Find
Notify
Tools

Mp's Saluting Officers
 Login/Join

Picture of Bandit 2
posted Hide Post
Nando,
I noticed from your profile you're in Iraq. I did a year with my unit in Baghdad and like everyone else is saying, that's BS. You do have to salute officers, armed or not. Many times after the initial ground war ended, we were told to salute officers outisde our compound while in the city, BIAP, green zone, etc.

What I'm curious about from all the other MP's out there is, doesn't anyone else have a problem saluting in a combat environment? I mean, when you're still being forced to wear battle rattle and Kevlar and be armed 24/7, isn't that a combat environment? Incoming mortars/rockets/RPG's? Last time I checked, that meant [i:dde6ca7993]combat[/i:dde6ca7993]! But, it got silly like that over there a few months after the ground war "ended" and I'm just glad to have gotten out when we did (April 2004). No offense to my friends in the 545th, but when the 1st Cav came to town about six months ago, it got even worse with things like this, but that's another post for another day.

Looking forwrd to your thoughts and be safe!

Posts: 6 | Location: Connecticut, USA | Registered: 26 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not an MP but I hang out with 'all them alkies' all the time. The final word in our conversation was... since your supposed to salute at 6 paces, it is easy to withdraw the salute and protect oneself. When it comes to a previous post on the first page by BatesD, a Soldier in confinement must still salute Commissioned Officers, regardless of whether they are confined or not, friendly or not (unless the [i:eb34f50e20]Officer[/i:eb34f50e20] is the EPWs).

Posts: 20 | Location: Cp. Henry, Daegu, Korea | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
AR 600-25

[quote:aad4bc7326]Salutes are not required to be rendered by or to personnel who are driving or riding in privately-owned vehicles except by gate guards who will render salutes to recognized officers in all vehicles unless duties are of such a nature as to make the salute impractical.[/quote:aad4bc7326]

Posts: 28 | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
this is a little late but from day 1 of my military careere i was told that while working mp duties and under arms it is not mandatory for me to salute officers or stand at parade rest for nco's. the reasoning for this is 1. because it makes your weapon much more accessible to people: if someone were standing 16 feet away from me holding a knife or other weapon, they would be able to inflict harm on me if the charged me before i would have drawn my weapon, locked and loaded, switched to fire and raised it to them. this applies for anyone. if you don't believe me, try it with a buddy (without the gun of course!). the second reason is because if we respond to a call and as soon as we show up we salute the officer or stand at parade rest for the nco involved, we loose all control of that situation because the higher ranking individual will try to use their rank against us. when checking id's at the gate, we salute. Having said all of that, it also falls back on common sense. If you are not in a threatening environment then what is the problem with saluting an officer. I salute officers if they are not directly involved in a negative way pertaining to my job (I.E. them being the reason I was called out to something). It all boils down to the individual.

Posts: 14 | Registered: 17 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ThatGuy253
posted Hide Post
I CAN TELL YOU FOR MY UNIT HERE ON FORT LEWIS, WA; A MAJORITY OF US DO NOT SALUTE ANY OFFICER BELOW A LT. COL. IF I AM JUST WALKING AROUND AND NOT INVOLVED IN A INCIDENT, I WILL QUICKLY SALUTE AND GIVE THE GREETING OF THE DAY. BUT WE ARE NOT EXPECTED TO SALUTE ANY OFFICER WHILE IN EXECUTING OUR AUTHORITY AS A M.P.; OUR COL. TOLD US THAT IF THEY HAVE A ISSUE WITH IT, JUST SAY "SIR/MA'AM, I'M SORRY BUT YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THIS CASE HAS TAKEN YOUR RANK OUT OF CONSIDERATION." THAT WILL LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE GETTING THE SAME TREATMENT AS ANYONE ELSE.

AND NO WAY IN HELL WILL STAND AT PARADE REST FOR ANY N.C.O. ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT OFFICER SAFETY WOULD UNDERSTAND WHY. WE HAVE ACTUALLY HAD A E-7 ORDER A PFC (MP) TO PARADE REST DURING A TRAFFIC STOP... THE CSM. LATER GIVE THAT E-7 A LIL TALKING TO... ;-)

STANDING AT PARADE REST IS EVEN MORE DANGEROUS THAN SALUTING. I'VE LEARNED IN MY TIME, SOLDIERS ARE HUMAN: A LOT OF RANK OR NO RANK, THEY ALL COMMIT CRIMES...

AND DON'T GET ME WRONG, WHEN NOT PERFORMING MP DUTIES, I'M THE FIRST ONE TO PAY THE DUE RESPECT TO ANYONE WHO HAS EARNED IT, BUT JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN ON DUTY.

Posts: 4 | Location: Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
This thread has been here since before I was, and I've failed to throw in my 2 cents until now for two reasons:

1. I forgot it was even here.

2. It showcases that characteristic ignorance that MP's always get accused of for having.

First...
quote:
...as we show up we salute the officer or stand at parade rest for the nco involved, we loose all control of that situation because the higher ranking individual will try to use their rank against us.

That's the biggest load I've ever heard. Have you ever taken psychology? Most officers will respond positively to being treated like officers. If you treat them like s***, then they will most definitely try to show you who's boss. So yeah, YOU LOST control, but they didn't take it.

I do agree that standing at parade rest is a nono. IN MOST CASES. You can't tell me that if the SMA came up to you while you were just standing by your car, you wouldn't go to Parade Rest. If you didn't and I was him, I'd slap you... with some UCMJ action.

Hey MPs: CUT THE CRAP. Everyone's innocent until proven guilty, you know that. So stop pretending your gun and lack of a badge that you think you should have gives you the right and/or privledge to use customs and courtesies whenever you feel like it. 'Cuz guess what? THERE'S NO REG ON THIS BS. You'd be surprised by how much cooperation you get when you treat soldiers like people, not total peons.

