ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  All Polls    Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think that if you plan to hold a political office, one requirement should be that the person served in the military for a minumum of 4 years. That way, even if you liked or disliked the service you know what it is like to scarifice so much by so few for so many on a daily basis. May encourage politicians to think before they start pushing DEPORDs.

Posts: 225 | Location: 513th MI BDE, Fort Gordon, GA | Registered: 06 July 2006Report This Post

Picture of emmons_k
posted Hide Post
I'm just saying.....I find it real darn funny that everyone wants to make decisions and bash the military or the government and have no clue what it's like. I personally hate 1/2 of the people who's freedom I defend because of how f'in crazy they act. You know, burning the flag, killing innocent people, etc..... I think they should all do 4 years and do 1 year of that in another country so they can see how other people have to live from day to day.

Posts: 34 | Location: A.Co. 3/485 IT | Registered: 25 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of Mr. Guice
posted Hide Post
Nope I don't think so. A lot of people don't have the mental stability to deal with what soldiers go through day in and day out. For that matter a lot of soldiers don't have that stability. I think we function pretty well with this group of drunken volunteers we already have.

Posts: 7 | Location: West Point | Registered: 28 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of Spiffy medic
posted Hide Post
To stay in the US as an American citizen, I don't think military service should be mandatory. I think that if it were, it could come with possible lower crime rates and give people oppertunities they may have never thought possible, but I also think it would lower the quality of our military. Maybe the option of civil service or military service may offer better solution, I am not really sure.

However, I do believe politians, voters, judges, and anyone else involved in law making or interperting should be required to serve in the military before taking on such a role. How can you take advantage of a system you are not willing to die for? Also, how can you send people to die for a system that you are not willing to do the same? But this is coming from someone who believes that only NCOs should be able to become a Commisioned officer. How can you lead something you have never been?

Posts: 16 | Location: KAF, Afghanistan | Registered: 01 April 2006Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm going to give a different take on this.

I don't mind being required to serve my country. However I don't think my talents would be best used with boots and a gun. I'm an Army wife- my husband does the shooting.

However, there are other ways I can contribute to our country. USO, Red Cross, civil service, and other gov't programs. I could serve by helping rebuild the Katrina region...there are many ways to serve without boots that improve and serve our country.

As for "anyone involved in law making or interperting should be required to serve in the military before taking on such a role" this is a dangerous statement. Talking about the military running the gov't! (Hezbollah anyone?) This is the very reason why we have three differant branches of gov't, for a check and balance system. The people vote for representation, thus the persons in power are creating law and making choices based on the people's wishes. If you don't like what the gov't is doing, hey it was your vote that put that person in power in the first place.

Willing to die for my country? Sure. But I would make a lousy soldier. And I might get you killed in the process.

Posts: 38 | Location: Columbus, OH/ Ft. Bliss | Registered: 14 March 2006Report This Post

posted Hide Post
The military is not for everybody, and for those of us who serve we all serve for different reasons. Some of us are not in the army, the army is in us and we love nothing more than to soldier. Some of us just want the college money, as soon as we finish paying off that GI bill we're outta here. In my opinion and personal situation, we needed an entry level job with benefits and an decent enough salary to live off of. Every able bodied person shouldn't serve, that's just silly. What is scary is that any able bodied person has the oppurtunity to serve, and many mentally unfit soldiers slide right through the cracks at MEPS and their basic training, and even AIT, right in to a light infantry unit, on to Iraq and in your squad.

posted Hide Post
Logically and theoretically it would benefit our country to do this. But to perform an action of this magnitude would take something so simple a child could do it. I say every able bodied person should go through a "boot camp" straight after highschool. And middle school and elementary. Gradually increasing in difficulty. No where near the real deal of BCT of course. But a little preview each time lasting about 2 weeks. This would cost billions. But i bet we would cut crime, overwieght, heart disease, and many more ailments in half or up to 75%!!!

Posts: 79 | Location: fort meade, md | Registered: 08 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of SFC E
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EchoWitSkillz:
I say every able bodied person should go through a "boot camp" straight after highschool. And middle school and elementary. Gradually increasing in difficulty.

Germany once had a program similar to what you just described. It was called the "Hitler Youth". I don't think we should be "Militarizing" our children.

Posts: 66 | Location: 458th Engr Bn / 99th RRC | Registered: 23 August 2006Report This Post

posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm a big fan of Athens and Sparta. Hitler was brilliant but a Psychopath as well. I respect brilliance but do not agree that it makes you superior. Well I just thought it would strengthen our Country, physically and mentally. Darn I sound like a recruiter. Ok.. well maybe we can just send them all Soy milk and fat free cookies.

Posts: 79 | Location: fort meade, md | Registered: 08 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of Smittaayy
posted Hide Post
I don't think every able-bodied person should serve in the military. But along the lines of what glass-ayla said, there's plenty more thing people could do in ways of civil service. For those of you who have been to Korea, I don't know if you've ever made and Korean friends. I made friends with a dude who worked at the cell phone booth in the PX. I gave him my dog (no, not to eat) and he took me out to dinner (no, not to eat dog). I asked him, and he explained the whole thing to me. ALL Korean citizens, ALL OF THEM, women included, are required to serve their country. the women thing isn't enforced, though. They just don't care about them serving. Actually its more like they don't want them to serve. But males. They have a choice. Either join the Republic of Korea Army, or join the Korean National Police force. Now depending on thier physical... uh... "attributes", they're given certain jobs. The fit ones are made into Infantry, the not so fit, Admin for instance. They serve for two years, then they can get out or stay in. And they have up until like age 22 to join. Does it work? For them, yeah. Would it work for us? ....Absolutely not. Americans are too corrupt and spoiled to handle any system the government could come up with. But anybody could work for DoD or something.

Posts: 1086 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 February 2005Report This Post

Picture of tbrock
posted Hide Post
I would not complain if we had a special boot camp for teenagers that quit school or graduate and think they can stay at home and not work.At least they would know what the military men and women go through, to just get started on a career.I think it would do them good and possibly bring the jobless rate down a notch or two.My two cents worth.

Picture of Milpopo552
posted Hide Post
NO, The army is not for everyone and I think are army is where it is becaue we have people here who want to be here. If you did not want to be here you would not care about it.

Posts: 116 | Location: Fort Bliss, TX | Registered: 08 August 2006Report This Post

Picture of EOD-Wife
posted Hide Post
My mind isn't completely made up on this one. But I do think this: If you don't vote, then don't complain about who wins. If you don't serve, then don't question the way we do the job. If you don't like it here, Canada is to the North and Mexico is to the South. Adios, ay?

Posts: 7 | Location: Ft. Bragg, NC | Registered: 13 March 2007Report This Post

Picture of monotone
posted Hide Post
If voluntary service is the code by which we measure civic virtue, what value would conscription have beyond swelling the ranks?

scouts out

Posts: 3 | Location: Germany | Registered: 11 March 2007Report This Post

posted Hide Post
I dont think we should because we need quality not quantity they already let to many people in with problems we spend thousands of dollars on one soldier and that's just for training so if we were to make everyone do just one year we would be out a butt load of money if that person graduates and if not then what we are back at were we started. I dont know about the voting thing because I dont vote at that is because I have never picked my boss I just do what I'm told I dont like to follow all of that it boring I have better things to do

Posts: 3 | Location: soon to be Ft Lewis | Registered: 27 January 2006Report This Post