New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 series and polygraphs
 Login/Join

Picture of ozzzie
posted
Ive recently enlisted in 35N, and I heard that at your duty station you would need a lifestyle polygraph test, can anyone confirm if this is true or not please

Posts: 5 | Registered: 07 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
Some positions will required lifestyle polys, however most only requre CI (Counter Intel) polys.

If you end up getting orders, or going to a unit/job that requires a lifestyle, you will be told in advance, and have the option to take it or not. The only poly required for the majority of accesses, is the CI poly.

With that being said, there might have been some sort of policy change recently that I am not aware of...

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan

Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ozzzie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick answer! I have another question based off your answer, if you do refuse to take a polygraph for any reason or fail it, is it true you will be reclassed based on the needs of the army?

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
My first question would be why are you so concerned about taking a poly? Are you untrustworthy? Did you do drugs, and dont want people to know? That might be an indication that MI isnt the route to go??

Secondly, the CI poly does not delve too much into specifics or personal life, other than connections you have to foreign nationals and your anbility to fufill the restrictive requirements of holding a clearance and having certain accesses.

When it come to the CI, you will most likely have to take one, esp since you are a 35N and need it for most of your accesses. When it comes to the full scope (lifestyle) poly, only certain assignments/jobs require them, and if you choose not to do one, then those options will never be available to you (those are usually the besta nd most badass jobs too).

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

“I am the punishment of God... If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” ― Genghis Khan

Posts: 273 | Location: HQ J2, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, NE | Registered: 20 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ozzzie
posted Hide Post
Im trustworthy and have nothing to hide, its just I know I'll get nervous and I dont want that showing up as a lie, so if I know ahead, I'll figure I wont be so nervous and be more prepared to take it. But thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it!

Picture of 98C40_35N40
posted Hide Post
Actually being nervous is a good thing, it allows for a greater distinction between trutha nd lie.

Just answer the questions and if you arent lying you will be okay. Also, dont lie.. dont even try, they will def find out.

NCO's Lead The Way!

SFC Nick Martinez
B Co, 3rd MI BN (AE)
Camp Humphreys, KOR

Picture of ozzzie
posted Hide Post
I wont lie, I'll tell the truth .

posted Hide Post
Believe me when I say this, once you actually come into the Military and see some of the yahoo's that serve with you, you'll realize how flawed a lot of your imagination is with your preconceived Hollywood notions of Military Intelligence are.

Lifestyle polys are very rare, your joining the Army not the CIA, or any other 3 or 4 letter acronym. Don't let me rob your morale, but it just isn't as "special"/exclusive as you may believe it to be. Its is still an honor to serve, and you will define many aspects of your life by your service. Congrats and welcome to the team.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of SGTsquint
posted Hide Post
I've had several of my soldiers that were scared stiff when they found out they had to take the CI poly for access to some of the sites. Heck, I even had one or two that have had to retake the poly because they were so nervous that they threw off the readings.

In all I've had both the lifestyle and the CI and while the lifestyle does go much more indepth into personal things as long as you have nothing to hide and are trustworthy it's at worst a few hours of your life you will never get back that makes your job accessible.

Posts: 12 | Location: FT. Meade | Registered: 25 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OZ Lucas:
Ive recently enlisted in 35N, and I heard that at your duty station you would need a lifestyle polygraph test, can anyone confirm if this is true or not please

For 35N's you do a CI Poly while you are in AIT. It is done in the middle of the course and you are not able to complete the school if you dont pass. With that being said, I know of VERY few people who failed it. Just be honest and you will be fine.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
SGT Squint, what unit are you with at Meade?

Posts: 48 | Registered: 18 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I recently took a few Polygraphs(yes a few). I failed(they said inconclusive) the first one, they just had me come back the same day and take it again. From what I understand they wont submit it if you fail and will give you more than just one chance. As for me, I never want to take one again. Pissed me off that I was telling the truth and the machine said I wasnt.... The best part was everyone was making fun of me at work until they went and took theirs.

Its not that bad, just I think that my problem was I dont really believe in the trustworthiness of taking polygraphs anymore.

Posts: 136 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 07 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Polygraphs are notoriously wrong, which is why they are not allowed in a court of law. That being said, they can give an idea on someone, but that idea is often in error.

Then there are the "flatliners". There are very few of these people in the world. Essentially it means the examiner cannot get any kind of reading at all. Believe it or not, being a flatliner can actually have a real positive affect in certain MOSs, like MI and especially CI.

Posts: 49 | Registered: 28 July 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of AutobahnSHO
posted Hide Post
The hardest part about the army polygraph is staying awake. Smiler it's SOOOO boring! Big Grin

Maybe the lifestyle is more exciting- I took just the standard one...

Be Proud of what you do- and do it Well! ~me

Posts: 5284 | Location: Ft Gordon (Again!!!) :-| | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
At 1_Veteran: At least it didnt say you lied. the polygraphs proabably get rid of people who ACTUALLY do have bad intentions I'd imagine, otherwise I wouldnt think we would use them.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 25 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post