ArmyStudyGuide.com Community

ArmyStudyGuide.com's Community is an Army Forum

ArmyStudyGuide.com    ArmyStudyGuide Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Community Discussion  Hop To Forums  All Polls    Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Should all able bodied US Citizens do time in the military?
 Login/Join

Picture of Drill Sergeant K
posted Hide Post
This country has given you many great things you can atleast give something back. I think that before college you should have to do three years in the military or two years of community service.

You can push them out of a plane, you can march them off a cliff, you can
send them to die on some God-forsaken rock, but for some reason you can't
slap them.

Posts: 57 | Location: Fort Jackson, South Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2006Report This Post

posted Hide Post
NO, there are some people out there I don't think should carry any kind of weapon, or that I wouldn't trust watching my back. We have enough thieves in the Army we don't need to let them all in.

Picture of 68W Do No Harm
posted Hide Post
The question is a loaded question with an answer of yes or no, the moderator talked of serve to vote,Robert Heinlien "Starship Trooper" great book terrible movie same theory. I liked the serve to vote but dont see it flying in this society, but other options are if one is just spitballing but not make serve or take but give get with business world tax breaks and incentives etc. Imagine the possibilty of person serving not paying state or part of the fed tax for life humm.

posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. The standards are already lower than they should be.

posted Hide Post
I strongly disagree with TheFrosty1. It would become like athletics where competition among peers will improve performance. Half of the soldiers are there because they need the money and education, not because they "want to be a soldier". I agree with Daddy Warcrimes, even though his name is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then you can't vote. That's how it was in Rome, that's how it should be here. A professional army is a breeding ground for corruption and aggression. Of course, part of the army needs to be professional, but if a significant portion is citizen, we wouldn't go to war so recklessly.

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Liberty8155:
I strongly disagree with TheFrosty1. It would become like athletics where competition among peers will improve performance. Half of the soldiers are there because they need the money and education, not because they "want to be a soldier". I agree with Daddy Warcrimes, even though his name is stupid. If you don't want to do it, then you can't vote. That's how it was in Rome, that's how it should be here. A professional army is a breeding ground for corruption and aggression. Of course, part of the army needs to be professional, but if a significant portion is citizen, we wouldn't go to war so recklessly.

Dude you revived a 4 year old thread for your first post, I don't think TheFrosty1 is going to respond, lol. At any rate you made a few good points.

Picture of LuckyLu
posted Hide Post
I would be vehemently against having mandatory military service for the fact that most of the decisions to use military force nowadays seem up to the President, not the people.

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." - Eisenhower

Posts: 480 | Location: Around the world.... | Registered: 15 August 2008Report This Post

Picture of SSG. T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLu:
I would be vehemently against having mandatory military service for the fact that most of the decisions to use military force nowadays seem up to the President, not the people.

100 people make a decision, 1 person must deliver the news to the public. The public disagrees with aforementioned decision, thus aforementioned person bears the burden and blame of said decision; The dilemma of the Presidency. What things seem are rarely what they are, nothing good has ever come from the idea that perception is reality. IMO let them all join, they do it in Korea. What's the worst that can happen? Suicide rate sky rockets? Dirtbags make rank? The Army would seemingly crumble from within? Funny, a lot of retirees say that's already happening/happened. I'm not that "in love" with the Army I guess, at 12 years shy of retirement, I already have short timers syndrome, lol. The Army will be okay, for all you hard chargers out there, there's always 1 or 2 asshole NCO's that got beat up in highschool, or never had a girlfriend/boyfriend that will keep those stinking privates in line, lol.

posted Hide Post
Thread locked because it's old and my name is stupid.

This is a ten level task

Posts: 2870 | Registered: 15 February 2004Report This Post