Get a grip...and lose the 'tudes... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Medical_SGT
posted Hide Post
Well said Smittaayy. Way to POLICE up your buddies.

Posts: 174 | Location: FT. Rucker, AL | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Private Kelly:
I CAN TELL YOU FOR MY UNIT HERE ON FORT LEWIS, WA; A MAJORITY OF US DO NOT SALUTE ANY OFFICER BELOW A LT. COL. IF I AM JUST WALKING AROUND AND NOT INVOLVED IN A INCIDENT, I WILL QUICKLY SALUTE AND GIVE THE GREETING OF THE DAY. BUT WE ARE NOT EXPECTED TO SALUTE ANY OFFICER WHILE IN EXECUTING OUR AUTHORITY AS A M.P.; OUR COL. TOLD US THAT IF THEY HAVE A ISSUE WITH IT, JUST SAY "SIR/MA'AM, I'M SORRY BUT YOUR INVOLVEMENT IN THIS CASE HAS TAKEN YOUR RANK OUT OF CONSIDERATION." THAT WILL LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE GETTING THE SAME TREATMENT AS ANYONE ELSE.

AND NO WAY IN HELL WILL STAND AT PARADE REST FOR ANY N.C.O. ANYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT OFFICER SAFETY WOULD UNDERSTAND WHY. WE HAVE ACTUALLY HAD A E-7 ORDER A PFC (MP) TO PARADE REST DURING A TRAFFIC STOP... THE CSM. LATER GIVE THAT E-7 A LIL TALKING TO... ;-)

STANDING AT PARADE REST IS EVEN MORE DANGEROUS THAN SALUTING. I'VE LEARNED IN MY TIME, SOLDIERS ARE HUMAN: A LOT OF RANK OR NO RANK, THEY ALL COMMIT CRIMES...

AND DON'T GET ME WRONG, WHEN NOT PERFORMING MP DUTIES, I'M THE FIRST ONE TO PAY THE DUE RESPECT TO ANYONE WHO HAS EARNED IT, BUT JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN ON DUTY.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of PA_in_2ID
posted Hide Post
hahhaha Thats funny.

What did you upload that to a share site, then plug the tag url?

Great post Smitaaay.....

Posts: 548 | Location: Camp Hovey, Korea | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of 35 Series
posted Hide Post
I took it from maddox's site and put it on my site.

"an Army Linguist" - Resources and more about being an Army linguist

Posts: 2327 | Location: CONUS | Registered: 30 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of ATControl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trumpetist1:
I'm not an MP but I hang out with 'all them alkies' all the time. The final word in our conversation was... since your supposed to salute at 6 paces, it is easy to withdraw the salute and protect oneself. When it comes to a previous post on the first page by BatesD, a Soldier in confinement must still salute Commissioned Officers, regardless of whether they are confined or not, friendly or not (unless the [i:eb34f50e20]Officer[/i:eb34f50e20] is the EPWs).

I am pretty sure thata reg out there (i didnt see it in AR 600-25) states that a soldier in confinement(a prisoner) has lost the right to salute.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with Kelly with the officer saftey... I feel that It all depends on common sense. I will do what my rank can afford at the time of the incident. 600-25 1-3 (E)states that we as MP's do have to salute even under arms BUT, it also states 1-3 (G)That its up to local commanders. I WILL NOT on a traffic stop or conducting investigations but it won't hurt to salute when normally passing an officer out of the blue.
Parade rest is the modified position of attention... i personally don't.

Collision Investigator

Posts: 8 | Location: Ft Belvoir, Va | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nando:
One of the MP's in my platoon (SPC) was passing by an officer. He did not salute her. She stopped him and told him he needed to salute her. He responded with "I do not need to salute you because I am under arms, ma'am". She said, "Oh okay, and walked away".

I talked to this MP and told him he needed to salute her and then I asked why he did not. He said that he did not need to salute her because he was under arms and it makes it easily accessible to reach for his pistol. He said he heard this from his old MP unit back in Korea.

I have never heard of this before. I told a few of my other MP buddies and they disagreed as well with the exception of another soldier. It happened to be that both of these soldiers were stationed in Korea.

Has anybody else ever heard of this ??? As far as I know, there is no regulation stating that MP's are excluded from saluting officers for the reason of having an M9 in their pistol belt.

after being an MP for 8 years and running Here's how it works. You are required to salute an officer EVEN WHEN UNDER ARMS unlessit would put you or others at risk (i.e. if the soldier is apprehending the officer or someone in the local area)

Posts: 155 | Registered: 04 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I was an MP and was trained to not salute officers while under arms. We also did not stand at parade rest or attention while we had our weapon. It comes down to MP safety, not anything more. I don't know if it's in any specific regulation, but that's what the instructors taught us and also how we did things in our units...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of k9nermp
posted Hide Post
Ok this has been going for a while... I was trained that while working at a gate any BLUE decal on a vehicle regardless of whom is in the vehicle you will salute, of course you see the decal before you know who is in the vehicle but that's just how I was training. I used to salute retired Officers, they love it!

As for parade rest, I will for a CSM however I modify it a little. What I do is since I am left handed my right hand is the only one that will go behind my back while my left arm hangs over my pistol.

Now Officers, beat me... depends on if I have my dog out if I salute or not. I will if I don't but if he is out I do not salute, I have yet to have an Officer have a problem with that. Now traffic stops I do not salute, but I also don't generally give tickets to Officers.

The average Shepard can run 35mph, can you??

Posts: 231 | Location: Ft Jackson | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post