date this year at DLI for Chinese. There is obviously going to be a steep learning curve coming into a new MOS as a SSG but I was wondering how bad it might be? Any advice along with personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SSG what do you really wanna know shoot me a message here and i'll answer your questions

All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership.

Posts: 174 | Location: Fort Bragg, NC | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post