ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  All Polls    Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Poll Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
 Login/Join

Picture of admin
posted

Question:
When I worked at NATO I had the benefit of working with military members from all different countries. I worked with some turkish that spoke perfect english, one even had a New Jersey accent. After talking to him I found out he lived in the US, spoke very little Turkish and had to do one year in the Turkish Military to keep his Turkish Citizenship. I know there are other countries that have "conscript" time. (Conscription @ Wikipedia) (Definition of Conscript from Answers.com)

So, should the able-bodied men and women that hold a U.S. Citizenship be required to provide a minimum amount of time to the U.S. Military?

Choices:
Yes
No

posted Hide Post
I don't think people should be required to join the military. I think it would lower the quality of service members we have becuase you would have people who don't want to be in the military being forced to join. What would their motivation be to actually be a good troop?

Plus, America is supposed to be the "land of the free." that includes being free to decide if you want to serve in the military or not.

My Photos: www.flickr.com/photos/thefrosty1
My blog (it's new and pretty and gets updated almost daily): www.gypsygentilli.com
MySpace: www.myspace.com/gypsygentilli

Posts: 378 | Location: Barstow, CA | Registered: 14 August 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree with you Frosty. But I feel if you want to be able to make decissions about our society, you should first prove that you put the good of the people above yourself. Nobody should be forced to serve, they just shouldn't be allowed to vote if they don't.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of Aviation101
posted Hide Post
What's one year of your life??

Most people waste their time and do nothing worth while for them or others.

Daddy is right about the voting, too.

The real hero is the man who fights even though he is scared. General Patton

Posts: 596 | Location: Fort Huachuca, Az | Registered: 05 September 2005Report This Post

Picture of Epic Honor
posted Hide Post
I like the German way. Either military service or civil service, pick one. The majority of people would choose the civil service and that is fine. I agree with Frosty about conscription lowering the quality of people. But I also think people should have some sense of civil responsibiltiy in them. It is a high privilege to be a US citizen and to enjoy our lifestyle, not a God-given right, as too many Americans think.

Posts: 776 | Location: Fort Carson | Registered: 02 October 2003Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't think civil service should be required to vote. We are a democracy and included in that is the ability for all citizens to vote, giving every citizen a voice.

My blog (it's new and pretty and gets updated almost daily): www.gypsygentilli.com

Picture of /elsinore98
posted Hide Post
I'm with Epic Honor on this one. If folks were given options of how to serve, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing. I think the positives would outweigh the negatives.

Posts: 353 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 03 November 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by /elsinore98:
I'm with Epic Honor on this one. If folks were given options of how to serve, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing. I think the positives would outweigh the negatives.

I don't agree because the country would still be taking how ever many years of someone's life and forcing them to do something they may not want to do just because they were born here, as if they have a choice on where to be born. They are being punished for simply being born. Of course, some may not consider it a punishment, but I'm sure some would.

People always talk about how our military is there to protect and defend freedom, but forcing people into civil service takes away freedom. The freedom to make your own choices on whether you want to serve your country or not (in whatever capacity).

Picture of Caffeine Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aviation101:
What's one year of your life??

Most people waste their time and do nothing worth while for them or others.

Daddy is right about the voting, too.

Plus we'd also not have to worry about retention.

Posts: 431 | Location: U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan (living it up in South Korea!) | Registered: 28 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
2.6 million servicemembers. That is an approximate total including active and reserve componants.

Approximately 5 million people will turn 18 this year. A significant portion of them are "able bodied".

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of SSG Hammy
posted Hide Post
I think that all able bodier people should have to serve in either the military or the civil servive in order to attain certian privliges, such as the ability to vote.
I don't think that they should have to serve in order to be considered citizens.
This way the people who decide the fate of our country (the voters) would have shown a dedication to the best intrests of our country.

Posts: 215 | Location: Ft. Lewis | Registered: 24 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
think of the people you went to high school with. how many of them would you want serving along side you. not just your friends. everyone in your high school. for me, the answer is none of the ones who didnt join already.

I do think that, being that the majority of the millitary comes from the lower-middle to lower economic tax brackets, families above a certain income level should have to pay a tax if one family member is not in the military. they can afford it, they might as well sacrifice something. the money could be used for better pay, benefits, and equipment for those of us who do serve.

Picture of Caffeine Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAG_Korea:
think of the people you went to high school with. how many of them would you want serving along side you. not just your friends. everyone in your high school. for me, the answer is none of the ones who didnt join already.

Yeah and when you think about them remember how many of them ask you "if you want fries with that?" in a drive thru.

The Army can at least give those that need some guidance what they are looking for.

Posts: 431 | Location: U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan (living it up in South Korea!) | Registered: 28 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
The Army isn't for everyone. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that. People should not be penalized because they don't wish to be in the military.

While the Army can give guidance to some, others can't handle the lifestyle and they shouldn't be forced to.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caffeine Addict:
The Army can at least give those that need some guidance what they are looking for.

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that I wouldnt want them in a foxhole with me.