ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  All Polls    Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
We have enough trouble getting the volunteers to show up every drill. I've got enough to do without hunting down conscripts who would rather sleep in than soldier.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of SSG Hammy
posted Hide Post
I didn't say that everyone should join the military. I think everyone should serve some sort of civil service or serve in the military. I realize that everyone is not cut out for the military. I also agree that there are many people that I see that I would not want to serve with.

Posts: 215 | Location: Ft. Lewis | Registered: 24 October 2005Report This Post

posted Hide Post
do something like that, and they will get what they ask for.

"A f*$ck up job"

"life is like a toliet bowl, sometimes you get s#!ted on"

posted Hide Post
2 more chances then an other than honorable.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post

Picture of CavGuy145
posted Hide Post
No draft! A volunteer force is the best way to go. I don't want to deal with a bunch of troops that don't want to be in the military. I would like to see something like compulsory service. Not necessarily military but maybe some sort of community service for a year or two. Germany has some sort of system like this. If a person is a consciencious objector they can do something non-military but still fulfill their service requirement.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't." General George S. Patton

Posts: 8 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 25 February 2006Report This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
I always wondered how KATUSAs (Korean Augmentee to the US Army) and ROK army soldiers felt about having to serve a mandatory two years in the military. It was recently explained to me that almost everyone hates it, but they do it because they know what's good for them. Their 2 years or more stays with them forever, and can actually be the difference between employment and unemployment. Companies look at that, and can mean they get paid more or less, depending on their length of service. Basically, they have to mandatorily serve, but it comes with incentives.

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Report This Post

Picture of grlrplmstr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think that, being that the majority of the millitary comes from the lower-middle to lower economic tax brackets, families above a certain income level should have to pay a tax if one family member is not in the military. they can afford it, they might as well sacrifice something. the money could be used for better pay, benefits, and equipment for those of us who do serve.

Hey, didn't they do that in the Middle Ages? If you didn't want to serve, you paid the king? Anyway, I don't want EVERYBODY. Able bodied doesn't mean able minded. It's hard dealing with people who might have been brought up to see you as less than they, even if you were brought up in a better social/economical position; now you have to deal with people who will say "I can buy you!!"

Just my two cents to start some $#!+

Posts: 224 | Location: Platoon Mama in the Last Frontier!! | Registered: 08 August 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
You know it would be a nice thought that all US Citizens could be reliable to serve in the military, but we all know that won't be possible. I have proccessed too many DFR (Dropped From Rolls) Packets to have any faith that people not wanting to join the military will do any better than some Soldiers who volunteer, but had a change in commitment to uphold their contract. I have always thought if a person does not want to join willingin then they shouldn't join at all...

Posts: 522 | Location: FT Campbell | Registered: 18 December 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Everyone should serve freedom isn't free..WE PAY FOR IT!

Picture of SFC E
posted Hide Post
I don't think conscription is the answer, and here's why:

1.) Those who decide not to serve are still tax-payers. They pay our salaries. As Will Rogers once said, "Taxes are nothing more than the dues we pay for the privlige of living in an organized society." We keep it organized, they pay us. Are they not paying their dues?

2.) How many civilian contractors have been "Deployed" agaianst their will in support of the GWT? My Dad, for one (who happens to be 62 years old) spent 12 months in the middle east in support of operations against his will (and still paid taxes) and never served a day of military service in his life. But he served...did he not?

People everywhere are supporting operations and don't "wear the uniform". The way I see it, we are already conscripting people.

Posts: 66 | Location: 458th Engr Bn / 99th RRC | Registered: 23 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of RL_FragMaster
posted Hide Post
Conscription is never the answer.

I work with KATUSA's every day, and I honestly have to say that the work ethics of *some* of them are below standard.

The way I see it is:
A) The way our ethics have gone downhill in the last few decades or so, makes me not want to work with someone who doesn't want to be there.

B) Conscription is not part of the definition of a free society. We (Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and yes, even Airmen) pay for it because we want to.

-In WoW I'm the guy that never made it past Rank 5, solely for the purpose of not becoming an officer.

Posts: 3 | Location: Yongsan, South Korea | Registered: 24 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of ARMY FNG
posted Hide Post
I sometimes get thanked for being in the military by ppl that see me in uniform or by somebody that finds out that I am in the military. I really find a hard time saying something back. Mostly because I don’t mind being in the military and I really didn’t join thinking of the impact I was going to have on other ppl lives. To me it was just a “career move.” I keep telling myself that if I get thanked again by somebody I will just thank them back. I will thank them for taking advantage of the freedom that I and others voluntarily serving in the Armed Forces are protecting.

I could pretty much go on and on about that but to get back on topic NO I will not want there to be Conscription. I will like to see more ppl (especially younger ppl, the future of this country) take advantage of the great opportunities afforded to them by the US.

Picture of _
posted Hide Post
Even though this is sort of off topic from the original subject, I agree with ARMY FNG when you say you have a hard time saying something back. I sometimes find it difficult when people thank me also. I don't do it for any attention, I do it for the service to my country and because I enjoy my job. I usually thank them back for their support of our armed forces. Otherwise I feel bad if I don't say anything back. Smiler

Picture of SFC E
posted Hide Post
I simply smile and say "It's my duty" They usually smile back. Enough said...

Posts: 66 | Location: 458th Engr Bn / 99th RRC | Registered: 23 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of SGT French
posted Hide Post
Yes, and no. I think that everyone should serve in some type of civil service at least 2 years of their life. Not everyone can do what we do and wouldn't do a good job but most everyone can handle it and if YOU can YOU should. Big Grin