New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better to prepare for CI, FET or COIST?
 Login/Join

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
I mean, if by helping out in the intel you mean talking to people as opposed to staying on the FOB, then yes it will help your interpersonal skills with interacting with the local populace...

But as far as being a resume enhancer or something, I highly doubt it.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Well from the sound of things your 1SG must view you with high regard, sice he dosen't want you with the crapbags lol. Mechanics never seem to be understrength either so its safe to say he would prolly do a lot for you.

Posts: 2621 | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ArmyWife~N~Soldier
posted Hide Post
Well, we don't have very many good NCOs in our motor pool...lots of shitbags. I'm not the best mechanic but I help keep things running smoothly, or so I've been told. The truth is though, I've been out of my MOS pretty much my whole career so outside of like services and simple repairs, I'm not much good as a mechanic. That's one of the many reasons I'm re-classing. I do what I can, I don't just sit around and say "I can't do it" all the time, when I came in I told them up-front I didn't know my job but I was more than willing to learn. So that helped too. But there's a lot of dirty politics in our motorpool w/the higher-ups and it gets really exhausting, so I'm not looking forward to being w/those people for a whole year...

Posts: 759 | Location: Fort Carson, CO | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
35M, I got it, you dislike them both, especially the COIST. I have a small point for you however, just because its in the FM does not make it a violation of the UCMJ. As many NCO's get wrong, a FM is a guide, not a regulation. Not flaming you, just sayin. To the original question, I am a L and have operated on an HCT. If you are thinking about the intel field the best bet would (my opinion only) be the FET. I have never dealt with the COIST so I will bow to 35M's wisdom on that one. I did work with the FET's to some extent and the job the do would help you learn to deal with locals on a personal level, talk to them, etc. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth (probably less than 2). Good luck either way. Oh, it would probably do you some good to look into the FMs and the ARs (the ones that are not classified) to get an idea to help you decide.

Posts: 18 | Location: Unknown | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
If you're a 35L I'm surprised you don't know this but: FM 2-22.3 IS the law.

The laws and policies which govern what we can and cannot do when questioning detainees state that FM 2-22.3 is the de facto bible of what you can and cannot do.

Posts: 9 | Location: Bragg/OCONUS | Registered: 27 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
And yes, the COIST is a stupid idea, along with the idea of putting 35Ms in them... which is going to happen.

35M is a great job, but suffers from poor senior leadership and management.

Posts: 9 | Location: Bragg/OCONUS | Registered: 27 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68NI0U1:
35M, I got it, you dislike them both, especially the COIST. I have a small point for you however, just because its in the FM does not make it a violation of the UCMJ. As many NCO's get wrong, a FM is a guide, not a regulation. Not flaming you, just sayin. To the original question, I am a L and have operated on an HCT. If you are thinking about the intel field the best bet would (my opinion only) be the FET. I have never dealt with the COIST so I will bow to 35M's wisdom on that one. I did work with the FET's to some extent and the job the do would help you learn to deal with locals on a personal level, talk to them, etc. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth (probably less than 2). Good luck either way. Oh, it would probably do you some good to look into the FMs and the ARs (the ones that are not classified) to get an idea to help you decide.
I didn't see this, but to re-iterate what Backintheday said, FM 2-22.3 is the law. Not only does it contain parts of the UCMJ/Law of Land Warfare directly in the manual, but it outlines who is authorized to interrogate and run sources.

Believe me when I tell you that if something happened in another detention facility similar to Abu G and they looked at the manual and saw that only 35M/L should be running sources and only 35M should be interrogating whoever's leadership allowed that non 35M to interrogate would be in a heap of shit.

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Backintheday:
And yes, the COIST is a stupid idea, along with the idea of putting 35Ms in them... which is going to happen.

35M is a great job, but suffers from poor senior leadership and management.
I can agree to this for now. The Army recruited a bunch of a clueless E6s and E7s a few years back and now they are platoon sergeants and team leaders.

It's a bummer but it's true. I'd like to think that I do not fall into this category as I have been in the MOS since mid 2004.

The issue is also that they really lessened the requirements to graduate. I know an E6 that failed SOC with no repercussions, a warrant that failed the 10 course with no repercussions, etc.

Neither of these people are bad people, but do they really belong in the MOS???

Some people just aren't meant to be in the HUMINT field, and everyone seems to be afraid to say that out loud.

When I went to the strategic debriefer course, there were tons of DIA civilians that wrote reports at the third grade level - it was horrendous, and they basically forced me to mentor them to help them pass. I tried to explain that it wasn't that I didn't want to be a team player, but that holding their hand in a course where there was a 4 hour report writing class, a 45 minute refresher, an example and template on the shared drive was just setting them up for failure in the future.

If you can't write a report correctly with all of those tools at your disposal how are you going to do so when you are stationed at a remote FOB supporting an infantry battalion???

/rant

Picture of insertarmysaying
posted Hide Post
I did not know that mechanic was an MOS that qualified for a TS clearance.

Posts: 155 | Registered: 03 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by insertarmysaying:
I did not know that mechanic was an MOS that qualified for a TS clearance.

I have heard of bases, especially in Colorado, that require higher clearances just to be allowed on the base. I guess it really just depends if they are in the vicinity of materials that would need to be safeguarded.

My former NCOIC was given his TS as a MP because he had to guard an area(they were building a facility) that would eventually be TS.

Hate to speculate but maybe they were given clearances ahead of deployment in case they need to pull guard duty. At least ArmyWife~N~Soldier has had her opportunities expanded by having it.

Posts: 136 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 07 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Niv1989
posted Hide Post
As a member of a FET currently deployed, all I can say is that this is the best job I've ever had.

We do missions up to 10-12 days long, stay on small SP's without electricity or even structures, often sleeping on the ground or cots under cammo net. We do patrols with the infantry (not just FET missions). We keep up, and have come under fire and proven ourselves capable of reacting under contact. Moreover, we've retrieved information that is extremely important to our mission almost every time we go out.

As for the women running away....you won't see women on the street, but my team member and I have never had a problem getting into homes to talk to women. We're either asked by eager children to come inside, or walk up to an elder and just ASK if we can talk to the women of his household. They are receptive and welcoming 99.9% of the time. In fact, we've only had 1 incident where a female seemed reluctant to talk to us. They graciously feed us chi and candies or even lunch and talk about everything from security in their village to their marriage and kids.

Anyone who thinks that COIN or FET (CST's) don't work, isn't properly working their teams as they were meant to be used, either out of ignorance, or a deep determination to see the program fail (which I've seen a few times. Not everyone is eager to have women out there under fire).

I don't know much about CST, only what I've heard by rumor.

Know that if you do decide to do FET, you will have to endure the same hardships and danger as the 11B's you work with. Get used to sleeping outside, not having a bathroom (go on line and by a device that lets you use a cat-hole: see Amazon). Believe me, when you're on patrol and you have to pee or Die, and you can't drop trow in the middle of the road, or step off the road to an uncleared area for privacy, a P-EZ is a life-saver, literally. You'll get used to not showering other than a water bottle wash off for up to 2 weeks. You'll walk around until your feet want to die and you're drenched in sweat.

And it will be worth every second of pain if you love your job.

Last point: if you're in this for a CAB or to try to be 11B, forget it. One thing we never considered during all the training we had--When you come under fire you have ONE mission---Protect the Unarmed, Civilian, American Citizen, Female Interpreter on your Team!! Period. She's paid to interpret, not be left behind when you try to go running into a firefight. Her Safety will be your primary mission.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post